PDA

View Full Version : 10-12 liberty/compass

TallGuyJeep
11-14-2016, 04:19 PM
What do y'all think about the 2010-12ish liberterty and compass? One of my friends is looking into getting a new (for her) car. Any good/bad experiences? Won't be taken off road, but 4wd would be preferred since we get a good amount of snow during winter.

4.3LXJ
11-14-2016, 05:35 PM
Get the ones with the 3.6L pentastar engine. The 3.7 is underpowered and a poor choice for that rig

MattybPDX
11-15-2016, 08:18 AM
What do y'all think about the 2010-12ish liberterty and compass? One of my friends is looking into getting a new (for her) car. Any good/bad experiences? Won't be taken off road, but 4wd would be preferred since we get a good amount of snow during winter.
Rented a Compass when I was out of town for work. I absolutely hated it. The interior felt like I was in a spaceship cockpit, buttons and switches everywhere Everything is protruding out and angled at the driver. It made me feel very confined. The blind spots were terrible for me, I could hardly see anything on the road. Then there's the engine. This particular one was the 2.0. A 2.0! In a jeep! It was slightly smaller than my xj but had the engine of my wife's Kia forte. Completely under powered. My personal opinion is for her to stay clear of it but she might test drive and love it so who knows?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

xj-jake
11-15-2016, 08:35 AM
I'll toss my opinion in here. I'd completely steer clear of the Compass. They were built as a volume vehicle. A rental rocket if that makes more sense. A big thing for me is what does it sound like when you close the door? If it's solid it's a good vehicle. Those are really tinny sounding and a nightmare to work on. Do you remember the Dodge Caliber? Well it's the same vehicle just with a different skin. Not to mention the CVT transmission which I hate with a fury.

On the other hand I'd own a Liberty. They're better built and look better. More comfortable on the inside with much better ergonomics. Steve is right in looking for the bigger engine in it but there is not a 3.6L Pentastar engine that was ever offered in the Liberty. It would be the 3.7L Powertech engine. The 4 cylinder is anemic at best.

prerunner1982
11-15-2016, 08:43 AM
I was also in a rental compass earlier this year and hated it. It was newer but as an auto it lagged horribly. As a stick (dual mode trans) it was a bit more peppy.

I would go with a Liberty over a compass.

Pinkyman
11-15-2016, 08:52 AM
I'll toss my opinion in here. I'd completely steer clear of the Compass. They were built as a volume vehicle. A rental rocket if that makes more sense. A big thing for me is what does it sound like when you close the door? If it's solid it's a good vehicle. Those are really tinny sounding and a nightmare to work on. Do you remember the Dodge Caliber? Well it's the same vehicle just with a different skin. Not to mention the CVT transmission which I hate with a fury.

On the other hand I'd own a Liberty. They're better built and look better. More comfortable on the inside with much better ergonomics. Steve is right in looking for the bigger engine in it but there is not a 3.6L Pentastar engine that was ever offered in the Liberty. It would be the 3.7L Powertech engine. The 4 cylinder is anemic at best.

And correct me if im wrong, but isnt the Compass built off the Dodge Neon platform? I thought i read that somewhere back in the day. Either way, they strike me as a disposable vehicle with less than stellar resale values.

I looked at one of them before we got our WK, and one was all it took for me to know that i didnt want one, and i didnt want my wife driving one either lol.

TallGuyJeep
11-15-2016, 10:15 AM

We used to have a dodge caliber. It was our least favorite vehicle by far haha. Definitely know what you mean by the door thing.

TallGuyJeep
11-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Sounds like the consensus is the liberty over the compass by far. Might even be able to luck out and find a six speed which would be awesome.