PDA

View Full Version : How to remove rust from parts easily

4.3LXJ
11-09-2016, 01:20 PM
We all have it, rust somewhere. And we work hard to get rid of it by some mechanical means. There are chemical means, though they tend to be expensive. Here is a cheaper way, common household vinegar. Lemmon juice works too, but too expensive. Vinegar can be purchased by the gallon. Here is a before and after pic of an axle flange. Took three days, but easy as it comes. Also, you have to paint it immediately or you are back where you started

Pinkyman
11-09-2016, 04:43 PM
I just need someone to fill an in ground pool with this stuff, so i can drive my jeep in it lol

abebehrmann
11-09-2016, 05:00 PM
I just need someone to fill an in ground pool with this stuff, so i can drive my jeep in it lol

Might not have much left if you got rid of all that rust... :rolleye0012:

cpttuna
12-10-2016, 05:03 PM
you did not specify but I use Apple cider vinegar

4.3LXJ
12-10-2016, 08:55 PM
I used distilled, but I don't think it makes any difference

Pinkyman
12-13-2016, 10:47 AM
Might not have much left if you got rid of all that rust... :rolleye0012:

:p

Charlie Foxtrot
12-17-2016, 11:08 AM
Nice tip!

The active ingredient in vinegar is weak acetic acid. As a result, it shouldn't matter the source (apple cider vs plain) nor distilled vs non-distilled. So, use the cheap stuff. I find cheap gallon & larger jugs at the farm store (Tractor Supply, Farm & Fleet, RK, Big R, etc). Last batch I bought averaged a buck a gallon. I use a tub made from a plastic drum sliced in half (long-wise). There two things that will greatly affect how fast the acid works - temp and concentration (scientists call it 'molar concentration'). The de-rusting is an endothermic reaction which means that the reaction needs an outside source of heat. So keep your acid warm when in use. Years ago I worked in a shop that used bulk acetic acid in a stainless steel tank for cleaning metal. For stubborn jobs we used a submersible heater to speed up the reaction. If you do this, be aware that the acid will hurt you so wear the appropriate personal protective equipment. Stuff like rubber gloves, face shield & eye protection, protective apron, etc. BTW the acid will find all those little scrapes, cuts and openings in your skin (yeow!) If you want to stop the action of the acid, wash with mild soap - it's a 'base' so it counteracts acid. This works on your skin as well as the cleaned metal. Cheap dish soap works great. After the wash, wipe the cleaned metal with a rag wetted with light oil (ATF works very well). This will slow down the tendency for immediate rust formation on your newly de-rusted part.

denverd1
01-14-2017, 08:03 AM
cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk