PDA

View Full Version : I killed my rear Dana 44

jeepin_idaho
04-06-2017, 01:33 AM
So last week I noticed a squeaking that eventually turned into a squeakinggrinding by the end of the week. It sounded like brakes and I knew it had been a while since I replaced my front brake pads and rotors so I figured it was time and bought the parts. Long story short, I was wrong. Instead, what I found once I got into the axle is that my rear passenger side bearing had disintegrated. I suspect that the bearings feel down into the differential which likely damaged the ring and pinion.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170406/329b0915972bd09ae80a2d434670e8e0.jpg

I've had some trouble with the OX locker in the past so it was also likely damaged. The axle shaft was riding on the inside of the tubes which scored the shaft and caused the retaining plate to become shaped like an egg. It also destroyed the brake pads, rotor, and caliper bracket.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170406/f9ace4139f0e8e14c2d3123c9ab1b5a1.jpg

I took this picture, sat on the couch, and started pricing fill size diesel pickups. 💲💲💲💲
Then I started pricing late model JKUs...💲💲💲

When both those ideas fell apart I began pricing out replacement axles. I was shocked at the price is Dana 44s in interior Alaska. I eventually decided to go with a Ford 8.8 from a 98 Ford Explorer from a local salvage yard. This one in particular already has a limited slip installed. So for $225 I was out the door with my "new" axle with all the associated parking brake cables. I haven't had a parking brake since I bought the xj in 2004 so that will be a welcome addition.

Tonight I ordered my new 4.56 gears to match the front. Tomorrow I'll pick up new rotors, callipers, pads, and parking brake shoes so that I can stay with a basically new axle. Once the gears and install kit arrives, I'll drop the axle off with my great install guy. New spring perches and shock mounts need to be welded on still too. Once everything is welded on, I'll really clean it up and give it a nice coat of paint. I'm also going to cap it off work a nice heavy duty diff cover.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170406/b0ca466bc833b9dc0340f4212c5bb2ff.jpg

So I was really bummed to have to do this but in the end, I'll have a (debatebly) stronger axle and a parking brake. #Upgrades

I'll be sure to post updates as things move along.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

abebehrmann
04-06-2017, 09:05 AM
So last week I noticed a squeaking that eventually turned into a squeakinggrinding by the end of the week. It sounded like brakes and I knew it had been a while since I replaced my front brake pads and rotors so I figured it was time and bought the parts. Long story short, I was wrong. Instead, what I found once I got into the axle is that my rear passenger side bearing had disintegrated. I suspect that the bearings feel down into the differential which likely damaged the ring and pinion.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170406/329b0915972bd09ae80a2d434670e8e0.jpg

I've had some trouble with the OX locker in the past so it was also likely damaged. The axle shaft was riding on the inside of the tubes which scored the shaft and caused the retaining plate to become shaped like an egg. It also destroyed the brake pads, rotor, and caliper bracket.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170406/f9ace4139f0e8e14c2d3123c9ab1b5a1.jpg

I took this picture, sat on the couch, and started pricing fill size diesel pickups. 💲💲💲💲
Then I started pricing late model JKUs...💲💲💲

When both those ideas fell apart I began pricing out replacement axles. I was shocked at the price is Dana 44s in interior Alaska. I eventually decided to go with a Ford 8.8 from a 98 Ford Explorer from a local salvage yard. This one in particular already has a limited slip installed. So for $225 I was out the door with my "new" axle with all the associated parking brake cables. I haven't had a parking brake since I bought the xj in 2004 so that will be a welcome addition.

Tonight I ordered my new 4.56 gears to match the front. Tomorrow I'll pick up new rotors, callipers, pads, and parking brake shoes so that I can stay with a basically new axle. Once the gears and install kit arrives, I'll drop the axle off with my great install guy. New spring perches and shock mounts need to be welded on still too. Once everything is welded on, I'll really clean it up and give it a nice coat of paint. I'm also going to cap it off work a nice heavy duty diff cover.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170406/b0ca466bc833b9dc0340f4212c5bb2ff.jpg

So I was really bummed to have to do this but in the end, I'll have a (debatebly) stronger axle and a parking brake. #Upgrades

I'll be sure to post updates as things move along.

