PDA

View Full Version : A little help please

WormsJeep
01-17-2017, 12:31 PM
I know this is an XJ forum but I have a dilemma here. I have been searching for a trail rig for my next rig. It is going to be a Cherokee because of family that likes going on the trail with me. So with my question. I have seen several Cherokee's for sale ranging from an 80 on up to 2001. Between XJ and ZJ's. So what would be a better rig. a ZJ or an XJ? And why would you choose one or the other.

My plans are at the most 35" tires with as little lift as possible and as little cutting as possible.

Thank you all for the help.

4.3LXJ
01-17-2017, 01:03 PM
An 80 Cherokee is a different animal from an 86 and up XJ. Larger, heavier and heavier running gear. Capable and able to run 44" tires with no lift if you cut the fenders enough. Of the XJs and ZJs, I would opt for the 92 and up XJ for two reasons. One is the auto tranny. AW4 in the XJ and 42RE in the ZJ. AW4s will go 300K, as well as the 4.0L six if properly maintained. Second is that 33" tires are the largest you can put in a ZJ due to fender well size. XJs also have better aftermarket support

abebehrmann
01-17-2017, 01:28 PM
I know this is an XJ forum but I have a dilemma here. I have been searching for a trail rig for my next rig. It is going to be a Cherokee because of family that likes going on the trail with me. So with my question. I have seen several Cherokee's for sale ranging from an 80 on up to 2001. Between XJ and ZJ's. So what would be a better rig. a ZJ or an XJ? And why would you choose one or the other.

My plans are at the most 35" tires with as little lift as possible and as little cutting as possible.

Thank you all for the help.

I had to make the same decision when I was looking for a Jeep a few years back. I decided on an XJ for a few reasons:

1) The auto transmission in the XJ is much more reliable than the Chrysler autos found in ZJs or WJs.

2) Most of the ZJs I looked at had the full time all-wheel drive which I've read can be a little problematic the older they get.

3) XJs (1984-01) were made for a lot longer than either the ZJ(93-98) or the WJ(99-04). So there seems to be a lot more in junkyards and a lot more aftermarket support.

4) At the same time I was looking for a Jeep, I stumbled upon the XJTalk Podcast on itunes and ended up really liking it. There was no ZJTalk podcast. :D

prerunner1982
01-17-2017, 01:38 PM
But a fullsize Cherokee (1974-1983) would be sooo much cooler... :innocent0002:

http://jeepjeep.eu/justpics/j10/061.JPG

WormsJeep
01-17-2017, 01:40 PM
Thank you both for the help. Made my decision even easier. I will be looking for an XJ then.

Charlie Foxtrot
01-17-2017, 07:55 PM
- just my $0.02 -
I've had a few jeeps over the years & repaired a lot more. The XJ is better for a trail rig for all the reasons the other posters have stated. They are just a wee bit stronger, & they have a much tighter turning circle. Be prepared for leaky, cracked windshields, and replacing busted leaf springs are a B****h, but XJs are a lot of fun. For my DD I prefer a YJ. I like the coil springs. The ride's less harsh & changing coils & shocks is a lot quicker than leafs. Cheaper too. Learn to weld, get some tools & remember to take time to have some fun with your rig!

bluedragon436
01-17-2017, 07:59 PM
I'd have to say that I'd take an XJ over the two... The only reason I prefer the ZJ over the XJ would be the V8 from the factory option.. but that is about the only reason I'd prefer it.. other then that though, I'd def say the XJ for the win..

bluedragon436
01-17-2017, 08:00 PM
But a fullsize Cherokee (1974-1983) would be sooo much cooler... :innocent0002:

http://jeepjeep.eu/justpics/j10/061.JPG

Heck yea... After I unfortunately had to let my 98 XJ go... when I started wanting to get back into another Jeep... I was looking for a decent shape, but not perfect shape FSJ (as I didn't want to tear up a perfect shape FSJ up on the trails)..

denverd1
01-25-2017, 04:47 PM
- just my $0.02 -
I've had a few jeeps over the years & repaired a lot more. The XJ is better for a trail rig for all the reasons the other posters have stated. They are just a wee bit stronger, & they have a much tighter turning circle. Be prepared for leaky, cracked windshields, and replacing busted leaf springs are a B****h, but XJs are a lot of fun. For my DD I prefer a YJ. I like the coil springs. The ride's less harsh & changing coils & shocks is a lot quicker than leafs. Cheaper too. Learn to weld, get some tools & remember to take time to have some fun with your rig!

just to clarify, YJs are leaf sprung front and rear.
TJs are coil sprung on all 4 corners

XJs are coils up front, leafs out back. coil conversion for the rear isn't easy - although my back would definitely thank me.

enjoy your search

Mudderoy
01-25-2017, 05:41 PM
Thank you both for the help. Made my decision even easier. I will be looking for an XJ then.

Personally I'd look for a 99. I would NOT purchase a 2000 or 2001. The heads CAN crack. Doesn't mean they will but the can, and why put yourself through that if you don't have to?

Charlie Foxtrot
01-25-2017, 05:51 PM
My bad - big time. I meant ZJ for a DD. My last YJ was too ruff in the saddle for a DD, but was a work horse around the home. Good tug, good plow, nice in the summer, and the grand daughter loved it. A little too cold in the winter tho (rag top no fun when it's zero). The XJ was also a good DD, but I am getting too old to be changing leaf springs in the rust belt.

denverd1
01-26-2017, 11:10 AM
Personally I'd look for a 99. I would NOT purchase a 2000 or 2001. The heads CAN crack. Doesn't mean they will but the can, and why put yourself through that if you don't have to?

this^

MattybPDX
01-27-2017, 10:15 AM
Plus you can do the ol intake manifold swap to get an extra little oomph out of it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

denverd1
01-27-2017, 11:01 AM
didn't 99 have the improved intake?

4.3LXJ
01-27-2017, 12:21 PM
Yes it did