PDA

View Full Version : Easter Jeep Safari 2019

Hum Wee JR
04-28-2017, 06:32 PM
So Dad (4.3xj) and I are planning a trip to moab for Easter Jeep Safari in 2019. My daughter will be all grown up and out of school, wich means no worries about school scheadule anymoore. 2 years gives us pleanty of time to build, break, fix, upgrade and fine tune our jeeps. He will take his xj and I will be taking my tj and mighty mite.

I didn't know if anybody else from the forum wanted to go as well. If so you have 2 years to plan as well. There are trails from as simple as dirt roads with spectacular views of the dessert to gonna break the most awesome buggy. It would be great to meet some other members and have some fun wheeling.

jonb8
04-28-2017, 07:31 PM
Were going 2018 so I'm sure after my first time I'll find a way every year to get there.

4.3LXJ
04-28-2017, 08:19 PM
You will be welcome Jon. We would like to get some magazine coverage, dreaming I know. But we will have three generations of wheelers there and the Mighty Mite is an attention getter.

jonb8
04-29-2017, 12:39 AM
I know a guy, who know's he might be looking for a story.. I'll be wheelin with him at Harlan next week.

cantab27
04-29-2017, 02:24 AM
So Dad (4.3xj) and I are planning a trip to moab for Easter Jeep Safari in 2019. My daughter will be all grown up and out of school, wich means no worries about school scheadule anymoore. 2 years gives us pleanty of time to build, break, fix, upgrade and fine tune our jeeps. He will take his xj and I will be taking my tj and mighty mite.

I didn't know if anybody else from the forum wanted to go as well. If so you have 2 years to plan as well. There are trails from as simple as dirt roads with spectacular views of the dessert to gonna break the most awesome buggy. It would be great to meet some other members and have some fun wheeling.

can just see ya old man now .....:D:D

4.3LXJ
04-29-2017, 09:46 AM
can just see ya old man now .....:D:D

It has lockers :D

bluedragon436
04-30-2017, 09:49 PM
That's awesome... Hopefully I'll be settled in a good paying career and can swap the Ram 1500 for a CTD Ram.. to be able to tow that far of a distance... Not to mention my little one will be 3 by then... so hopefully she'll be good for a trip like that (with obvious stops here and there, as required...)... not to mention her enjoying Jeep fun!!

4.3LXJ
04-30-2017, 11:25 PM
Forest Service maintains Privies on the trail now. Almost civilized.

Dredwolf
05-13-2017, 08:17 PM
I was going to suggest I pass a message to Bob (Bad Luck here on the forum, but he is not on much) that you guys are planning a trip, he lives in Moab.

The wife and I were trying to get our heads around trying to plan for another trip also, this might be a great goal.

4.3LXJ
05-13-2017, 10:30 PM
Now there you go. Nothing like knowing someone local

Dredwolf
05-22-2017, 10:10 PM
I'll reach out to Bob to give him a head's up. You are going to have your hands full doing all the famous trails with the EJS, but Bob knows some cool hidden spots to go if you have time.

I'll see if we can get either the XJ or WJ ready, but we would be driving out. Who knows, maybe some awesome luck will happen.

4.3LXJ
05-22-2017, 11:08 PM
I am all for hidden spots etc. I think we will probably be going down to Arches National Park on at least two of those days

Dredwolf
05-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Believe it or not, you can "scout" with Google Earth many of the "Big Name" trails out there, like Hell's Revenge and Fins and Things.

I did just that, and I drove Hell's Revenge in a rented Farabee 4-door JK solo because of it....wife and kids were worn out from the drive from Flagstaff, and the runs we did as soon as we hit Moab. So while they napped in the motel, "out of his element" southern boy here went and ran Hell's Revenge.....and never saw another person on that trail until I got back on Sand Flats road.
I would have been more comfortable with a spotter in places, but I figured the only way back to the motel was to keep going.

bluedragon436
05-31-2017, 12:09 AM
Believe it or not, you can "scout" with Google Earth many of the "Big Name" trails out there, like Hell's Revenge and Fins and Things.

I did just that, and I drove Hell's Revenge in a rented Farabee 4-door JK solo because of it....wife and kids were worn out from the drive from Flagstaff, and the runs we did as soon as we hit Moab. So while they napped in the motel, "out of his element" southern boy here went and ran Hell's Revenge.....and never saw another person on that trail until I got back on Sand Flats road.
I would have been more comfortable with a spotter in places, but I figured the only way back to the motel was to keep going.

