PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Baby Jesus/Help Me Tom Cruis

Infidel Edition
04-19-2017, 07:16 PM
WTF Bad Luck / No Joy in Muddville

So my wife had gotten me that aftermarket head (Titan http://www.titanengines.com/jeep-4-0-new-stroker-performance-cylinder-head-0331-7130-0630/)
It's supposed to be a "new cast" that doesn't have cracking issues of the 331 7120 and 630 casts.
As well, higher flow and etc......
* roughly measured the same as the original '93 7120 head that I had before.

So I've been building an engine over the last several months and took a '91 or '92 head that was in an XJ (I believe) and had it bored and decked and made sexxxy. Then added the stroker crank and pistons... and blueprinted it.

I got it back in my XJ and bolted to the tranny & motor mounts and have been piecemeal and ran into a
:bang::bang::bang::bang: roadblock today :bang::bang::bang:

The steering pump brackets sit 1/2" lower than the bracket holes!
I double checked everything
I even pulled the old water pump out and tried it to discover it's the same issue. So not the pump.
I measured the height of the new head as well as the top of the head to the bolt holes for the manifold.
ALL = SAME

Has anyone ran into this issue?

.............What if I went with the 97+ heads and the associated brackets and steering pump?
Is that setup more adjustable for this?

jonb8
04-19-2017, 07:59 PM
Is that the intake you used before? Is this a renix jeep? Got a pic of the pump?

Infidel Edition
04-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Same intake and same pump...Stock '93 on both
I pulled the pump off to show the bracket alignment better.

I'll upload a pic with the pump tomorrow.

Pookapotamus
04-19-2017, 08:51 PM
I have a water pump in my shop that does not fit for some reason, might be the same issue?.?.?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Infidel Edition
04-19-2017, 10:00 PM
I have a water pump in my shop that does not fit for some reason, might be the same issue?.?.?.

I thought it was the pump too
Put the old pump on to check... and it's the same error
:thumbdown:

I emailed Titan to see if they have guidance

jonb8
04-20-2017, 06:24 AM
If water pump is right then it's gotta be intake height on head. A 97 plus pump won't do you any good and you would also have to swap intake to 96+. I would measure how high the intake sits on your new and old head. That's the only thing that dictates height.

Infidel Edition
04-20-2017, 07:15 PM
Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh:rolleye0012:

Apparently when I was putting in the intake the nut that I heard drop was the alignment pin.
I couldn't get the actual pins out of the old head...And the new head comes without.
So I used a guys pin from NAPA. And they had 1 size too small or too big.
I used the size small and tried to rig it.

Apparently I failed.
Now I need to find those 2 pins SOMEWHERE.
...Their permanently attached on the old head.

:smiley-scared003:

Infidel Edition
04-20-2017, 07:38 PM
Found the part #
J3172318

$2.65 EA + $9 shipping
The other site was $17 for shipping!

Least I'll have the right parts and they won't fall out when they get hot.

jonb8
04-20-2017, 07:59 PM
Right on...glad you got it straightened out..

bluedragon436
04-20-2017, 09:40 PM
Ahhh.. at least it was something easy to figure out, and nothing major to repair.. no having to pull the head off or anything like that... figured it would be something random (simple) like that... I know when I did the engine swap in my friends XJ, had a similar alignment issue, not quite as bad as the one you had, but just loosened the intake up a bit, and started the bracket bolts and then tighten the intake back up. I mean if you want, feel free to ship that beauty to me, and I'll take care of getting the right studs in there, and the power steering all bolted back up... and ops check it all for you in my XJ!! LOL

Infidel Edition
04-21-2017, 09:31 AM
Grrrr on this $0.69 attempt at an alignment pin!

Now I'm just waiting on shipping from Tasca Parts ...on the wrong side of the country.
Fingers crossed, maybe end of next week...

jonb8
04-21-2017, 11:33 AM
I've removed the old dial pins with a pair of vice grips before. Not saying yours will come out but I just work them back and forth and use a little pb blaster. Not sure if you've tried yet.

Infidel Edition
04-21-2017, 03:51 PM
I've removed the old dial pins with a pair of vice grips before. Not saying yours will come out but I just work them back and forth and use a little pb blaster. Not sure if you've tried yet.

I tried a butane torch and some paraffin wax.
They're perma-fixed into that old head.
...new pins ordered.

The guys from Titan got back to me and their suggestion was to buy some 7/16 bolts and cut off the threads and the head... and it should be the right size.
~ Don't have time till next - next week so we'll see what we see.

..............thanks though:beer:

bluedragon436
04-24-2017, 10:28 PM
When are you expecting to get the correct alignment pins in?? If pretty close to the same time I'd just wait and run the proper pins... so you don't have to pull it all part again just to install them if the 7/16 bolt route doesn't work properly... But.. might have to try and remember the modified 7/16 bolt option.. when I get to building/rebuilding engine...

Charlie Foxtrot
04-25-2017, 05:22 PM
https://www.mcmaster.com/#steel-roll-pins/=17ctq9n
steel roll pins, 7/16" diameter, 2 day delivery; or you can try your local hardware outlet

Infidel Edition
04-26-2017, 09:44 PM
I'm at a conference till Sunday anyway
...And then have to do the anniversary thing with the wife all day.
So middle of next week I'd like to get back to work on it.

Though I'm also thinking about doing the big 3 and upgrading the 10 awg to 4 awg...
But soon!

Infidel Edition
04-28-2017, 09:13 PM
Gave up on waiting.... gonna try to cancel the order for the pins.
Still gotta pull the man back off and file the pin a bit,
.............but the wife made Shrimp Poor Boys! and lots of beer!

Took the 7/16th bolt and cut ...

And tapped it in with a hammer

Infidel Edition
04-28-2017, 09:15 PM
Note to anyone trying to do this... make sure and round the edges sufficiently as when you tap it in... it'll grab on the manifold and won't work!
You need to round the edges to make it slide :rolleye0012:

bluedragon436
05-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Note to anyone trying to do this... make sure and round the edges sufficiently as when you tap it in... it'll grab on the manifold and won't work!
You need to round the edges to make it slide :rolleye0012:

so lightly sand around the shank, and give a bit of angle to the end around the edges (beveled)??

Infidel Edition
05-02-2017, 08:43 PM
I didn't initially... And if the head doesn't line up, it digs into the aluminum and won't fully go on.

So rounding or such to make sure it slides on without digging in.

bluedragon436
05-02-2017, 08:47 PM
I didn't initially... And if the head doesn't line up, it digs into the aluminum and won't fully go on.

So rounding or such to make sure it slides on without digging in.

Oh ok... that makes sense... I'm sure if/when I get to that point... I'll probably try and try and try...before I think to run a bit of emory cloth around it, and to bevel the edges on both ends a bit...

Infidel Edition
05-04-2017, 08:50 PM
I used a Dremel...

bluedragon436
05-05-2017, 01:25 PM
I used a Dremel...

Yeah that would make even more sense... and speed up the process quite a bit..