PDA

View Full Version : Black Magic Brake pads review.

nicpaige
02-01-2017, 12:20 PM
I heard a few good reviews for the black magic brand brake pads for Jeep XJ's. My braking performance was never phenomenal but went downhill quickly when I bolted the heavier taller 31 x 10.5 tires on and the 3.5" lift. I tow a utility trailer which is a homemade rugged unit and no lightweight so there's that. Needless to say I needed a change. I went with their pad setup and new Centric premium rotors, and calipers along with Russel stainless braided hoses.
So far the improvement has been far better than expected. I followed the break in procedure to a letter and was rewarded with a much safer vehicle.
I will also be adding electric brakes to the trailer this spring as most of my driving takes me through some decent grades in KY. :patriot:

carloxj
11-12-2018, 12:36 AM
I installed Black Magic pads on my XJ before and had no problems. Good bite and braking performance.

4.3LXJ
11-12-2018, 10:13 AM
How is their reputation for making brake dust?

carloxj
02-21-2019, 01:46 AM
They produce a little more dust than other brands I've tried.

4.3LXJ
02-21-2019, 11:14 AM
That is true across the board for pads that promise increased stopping power. They do in low speeds, not so much in high speed stops and may even fade a little at very high speeds. This is due to a softer compound in the pads, which also wear faster

Mudderoy
02-21-2019, 12:03 PM
We interviewed Mr. Blaine of Black Magic Brakes on episode 371 of the Jeep Talk Show

https://www.jeeptalkshow.com/episode-371-can-your-jeep-keep-you-alive/

4.3LXJ
02-21-2019, 02:11 PM
I should also state for the record, that "longer lasting" pads and shoes can sometimes need warming up, such as on faster stops, to work like normal brakes. A good example of this is NAPAs premium brakes