PDA

View Full Version : Original XJ engineering concepts

4.3LXJ
11-24-2016, 08:44 PM
This is an interesting read about Jeeps. Pay particular attention to the part about the straight six, the engine they didn't want in the new Jeep and on death wobble.

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/cherokee.html

Interesting that a three link does not have death wobble. Maybe that is why I like mine so much :D

Interesting about the original 4.2 liter straight six. I never liked it either in the day. I thought it was under powered for what it was. They had been putting in CJs and put a four speed with granny gear behind it and calling it the low end torque version. To be honest, the AMC 304 V8 also in CJs had lots more low end torque and ran circles around the 4.2. But as they say, the rest is history. If they had used the 304 instead, that would have been a much different vehicle than we have today. Friend of mine ran a AMC 360 with ported 401 heads. Daily driver that took top eliminator in the Pacific Northwest 4 wheel drive assoc. summer jamboree against whatever kind of Chevy you can imagine. Interesting day that was

bluedragon436
11-24-2016, 11:06 PM
That's pretty good read for sure... Now if only I could find a 4.2 that needs a new home... so I could get the crank/rods out of it to build a budget stroker out of my 4.0 for my XJ.. lol o r even better a 401 that I could put into my XJ..

4.3LXJ
11-24-2016, 11:28 PM
Trust me, you would like that 401 much better. You wouldn't look back