PDA

View Full Version : AW4: thinking no 1st gear

TruckeeXJ
03-19-2017, 10:25 PM
So I bought this XJ last May, and spent last summer wheeling and exploring feeling like it was under powered.
When I would get stuck up against a large rock or even stuck in the snow while in 2HI, I would shift into 4Hi and the jeep wouldn't even budge. RPMs would rise and eventually I would smell something burning. I'm thinking the lack of power and burning smell once I get stuck is because the jeep starts in 2nd gear.
I have flushed the transmission, changed the trans filter, the solenoids OHM within range. If I shift into 1/2 the jeep starts off as normal but RPMs rise and never shifts. If I unplug the TCU it does the same.
Any ideas??? I'm losing my mind!
New tranny?
I'm not against paying a Professional, just wish I knew the problem, so I don't get bent over.
Thanks

Dusterjack
03-20-2017, 12:12 AM
So I bought this XJ last May, and spent last summer wheeling and exploring feeling like it was under powered.
When I would get stuck up against a large rock or even stuck in the snow while in 2HI, I would shift into 4Hi and the jeep wouldn't even budge. RPMs would rise and eventually I would smell something burning. I'm thinking the lack of power and burning smell once I get stuck is because the jeep starts in 2nd gear.
I have flushed the transmission, changed the trans filter, the solenoids OHM within range. If I shift into 1/2 the jeep starts off as normal but RPMs rise and never shifts. If I unplug the TCU it does the same.
Any ideas??? I'm losing my mind!
New tranny?
I'm not against paying a Professional, just wish I knew the problem, so I don't get bent over.
Thanks
interesting problem. Have you gone through the factory manual?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Dusterjack
03-20-2017, 12:13 AM
What year?

jonb8
03-20-2017, 06:09 AM
If it's a 96 or older check the fuse in your TCU, The TCU is under the dash on the passenger side.

TruckeeXJ
03-20-2017, 08:34 AM
It's a 1997. I have gone through the AW4 factory manual a bit. That is where I had seen to to disconnect the TCU.
Otherwise, the jeep runs well.

Dusterjack
03-20-2017, 08:39 AM
Is the Transmission fluid not too high ir too low, could it have broken a seal on one of the selectors?

TruckeeXJ
03-20-2017, 08:47 AM
Transmission fluid level is perfect. I haven't read anything on selectors, so I'm not sure about the seals. I have ohm tested the three transmission solenoids, but should those be tested for voltage so I know the tranny is being told to go into first. I thought unplugging the TCU would expose the problem, but it still started in what I believe is second gear.

Dusterjack
03-20-2017, 08:49 AM
mmmm. strange. Will see if I can find some info that might help

TruckeeXJ
03-20-2017, 08:49 AM
I was reading about the NSS but I ruled that out because I can manually shift between all choices p,r,d,3,1/2

TruckeeXJ
03-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Thank you

Dusterjack
03-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Just to make sure I understand correctly. This happens in 2Hi as well as4 part time and full time, what does it do in Low range?