Yeah, that is pretty much where I am at.. if I ever manage to get to Moab, unless I have a CTD Ram and a trailer to make the trip cross country... I'll be doing the rent-a-Jeep Moab run.. I really would rather run my XJ on there (mainly to be able to know that my XJ is truly trail rated & tested)... and even more so, I am not a big fan of JK's.. lol...

4.3LXJ
05-31-2017, 10:17 AM
Yeah, that is pretty much where I am at.. if I ever manage to get to Moab, unless I have a CTD Ram and a trailer to make the trip cross country... I'll be doing the rent-a-Jeep Moab run.. I really would rather run my XJ on there (mainly to be able to know that my XJ is truly trail rated & tested)... and even more so, I am not a big fan of JK's.. lol...

If you are going to be trail rated James, tradition has it that it is the Rubicon that sets the bar for that :D As far as trails go, get on the Red Rock 4X4 list. They will send you a book with all the trails listed as well as a map and trail ratings. They have sent me one for the last 2 years

bluedragon436
05-31-2017, 09:04 PM
Yeah I'd love to do Rubicon trail as well.. I'd love to get truly "trail rated" on either Moab or Rubicon trails.. But will certainly look into the Red Rock 4x4 list..

4.3LXJ
05-31-2017, 09:41 PM
Around here the big boys have a saying. "Rubicon Rated, Fordyce Approved"

Dredwolf
05-31-2017, 10:29 PM
If you are going to be trail rated James, tradition has it that it is the Rubicon that sets the bar for that :D As far as trails go, get on the Red Rock 4X4 list. They will send you a book with all the trails listed as well as a map and trail ratings. They have sent me one for the last 2 years

The Red Rock group are a class act...we were in the Explorer running Onion Creek (can you say LOTS of creek crossings?!?) and had reached the turn around point to head back to Moab for an early dinner. The last trail section was sandy wash that needed a good bit of skinny pedal (least for a heavy SUV) to get through, and I could see a group coming, so we pulled to one side of the trail/road. I am still struck by the elderly gentleman and his wife in the yellow YJ with a 4-banger stopping to ask if we were okay....Once we confirmed we were, and looked the Explorer over, they asked us along for the run...I regret not taking them up on it. The elderly gentleman apparently served as a guide on occasion for Charles Wells, the guy who writes the FunTreks guidebooks for the awesome places.
I'll also plug the FunTreks books too. We used them for their purpose, and the wife turns them into trail diaries, about the date and times we did the trails, and whatever stupid thing I seem to always do that annoys/amuses her.

If you are going to Arches, besides the dramatic entrance road, you can also access the park "in the middle" by looking up BLM Road 378/Willow Springs. It's not terribly difficult, but a look at different terrain that has the awe-inspring arches just a short distance away. I have run the trail in a 2003 Explorer, a WK Grand Cherokee without low range, and a rental JK. I did touch skids on the Explorer, but that was expected.
When we were last there, there was a trail marker for some preserved dinosaur tracks very near the trail.

jonb8
06-08-2017, 09:20 AM
I got invited to go out and run The Rubicon with a big group and Fordyce. I'm just not going to be able to make it this year, I'm hoping to make it next year. I don't have a Tow Vehicle I'd trust to go that far, 30 something hrs for me. I need to build a great little xj and just leave it on the west coast so I could just fly out, ride and fly back.....

4.3LXJ
06-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Need a place to park it :D

jonb8
06-08-2017, 02:59 PM
I would love to be able to come out there and wheel once a year without pulling or driving both way's. Takes to much time with the drive and I have to stay gone so long. I'm not going to rent a jeep either, I would be afraid to scratch it and what fun would that be...LOL

4.3LXJ
06-08-2017, 03:08 PM
Renting a Jeep, really expensive and you are right, can't scratch them. :D

jonb8
06-08-2017, 09:06 PM
Yea it doesn't sound like any fun, find me a decent West Coast xj that I can build, no since in dragging this rustbelt junk out that way...LOL

4.3LXJ
06-08-2017, 10:01 PM
You would have to tinker long distance. How is your reach?

jonb8
06-09-2017, 07:42 AM
Oh I could put together a decent wheeler in a couple day's in a parking lot...LOL

drakan1908
06-09-2017, 09:10 AM
Oh I could put together a decent wheeler in a couple day's in a parking lot...LOL
Sounds like an episode of Roadkill. Lol

Sent from a van down by the river