PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 conversion

Diezel501
12-12-2016, 12:20 AM
Gentlemen, and ladies...
I am converting my 99 Limited XJ to a 4X4 so, I have a blank canvas. I am new to custom work, but capable. The major job is converting to a 4X4...
So, What axles, housings, front dif/ rear dif, transmission would you choose if you could? I want a daily driver, not an off road only. I want to drive to where I camp, possibly out of state. I definitely want an OX Locker for the rear for sure. durability is key. As my old boss would say during a sale "I'll start with the Eddie Bauer addition, then we'll peel back the layers you don't need".:xj-red:

4.3LXJ
12-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Welcome Sean. This isn't really hard, just time consuming. The best thing to do is find a good pick and pull and pull the parts you need. You will need to change the transmission over to the 4WD version. Same tranny, just different tail housing and shaft. But be sure to get the same year if possible, but for sure 97+. Transfer case of your choice, either NP231 or NP242 with linkage depending on if you want full time 4WD or not. Front and rear drivelines, and a high pinion non front disconnect D30 axle. Make sure the ratio matches what you have now

prerunner1982
12-12-2016, 09:51 AM
If you are wanting a mild build for a reliable DD I would say find a front Dana 30 from a 97-99 XJ. If you are going bigger tires you are probably going to regear anyways. For the rear axle if you have the Chrysler 8.25 you would be fine sticking with that, however a popular swap is the Ford 8.8 as it can be had with lower gears (4.10 typically I think), rear disk, and sometimes a limited slip but not a direct bolt in swap. If you have a rear Dana 35... find a Chrysler 8.25 or ford 8.8.

As far as Transfer case goes if you are going to see snow covered roadways the NP242 (4wd fulltime option) isn't a bad case but if not the NP231 (part time 4wd) is good as well though a wider chain and 6 gear planetary are good upgrades. Of course you could go with the NP241OR (Rubicon tcase with 4:1 low range) or any other aftermarket case with a lower low range.

Transmission, you really can't go wrong with an AW4 auto or AX15 manual it just depends on what you prefer. An aftermarket cooler on the AW4 would be a good.

Of course some of this depends on what size tires you are wanting to run.

Diezel501
12-12-2016, 10:45 PM
Thank you for the ideas. Time consuming is the reason I wanted to get some advise. I don't want to get in the middle of making these changes and find another better solution. plan on trying to get all the pieces together and to do lift, swap together.

denverd1
12-14-2016, 03:42 PM
jeep's a 99 so its got a 29 spline Chry 8.25. find a dana 30 (cheap and plentiful) with matching gears and you're in business. those axles are good to 35" tires, 33 if you're wheeling it hard. build yourself some control arms for the front axle, the flimsy stamped steel ones are garbage.

got a friend that did the conversion, worked out well.

any other plans for it?

Diezel501
12-15-2016, 01:01 AM
I have lots of plans. I want a vehicle I can take camping either by myself or tow an off road trailer so the wife can tag along. I plan on incorporating an air compressor and water. my jeep and the Jeep it will be...

4.3LXJ
12-15-2016, 01:17 AM
Oh lots of fun in store for you

Diezel501
01-19-2017, 11:43 PM
when you say matching gears, do you mean a 29 spline for the front dana 30? And what about lockers? Is that something i can worry about after? I have only started to do research on these things.

bluedragon436
01-20-2017, 01:20 AM
when you say matching gears, do you mean a 29 spline for the front dana 30? And what about lockers? Is that something i can worry about after? I have only started to do research on these things.

By matching gears he is meaning if you pick up a Chrysler 8.25, with say 3.55 gear ratio, you'll want to find a D30 with a matching gear ration of 3.55, or whatever the ratio was..

4.3LXJ
01-20-2017, 10:40 AM

Also you will have to decide what kind or if you want lockers. The only type you can add after the gears are set up are the lunch box type lockers. Otherwise a full case locker will require you to set the gears up again

denverd1
01-25-2017, 03:02 PM

You're basically opening them again and redoing the work, unless you stay with lunchbox lockers. currently got lunchboxes in both ends of mine and they work great, but it rarely see the road.

spline count is another issue. I was talking gear ratio, as James pointed out.

4.3LXJ
01-25-2017, 04:13 PM
I have lunch box lockers in both ends and highway manners are good. Can't tell the front is there at all

denverd1
01-25-2017, 04:20 PM
love mine too

4.3LXJ
01-25-2017, 04:21 PM
Point and shoot is great :bacondance::bacondance::bacondance:

denverd1
01-25-2017, 04:24 PM
.moved to Dana 30 thread...