Sorry about the tough luck, although I'm sure it will be nice to have a parking brake again. Now you'll be able to ship it back to the lower 48, if you ever choose to, instead of being forced to drive it due to no parking brake.

Might be worth it to replace the clutch-packs in the limited slip while they've got it open.

4.3LXJ
04-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Sorry to hear about the D44. The 8.8 is a good rear end, stronger housing.

jeepin_idaho
04-06-2017, 01:45 PM
Sorry to hear about the D44. The 8.8 is a good rear end, stronger housing.
Thanks for weighing in. I value your thoughts on this. I actually thought to myself on Sunday, "I sure wish I had 4.3LXJ phone number..."

Right now I feel like I'm making a good choice.

jeepin_idaho
04-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Sorry about the tough luck, although I'm sure it will be nice to have a parking brake again. Now you'll be able to ship it back to the lower 48, if you ever choose to, instead of being forced to drive it due to no parking brake.

Might be worth it to replace the clutch-packs in the limited slip while they've got it open.
Being able to ship it is a huge deal that most people (non-military type) wouldn't understand. I guess I need to price it the clutch packs. I just figured that I would use what's on there for now and then when they wear out, replace them work a ratchet-style automatic locker.

4.3LXJ
04-06-2017, 03:39 PM
IIRC, LOKKA has one that fits the Ford limited slip

Mudderoy
04-06-2017, 05:15 PM
I understand better now what happened. I thought it was the outer bearing and couldn't imagine that could have done so much damage.

4.3LXJ
04-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Just for my own info, what trouble did you have with the OX?

jeepin_idaho
04-07-2017, 08:00 PM
Just for my own info, what trouble did you have with the OX?
The original installer didn't use loctite on the locker bits and they backed out, sheered off, stripped out, and the bolt heads got caught in the ring and pinion. The bolt hole the were fixed with helicoils and liberal application of loctite. Now the most frequent problem had to do with the cable coming out of adjustment. A new cable and shifter would likely good the problem, but it is annoying.

4.3LXJ
04-07-2017, 08:31 PM
For sure. First I have heard of that happening

jeepin_idaho
04-09-2017, 10:12 AM
I found a guy in a Facebook group that was parting out a XJ local to me. I went by and picked up a parking brake lever and a new center console. I'll need the lever since my XJ didn't come with one. My center console was modified for the OX locker bits. I'm planning on moving to the electric cable actuator for the front and since I'm getting rid of the rear setup I won't need that anymore. This new console will give me a second cup holder back and give me a fresh start to things.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170409/0b17c76ceb0baebf05a54bdc480c6e0a.jpg

Mudderoy
04-09-2017, 12:23 PM
I found a guy in a Facebook group that was parting out a XJ local to me. I went by and picked up a parking brake lever and a new center console. I'll need the lever since my XJ didn't come with one. My center console was modified for the OX locker bits. I'm planning on moving to the electric cable actuator for the front and since I'm getting rid of the rear setup I won't need that anymore. This new console will give me a second cup holder back and give me a fresh start to things.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170409/0b17c76ceb0baebf05a54bdc480c6e0a.jpg

What does it look like now? Shame you're not going to have a rear locker though.

jeepin_idaho
04-09-2017, 04:18 PM
What does it look like now? Shame you're not going to have a rear locker though.
I'll still have a limited slip. If I decide that I don't like that then I can still upgrade later.

jeepin_idaho
04-16-2017, 09:22 PM
Gears and install kit have arrived. The diff cover, spring perches, shock mount tabs, and LSD clutch pack should arrive this week. Yesterday I picked up all the new brake parts (rotors, pads, callipers, hoses) at the local Autozone since I had a coupon and military discount.

Things are coming along... At Alaskan pace.

Mudderoy
04-16-2017, 10:25 PM
Gears and install kit have arrived. The diff cover, spring perches, shock mount tabs, and LSD clutch pack should arrive this week. Yesterday I picked up all the new brake parts (rotors, pads, callipers, hoses) at the local Autozone since I had a coupon and military discount.

Things are coming along... At Alaskan pace.

Do you know the parts are almost there when you hear the single engine high wing plane's motor?