PDA

View Full Version : Leixen VV-898SP

bluedragon436
03-30-2017, 04:11 PM
Been looking around at different "budget" rigs... I've been looking at the smaller footprint mobile units... One, to not take up much room in the Jeep or anywhere else I plan to use it... as it'll be a starter unit for me.. But have also been interested in the units people have been able to make work for backpack rigs.. There are two versions of this unit the VV-898 which is a 10w version, and VV-898S which is a 25w version. The one with the P at the end of either version comes in a case, that it can easily be removed from, but will bring the ant connection to the top so that it can be used in a backpack form, but also houses a battery in the bottom so that it can be carried in a backpack with the battery and ant. all together inside a backpack for ease of use while hiking or any other use. I've looked online and have seen some pretty good reviews of these things and have seen some pretty good videos on Youtube.. Just figured I'd check in with you guys and see what you guys had seen/heard or thought about it.. I'm almost wondering if I might not be able to mount this thing outside the backpack case up in my OHC, since it is so small.. but if it's not worth the money, not going to waste it..

Mudderoy
04-02-2017, 12:55 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-ICOM-IC-2000-VHF-FM-TRANSCEIVER-2-METER-HM-95-MIC-AND-NICE-MOBILE-MOUNT-/232280134326?hash=item3614f992b6:g:YuoAAOSwOgdY0vN 9

$69 + $14 shipping.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YuoAAOSwOgdY0vN9/s-l1600.jpg

xj-jake
04-04-2017, 02:48 PM
Mixed reviews on Eham.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/11817

I still have my cheapie Baofeng radio for 2m and 440 local stuff. Keep your eyes out for a used FT-1900R. 50w 2m rig you can throw in a pack if needed. 440 is nonexistent here and 2m is slow. Mostly Skywarn stuff here in the spring and fall.

It depends how active the scene is for you locally. If its not, like it is here, I'd try to find a decent mobile rig used and spend the money on the hf stuff.

bluedragon436
04-04-2017, 08:35 PM
I guess I'll just keep my eyes out and do more research for a starter radio.. can't use it till I get the lisc. anyways..

prerunner1982
04-05-2017, 12:07 PM
In most cases a 2m only radio will serve you just fine though having more options is never a bad idea but if you are just starting out and finances are tight a single band radio may be a consideration.

I too was leaning towards a 2m only radio and have friends in the area that have them and get along just fine.... however I came to find out that the largest linked repeater system in the state is on 70cm.

See what repeaters are in your area and look at the linked systems.

A cheap Baofeng HT is a good start for listening but HTs are finicky and I typically don't recommend them to a beginner as not getting a good signal into the repeater and not having anyone respond to you can be disheartening. But as cheap as they are you can carry them around with you and see what the radio traffic is like.

bluedragon436
04-05-2017, 02:53 PM
In most cases a 2m only radio will serve you just fine though having more options is never a bad idea but if you are just starting out and finances are tight a single band radio may be a consideration.

I too was leaning towards a 2m only radio and have friends in the area that have them and get along just fine.... however I came to find out that the largest linked repeater system in the state is on 70cm.

See what repeaters are in your area and look at the linked systems.

A cheap Baofeng HT is a good start for listening but HTs are finicky and I typically don't recommend them to a beginner as not getting a good signal into the repeater and not having anyone respond to you can be disheartening. But as cheap as they are you can carry them around with you and see what the radio traffic is like.

Yeah have been looking at the Baofeng HT's as we've been talking about them in the other post.. I was thinking about picking one up and seeing what kind of activity there is in the area.. I know I've seen a few folks driving around with multiple big whips on their roofs.. but have not been able to talk to any of them yet, as I usually see them going the other way or on the highway... Figure if I can catch one of them parked one day, might be able to talk to them to get the scoop on the traffic in the area.. I mean I guess it doesn't too much matter for the area here, as I look to be headed down south to NC/SC/GA area... so guess I should look into what the traffic is like down there.. But still might pick up an HT to listen in here and start to learn the lingo and the proper etiquette and such..

prerunner1982
04-05-2017, 03:08 PM
If you are headed towards SC look up Cale Nelson, K4CDN (www.hamradio360.com). He is in SC and may be able to give you some insight on whether a dual band radio is needed.