PDA

View Full Version : New Header...

TunzofunXJ99
03-10-2017, 02:25 PM
So I just purchased a new header for the 96 4.0 I6 engine I am rebuilding. It is a Pacesetter shorty header model 70-1192. I am curious if anyone has run this header and if they have ran into any issues... I chose this header because I am thinking of getting a custom duel exhaust system made splitting right off the header going all the way back... got the idea on a whim but now I am second guessing it... I am rethinking it and wondering if I try that does that mean I would have to double up my o2 sensors for the second pipe? If so how do I add wires for new sensors and what all do I have to do to the computer??? I need more knowledge and more brain power... I submit to :xjtalk: am I :crazy:

4.3LXJ
03-10-2017, 04:55 PM
I haven't run this header, but students of "headerology" will note that the triwye type header maximizes mid and low range torque. Also I think you will not have the cracking issues everyone has with their one piece header

Mudderoy
03-10-2017, 04:59 PM
Yeah I don't know how you'd handle the computer. It's only going to read one O2 sensor pre and one post catalytic converter I think.

TunzofunXJ99
03-10-2017, 05:28 PM
So If the computer will only read 1 and 1... if I did have 2 pipes would it throw off readings and if so how would that effect my performance?:stars::smiley-scared002::fighting0029:

TunzofunXJ99
03-10-2017, 05:36 PM
by the way thanks for the quick responses, still new to the site and help is always appreciated.:beer::thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
03-10-2017, 06:00 PM
In theory two pipes would work if you only monitored one side. The problems would come if you had to pass emissions requirements or if one side was running lean or rich, you wouldn't know it without sniffing both pipes to compare

Mudderoy
03-10-2017, 06:20 PM
In theory two pipes would work if you only monitored one side. The problems would come if you had to pass emissions requirements or if one side was running lean or rich, you wouldn't know it without sniffing both pipes to compare

I guess he could manually move the connection to make sure both sides were in spec.

4.3LXJ
03-10-2017, 06:22 PM
I am not sure that would solve it. It would just change the other side

Mudderoy
03-10-2017, 06:23 PM
I am not sure that would solve it. It would just change the other side

Oh no solution, just would allow him to verify the other three cylinders and injectors were functioning normally. Kind of a hassle.

TunzofunXJ99
03-15-2017, 03:01 PM
Okay, so assuming everything outside of the exhaust pipes themselves was functioning properly (no misfire and running with the same potency) would the O2 sensors reading only 1 side and there for reading less emissions effect the jeeps performance? If so would it cause my in town gas mileage to plummet?..... would it be worth getting a custom duel pipe setup, or would I get more/better performance if I stick with a single exit pipe?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

TunzofunXJ99
03-15-2017, 03:05 PM
Im assuming california law would dictate that I would need the other additional o2 sensors just for reassurance that it stays within the limitations so if I ever have to pass I will have to throw the old exhaust back on so thats not my worry...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

JTHarrison86
03-22-2017, 10:21 PM
I don't see how you would stand to gain anything from a setup like that performance wise unless you only care about top end performance. Sure it would be different. But different doesn't always equal better.

Frankly, shortly after getting my XJ I cut the exhaust off right after the factory muffler and installed a home made turn down in its place. My torque took a dive from that. Got some of it back after putting a thrush muffler on it but I fully believe it was it's torque'ist when the exhaust was stock.

I had an 03 GMC Sierra that I installed a single in dual out flowmaster 40 on and had it dump out in front of the back right tire. Same thing happened to it. Immediately noticed it had less torque.

Pookapotamus
03-23-2017, 11:18 AM
A good free flowing single exhaust would solve all your problems, you won't really gain much with a stock 4.0L and dual exhaust.

That being said, I am going to dual exhaust, but from the header back to the muffler I am staying 3" single. I have to go dual from muffler back because of my suspension, there just is no room to run anything bigger than 2" past the rear coils. And I am also running a stroker so I need a little better airflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk