PDA

View Full Version : Electric cooling fans

JeepPete
04-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Hey ya'll! I,m looking into running electric fans on my 2000 XJ anyone have any suggestions as to accomplish this? I see Fex-A-Lite offers a set up but at $900 seems pricey! Thanks for reading.

abebehrmann
04-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Hey ya'll! I,m looking into running electric fans on my 2000 XJ anyone have any suggestions as to accomplish this? I see Fex-A-Lite offers a set up but at $900 seems pricey! Thanks for reading.

A lot of people go with an electric fan out of a Ford Taurus if they want to get rid of the mechanical fan.

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm

4.3LXJ
04-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Abe is right, the taurus fan from the 3.0L V6 is a great fan. I run one and love it, but you really need to make a shroud for it so it can be fully effective. The thing about efans is that you need to match the factory mechanical fan cfm or you haven't gained a thing. And finding an 1800 cfm efan is not easy. That Taurus fan puts out a whopping 3800 cfm making it a great upgrade

bluedragon436
04-11-2017, 11:37 PM
Abe is right, the taurus fan from the 3.0L V6 is a great fan. I run one and love it, but you really need to make a shroud for it so it can be fully effective. The thing about efans is that you need to match the factory mechanical fan cfm or you haven't gained a thing. And finding an 1800 cfm efan is not easy. That Taurus fan puts out a whopping 3800 cfm making it a great upgrade

Guess it's time for me to source a Taurus to snag em.. Need every bit of help I can get to keep my beast cool... really don't want to run the heat again to cool her down when going slow if I can help it.. that made for a crappy wheeling event, sweating my ass off... lol

4.3LXJ
04-11-2017, 11:41 PM
James, I have a thread on here that includes the fan shroud I made for mine

bluedragon436
04-11-2017, 11:45 PM
James, I have a thread on here that includes the fan shroud I made for mine

I'll find that.. see if I can't manage to fandangle myself something similar, not nearly as nice I'm sure.. but so long as it works... Need to figure out why my AC fan is randomly cutting off/on anytime anything is on.. seems like it cuts off/on far more than it should.. going to talk to a few other folks that have 97+ XJ and see how theirs do.. but have been thinking about doing the Taurus fan mod for a while now.. especially with the having "overheat" issues already.. figure every bit can help..

98s1mms
04-12-2017, 01:21 AM

I replaced my radiator with a tri core aluminum radiator and it can with 3 8" e fans with wiring set up. Costed me about $120 plus all the coolant as well but works very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeepPete
04-12-2017, 03:07 PM
That set up sounds like what I'm looking for. Where did you get it?

98s1mms
04-12-2017, 11:17 PM
That set up sounds like what I'm looking for. Where did you get it?

Amazon. But its a very clean set up. Its hooked up to the thermostat where the original e fan was plugged in so they only turn on when hot. So far so good

bluedragon436
04-12-2017, 11:24 PM
Amazon. But its a very clean set up. Its hooked up to the thermostat where the original e fan was plugged in so they only turn on when hot. So far so good

So it just plugs in for power @ the same point the factory E0fan did, for all three fans?? Going to have to see if I can find a 3-fan setup on Amazon.. did it come with the shroud too or just the fans??

98s1mms
04-13-2017, 10:45 PM
Primecooling 3 Row Core Aluminum Radiator +Fan (9 Inches Dia.) for Jeep Cherokee /XJ ,Comanche/Pioneer/Wagoneer L4 /L6 Engine 1991- 01 (AT/MT,w/Trans Cooler) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2UNCID/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jwe8ybD35R2BQ

This is the one i got here. Now i just linked all the fans wiring and cut off the old e fan plug in and wired it to the new fans. Theres so soldering involved but nothing too crazy. You could just use wire nuts

98s1mms
04-13-2017, 10:46 PM
So it just plugs in for power @ the same point the factory E0fan did, for all three fans?? Going to have to see if I can find a 3-fan setup on Amazon.. did it come with the shroud too or just the fans??

Check post above