PDA

View Full Version : 1999 XJ Power Steering Leak

Mudderoy
10-20-2016, 12:26 PM
Anyone know what the usual issue is with a power steering leak on a 97+, and the fix?

If not, I have to look for the leak and go from there?

bluedragon436
10-20-2016, 06:31 PM
I think most of what I saw when I was trying to track my leak down on my 97.. was it leaking @ the different seals in the gearbox.. I personally just replaced the gearbox due to it being worn beyond limits anyways... and ran all new lines and connections... and haven't had any further fluid showing outside of the reservoir.. Not all that expensive or hard to replace the gearbox or lines, or the pump/reservoir for that matter... Can you tell where it looks like it might be coming from??

4.3LXJ
10-20-2016, 06:52 PM
Check your O rings at the high pressure connections first

xj-jake
10-21-2016, 09:08 AM
If you're going to have to replace the box you might as well upgrade it to the Durango box as long as you're pulling it out. Just sayin..

Mudderoy
10-21-2016, 03:57 PM
If you're going to have to replace the box you might as well upgrade it to the Durango box as long as you're pulling it out. Just sayin..

No reason for Durango box for 30's

XJ Wheeler
10-21-2016, 09:47 PM
I'd say the high pressure hose. Seen several guys that had that go bad, including both mine and my brothers. Even met a guy a few weeks ago with a modded xj and his was leaking then. Mine was the crimp had a leak, my brothers had a pin hole that would squirt far with a turn of the wheel. Lol

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.