PDA

View Full Version : Stuck at has station need advice

OGCollard
02-21-2017, 06:41 PM
My lock cylinder failed. I think it did. Past few days as i was turning it on i noticed i had to apply more inward pressure on the key to make it crank. Today after getting gas nothing. Swapped out cylinders and i get all my electronics but no crank.

Mudderoy
02-21-2017, 07:50 PM
My lock cylinder failed. I think it did. Past few days as i was turning it on i noticed i had to apply more inward pressure on the key to make it crank. Today after getting gas nothing. Swapped out cylinders and i get all my electronics but no crank.

I mean if you're stuck can't you just remove the cylinder and use a screwdriver to turn the internal mechanism and start the Jeep?

OGCollard
02-21-2017, 08:04 PM
Thats a good idea i did not think of mudderoy thanks! Good way to test and make sure it is the cylinder that is the problem and not something else. I had a buddy pull me home. So the wife will have to gove me a carpool tomorrow

OGCollard
02-21-2017, 08:07 PM
Also i know it was dumb and it was me in a hurry and forgetting. I took old cylinder out with battery hooked up. Does that change your thoughts?

OGCollard
02-21-2017, 08:12 PM
We checked all fuses, jumped the starter with key in on. It was spinning. Put old cylinder back in, still. I get all electronics but no attempt at turning over

Mudderoy
02-21-2017, 10:04 PM
We checked all fuses, jumped the starter with key in on. It was spinning. Put old cylinder back in, still. I get all electronics but no attempt at turning over

Hmmm ASD relay? I've never done it on a Jeep but my old Chevy I could turn it over by shorting the solinode.

bluedragon436
02-22-2017, 12:33 AM
Not sure if it would make any difference or not with the 99+... But I changed out the barrel on both my 97 and my 98, both with the battery still hooked up.. so not sure if that would cause any kind of issue.. but like I said.. not sure if anything changed with the 99+ changes that would make that a NO-GO thing..

OGCollard
02-22-2017, 08:25 PM
Doing some youtube research i found my symptoms match an ignition actuator going bad. The videos o saw say to replace the ignition switch as well so that is what i am doing tomorrow night methinks.

OGCollard
02-23-2017, 06:09 AM
The name of the you tube video is "My Jeep wont crank over SOLVED". I would cut and paste the link here but cannot with my phone. It is about ten minutes long. Good video. One question, does anyone know what size ramper proof torx drive i need for the ignition switch? Cheaper to buy one then a whole set.

OGCollard
02-23-2017, 07:58 PM
Success! Replaced ignition actuator and ignition switch. Battery was almost dead from working with it the night before. Turned it off after a minute and let set for about five minutes. Restarted and she ran and died a few times but after a minute got it revving. I assume with new ignition switch the brain has to remap it.