PDA

View Full Version : 1989 XJ Bumper

joshknight124
03-03-2017, 11:42 PM
Hey guys! I'm looking to buy a bumper for my 1989 Jeep Cherokee. I'd like it to have a stinger that's part of the bumper (not a bolt on stinger). I also need to mount a winch. Any input you guys have is greatly appreciated!

4.3LXJ
03-04-2017, 12:06 AM
There is a lot of people making bumpers out there. I think one thing that is mandatory is that you have good access to the spool for when the cable binds. A bumper like the ARB Bull bar does not have that access and if you pinch a cable it can be a real pain at the wrong time

bluedragon436
03-04-2017, 12:21 AM
I have the Elite Stinger bumper (https://www.affordableoffroad.com/shop/elite-stinger-winch-front-bumper-jeep-cherokee-xjcomanche-84-01-copy/) w/ winch mount and a front hitch from Affordable Offroad. They do however now have two newer versions of this bumper, one that is very similar but is more angled and thinner at the ends... and one that is a shorty bumper, so it is not full width.. They also have a newer series of bumpers if you don't like having the fairly open look of the winch plate.. I love the Elite... granted it was the only one they had at the time with the stinger... but so far I have loved it.. even more so after a few weeks back when I finally got and mounted my winch on there.. makes it look even better.. And their customer service was/has been awesome.. Going to order up the fuel tank skid from them here shortly... since I figure I'll have to be removing the "hitch" bolts when I swap out my rear bumper with the new one (once it's coated that is)..

joshknight124
03-04-2017, 03:14 PM
Thank you! I love the look of the elite shorty. I'll definitely be getting that one!

bluedragon436
03-04-2017, 03:33 PM
Thank you! I love the look of the elite shorty. I'll definitely be getting that one!

Yeah I kind of like it too.. kind of glad they didn't have them when I ordered mine though.. cause I do like the way it looks, but at the same time, I like the protection that the full width provides.. lol... it's a crazy dilemma for me.. so glad I already have the one..

joshknight124
03-05-2017, 11:40 AM
I agree. I like the protection that the full width provides but the stubby looks pretty good.

bluedragon436
03-08-2017, 12:31 PM
I agree. I like the protection that the full width provides but the stubby looks pretty good.

So... Did you order one yet??? LOL... I kid I kid... Yeah they do look darn good... about to pull my bumper shortly to have it and a few other pieces of armor bed lined... and am hating that I'm so close to Affordable, cause I'm almost thinking about popping up there to pick up a tank skid... and while there a stubby... but I can use that money saved elsewhere in the build up... man... I need to stop looking at their page... lol

joshknight124
03-09-2017, 09:53 PM
No I haven't gotten one yet. Unfortunately it'll be a little while... there are a few other things I need to take care of on the jeep. But I have the same problem... I'm constantly looking at aftermarket parts the the Cherokee and always wanting more but that's the way it is. Something my dad always says to me.. "Jeep stands for 'just empty every pocket'"

4.3LXJ
03-09-2017, 10:01 PM
There is truth to that