PDA

View Full Version : My search for an XJ...

SamanthaXJ
12-29-2016, 10:22 AM
Hey all

I use to have a 2000 xj sport that I just loved. Sadly, one rainy morning driving cross country, somewhere outside Memphis TN, I started on the breaks. They locked up and I slid right into the back of a uhaul truck. That was a couple years ago.

Now I'm on the search for an XJ again!:xj-black:

So I have $5000 set aside for this venture. that is for vehicle, repairs, registration, and inspection hopefully.

Here's one I think I'm going to take a look at:

https://images.craigslist.org/00505_cnwlBDkhiHh_600x450.jpg

1988 jeep Cherokee xj
4.0 inline 6 cyl
5 speed manual transmission
4x4
166xxx miles
Clean title

Selling my renix xj Cherokee. Currently has an exhaust leak that I'll fix if not sold in the next few days.

New water pump, harmonic balancer, tstat and converted from closed to open radiator. Just put new o rings in the injectors and cleaned the throttle body then installed new gaskets. Have a set of 703 injectors and a set of sway bar end links not yet installed. Clutch is healthy and tires have enough tread to get you out of a sticky situation.

Tags are up since August of this year. Was my 4x4 project but I don't have the time. Great daily driver or start for a trail rig. Will consider trades.

I really want a manual and they are harder to find in the 4 door, 4L models, I also really like the chrome grill and around the windshield look so it has that going for it. The pic doesn't look great but I asked about the hood and he says it closes and latches just fine and miles is only 166K. He has also already done some work on it, changed out the closed radiator. I'm not very familiar with the renix model engines so what are peoples opinions on that? and this model in general? I'm thinking if I can get him down to $1000 for it I'll still have $3000-$3500 for repairs, getting it to pass smog and be road worthy.

4.3LXJ
12-29-2016, 10:46 AM
The engine is the same as later years. The difference is in the engine management. The Renix is its own critter. OK if you understand the differences, but there are not a lot of Jeep mechanics around that still know them. And yes, you should be able to get them down considerably on price. I saw that ad too and my first question would be: Why is that hood not shut. Just a small flag for me

SamanthaXJ
12-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Thanks, that does clarify things for me. I was reading up on it a bit and I got the impression that the engine was still otherwise the same but nothing outright said it so I was unsure. I passed by the post a number of times bc the way the hood is open in the pic and it was the first thing I asked him about, he said hood closes and latches just fine, no problems, but I'll definitely be taking a close look at it when I check it out.

XJ Wheeler
12-29-2016, 05:00 PM
It does not give the appearance of a well kept jeep to be honest. Low front tire, busted and rusted fog lights, leaves on the cowl, tarp over the rear window, hood looks moldy which usually happens when something's been setting for a considerable amount of time and kept moist with leaves and gunk. I'd leave it personally unless you can get it for a steal. I'm a bigger fan of the h.o. jeeps too. Nothing big but the renix has a couple gremlins.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

SamanthaXJ
12-29-2016, 06:01 PM
all good points.
Ran a vehicle history report on the vin for this jeep and showed up as 2.5L 4, so unless someone swapped it out it doesn't have the inline6 as advertised.

denverd1
12-29-2016, 06:39 PM
run away. offer 500 and never talk him again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
12-29-2016, 10:19 PM
I'd say run away from the Renix for sure.. I had a 89 and the Renix was a huge fight with any issues that come up, and like Steve said, not too many Renix experts around anymore, and certainly not mechanics wise..

SamanthaXJ
12-30-2016, 10:37 PM
lol, no sympathy from this group. Not one vote to save the poor old thing from the junk yard.

ANYWAY, I bought a jeep today! not the one from above. will post picks tomorrow!

4.3LXJ
12-30-2016, 10:39 PM
:congrats:

denverd1
12-31-2016, 08:30 AM
Cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

SamanthaXJ
12-31-2016, 06:28 PM
Here she is, my Bonnie Blue! 1996 sport, all stock. I've wanted this color since I got my first jeep so I'm really excited to start adding to it! I'll be starting a build thread in the build section so keep an eye out for that, I have a lot of plans for it!

