PDA

View Full Version : To headliner or not to headliner

JTHarrison86
03-18-2017, 08:38 PM
I have a 98 xj that I am considering removing the headliner from. It is my daily driver but the interior is steadily turning into trash. I have been wanting to do away with the headliner all together but it has speakers mounted in it in the rear and I don't know if they are mounted in the head liner or the roof itself. Can anyone tell me whether or not those speakers are mounted to the headliner board?

I tried Googling this but all the pics I've seen don't show any rear ceiling mounted speakers.

4.3LXJ
03-18-2017, 09:00 PM
Is it the board or fabric that is going south on you?

JTHarrison86
03-18-2017, 09:05 PM
The fabric. But I'm thinking I'd rather see the interior a little less posh anyway so I don't see reupholstering it. If I can get away with removing the headliner without having to do away with the speakers, that's what I want to do.

4.3LXJ
03-18-2017, 09:16 PM
Removing a headliner will increase the interior noise level and make the HVAC work harder, but go ahead. Just thought I would ask. I can't remember how the speakers are anchored. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't just a fabric issue

JTHarrison86
03-18-2017, 09:22 PM
My a/c and heat are a bit of a disappointment anyway. Not worried about road noise as my exhaust drones louder than anything else you would normally hear in a vehicle. Wanting to go as simple as possible in the interior but not like gutted race car shell simple.

Mudderoy
03-18-2017, 10:41 PM
I have a 98 xj that I am considering removing the headliner from. It is my daily driver but the interior is steadily turning into trash. I have been wanting to do away with the headliner all together but it has speakers mounted in it in the rear and I don't know if they are mounted in the head liner or the roof itself. Can anyone tell me whether or not those speakers are mounted to the headliner board?

I tried Googling this but all the pics I've seen don't show any rear ceiling mounted speakers.

How hot does it get during the summer where you are?

Brasscatz
03-18-2017, 10:54 PM
The sound bar that I have is held on by the trim pieces above the windows and a pin through the dome light. Hope this helps

JTHarrison86
03-19-2017, 03:55 PM
Ok. Well that gives me the confidence I need to tear the headliner out. Thanks

jonb8
03-19-2017, 05:30 PM
1997 can be either removable sound bar or all one piece but the 98 would be a one piece headliner and rear sound bar. If the fabric is hanging just take it out clean all that off the board (It has some kind of fiberglass skin on it to keep the shape and to hold the weight of the speakers) Paint the board or leave it alone and put it back in. If you take it all the way out you'll have wires hanging everywhere and you'll hate it.

bluedragon436
03-19-2017, 10:25 PM
Wish I lived closer to you, because I'd gladly take the 98 Fiberglass headliner board over my crappy all foam board... and would hook you up with a stand alone soundbar.. so you could have no headliner board at all... and still have your rear speakers... If you hit up a PNP, you can snag a rear sound bar out of a 96/97 XJ that is a stand alone bar for a pretty decent deal.. if you are still looking to get rid of the complete board and just have the roof tin and rear soundbar..

JTHarrison86
03-20-2017, 10:06 AM
Oh. Alrighty then. Guess I'll consider scrubbing the insulation off and rhino linering it then. Thanks for the information guys.