PDA

View Full Version : Rear hitch questions?

nickyg
01-13-2017, 03:14 PM
My 97 XJ needs a rear hitch receiver. The junk yards have not been producing much. So now I'm faced with buying new. Anyone out there buy a new hitch? what did you get and are you happy with it.
I have a hidden hitch on my 96 (it came with it) and I like how tight up against the bumper it is. Any ideas or pros and cons?

nickyg
01-13-2017, 03:27 PM
I'd like to find something that hangs right below the bumper like this.

denverd1
01-14-2017, 03:29 PM
bolts to the unibomb with nutstrips. Shouldn't be expensive.

Con: even if you get a class 3 hitch, know that it's bolted to folded sheet metal. Keep weight reasonable on the hitch and won't have any problems

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
01-15-2017, 12:02 AM
Too bad, I didn't know you were looking for one before I headed down to SC on vacation.. I could of brought the one I removed from my XJ when I did my rear bumper install... Talk to your local Jeep dealership.. there was a recall not too long back, where they were installing brand new hitches on XJ's.. They said if you bring it in, we'll install it for you... I said, if I'm going to have the hitch on my XJ, I can do the install myself... so they threw it in the bed of my truck when I had it there for service... I was like WTF?!! I don't want it... I removed one from my XJ to install an aftermarket bumper... so moral of the story... talk to your local dealership about the recall... and see if you might get them to hook it up for you... cause I know my dealership had like 25 of them sitting behind the parts counter... and I didn't buy my XJ from the dealership, and have never taken it to them for anything, and they were going to hook it up... so figure it's worth a try...