PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joints and wheel bearings?

nickyg
02-10-2017, 06:41 PM
I think I might need to replace my ball joints and since I have almost 140k on it I figured I might as well change the bearings too.

So I'm wondering... Anybody have a favorite brand or type? any part #'s. I'm looking at moog ball joints. and have no clue for a bearing.

4.3LXJ
02-10-2017, 09:15 PM
I think Spicer OEM stuff is the best out there

Charlie Foxtrot
02-11-2017, 05:29 PM
Moog (Federal-Mogul) & TRW have good reputations for chassis parts. I have used both in my shop. My first exposure to both was in my uncle's shop in the early 60's. He'd been using them since the 40's & I've used both ever since. Like anything, they will wear out eventually, but they have excellent warranties. I use their parts on my cars, and my family's cars. OE parts are certainly a good choice as well (with few exceptions such as GM idler arms & Ford ball joints). While you have everything apart you may want to refresh the brakes (at least pads) & check the u-joints in the axle shafts (now is the time to replace them if you have any play or wear - look for rust powder). If you feel especially kind towards your jeep, you can always refresh your diff lube while its up in the air. If cash is tight, look for private label or associated brands made by the parent company. You can save a few bucks there while still getting good quality. Good luck.

denverd1
02-15-2017, 06:08 AM
I still need to do an article on joints. Main thing is you need more than whats in a standard ball joint press kit. You need a thin wall deep socket that is 2" long and about an inch in diameter. Along with a flat piece of steel stock.
The socket helps press the top joint out from the bottom. Steel helps with bottom joint out. I'll try to get pics up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

denverd1
02-15-2017, 06:44 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/55c06d0ffce547662ab555041cf6a7c0.jpg
Socket and steel on upper joint

Moog parts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

abebehrmann
02-15-2017, 01:36 PM
I've always heard that Timken bearings are the best, so that's what I bought when I replaced mine. Got them off RockAuto for the a little cheaper than the Duralast ones from Autozone. I don't really punish them, but they're still doing great at least 10k miles later.

With that being said, I've also been told that Timken bearings were made in the USA, but the ones I ordered came in a box that said "Made in Slovakia".

nickyg
02-15-2017, 06:57 PM
but the ones I ordered came in a box that said "Made in Slovakia".

Does that country still exist?

Charlie Foxtrot
02-15-2017, 07:13 PM
Yes.

When Czechoslovakia peacefully broke up, the country became two countries; the Czech Republic & the Republic of Slovakia.

I just finished an annual on a plane made in the Czech Republic (CZAW Sportcruiser), and the owner is bringing me his next project, an aircraft from Slovakia (Eurofox). They make some very fine machinery in both countries. I would not be concerned with a Timken Bearing made in Slovakia.