4.3LXJ
12-31-2016, 06:30 PM
Pic isn't showing up Samantha, you might dry reloading it. I don't see any thing to fix in the URL

SamanthaXJ
12-31-2016, 06:31 PM
Should be fixed now

4.3LXJ
12-31-2016, 06:32 PM
That is a very clean looking Jeep for sure

bluedragon436
12-31-2016, 07:40 PM
Looks like a clean Jeep... Be ready to be a bit resourceful when you replace any parts on her... I have a 97, I know the new body style, especially the switch year(s) they used some parts from the 96- and some from the 97+.. Like when I replaced the coolant temp sensor, I ended up having to order one for a 98, as the one they showed listed for the 97 and 96 were the same, but mine was not... so just got to be ready for a bit of trial and error when replacing stuff.. Not everything will be that way.. but some stuff you might find along the way.. either way... nice find!!

SamanthaXJ
12-31-2016, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the info! I want to replace the plastic trim on the doors but I can't find it new anywhere...

bluedragon436
12-31-2016, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info! I want to replace the plastic trim on the doors but I can't find it new anywhere...

You talking about the rub strip/bumper strip near the bottom of the doors??

SamanthaXJ
12-31-2016, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I find the ones that are for the bar of the door but not ones like mine

4.3LXJ
12-31-2016, 08:50 PM
Those you will probably have to source at a pick and pull. Be ready to paint to match

bluedragon436
12-31-2016, 09:18 PM
If it's the same parts I'm thinking about... I didn't bother to paint or anything my old ones off on my 98... I just removed them... cause I thought it just looked cleaner without them... My 97 still has it's bumper strips... but only cause they are color matched..

SamanthaXJ
12-31-2016, 09:44 PM
I was thinking of just painting them, it looks okay without them? Are there holes in the doors underneath? How are they attached? I imagine they just pop off. I didn't have any plastic trim on my old xj.

bluedragon436
12-31-2016, 10:46 PM
If you're talking about the usually faded gray pieces that run down the side of the Jeep roughly 6" up from the bottom of the doors, to keep from getting door dings when folks open their doors into yours... they just held on with like double sided tape... I thought it looked better without them, but that is just my opinion..

SamanthaXJ
01-01-2017, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I took a look at them today. I'll probably just take them off when I get to replacing the fenders, thanks for the info!

abebehrmann
01-03-2017, 10:17 AM
Here she is, my Bonnie Blue! 1996 sport, all stock. I've wanted this color since I got my first jeep so I'm really excited to start adding to it! I'll be starting a build thread in the build section so keep an eye out for that, I have a lot of plans for it!

Love the new Jeep! Congrats!

denverd1
01-03-2017, 03:00 PM
lol, no sympathy from this group. Not one vote to save the poor old thing from the junk yard.

ANYWAY, I bought a jeep today! not the one from above. will post picks tomorrow!

I'm all about saving a jeep, but paying 5000 for the first one is pure crazy. The color was right, but that was IT.

Congrats on the new ride! Much better!!

the double sided tape under those moldings is a PITA to get off, so get ready to put some elbow grease into making it look like you want. 3M makes an adhesive remover that's actually safe to use on auto paint. test an area (like the under side of your rear hatch) before you start spraying it on the door.

SamanthaXJ
01-03-2017, 03:17 PM
Lol, I was only going to pay $1000 for that red one if even.

Yeah, that adhesive looks like it's gonna take a lot to get off. I'll definitely check out that remover, thanks!

Pinkyman
01-03-2017, 03:46 PM
Nice looking Xj, love the color! Looking forward to seeing the progress :thumbsup:

XJ Wheeler
01-04-2017, 03:42 PM
Always love that blue ever since they were new. One of those timeless classics. Nice find!

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.