PDA

View Full Version : School me

4.3LXJ
10-11-2016, 12:34 PM
I'm semi sharp on mechanical stuff, but when it comes to bed liner, I'm a noob. I never really paid much attention to it, but now I am coming to the point where I want to paint my new/used axles with it. I'm looking for something I can paint on with a brush and have a semi descent look to it afterwards. I'm not looking for the ultra orange peel look.

cpttuna
10-11-2016, 08:08 PM
I'm using DupliColor bedliner for the underside of my jeeps. I'm pleased with it. It's $65 a gallon at oreilly auto parts but I get the military 10% discount. I'm on gallon #7. The last two gallons seem to have a thicker consistency then the earlier ones.

cpttuna
10-11-2016, 09:10 PM
It also comes in a spray can. You can test it for less $ and see how it works.

bluedragon436
10-12-2016, 03:16 AM
I have been using Rust-Oleum spray can liner on my bumpers and Jeep.. and it's held up pretty nicely. I'm wanting to order up some good bedliner that you can spray using a special gun and your compressor to do my floor, and depending on who that goes on and comes out.. may look at doing the exterior of my XJ too..

denverd1
10-12-2016, 05:30 AM
Im using rust oleum rubberized undercoating on a few things lately in rattle can. It stays tacky for quite a while and leaves a black residue if you touch it. Dont recommend it.

Have heard linex is too thick. Maybe check out monsta liner

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Pinkyman
10-12-2016, 08:10 AM
Can you use POR15? I used "Bed Armor" on my sliders, and they rusted through, although they may not have been prepped very well........

On my new bumper, ill be using POR15, and then spraying bedliner over it. Either that or im going to have the guys at work spray it with Polyurea, which is basically indestructible, but they cant get to it until some time in November.

Dredwolf
10-13-2016, 08:11 PM
I'm semi sharp on mechanical stuff, but when it comes to bed liner, I'm a noob. I never really paid much attention to it, but now I am coming to the point where I want to paint my new/used axles with it. I'm looking for something I can paint on with a brush and have a semi descent look to it afterwards. I'm not looking for the ultra orange peel look.

It pays to do your research on the newer products, but one thing I will tell you...DO THE RIGHT PREPARATION WORK!

When I was racing motocross, Hare Scrambles and Enduro (a long time ago...), bed liner was a new idea...but it worked awesome to get the insides of the race trailers done, made clean up after a muddy race easy...we would get the floor and about 36" up the walls done with a light color.

I have done a few truck beds, bed rails, bumpers, etc with various products. Some of the DIY products will fade with direct UV exposure vs the commercially applied ones. But DIY can save a lot of $$.

For the little '93 Ranger, I got a "under the rail" bed liner from the pull-a-part, and checked about getting just the bed rails done to hide the abused paint and small dents. Even though the streets are full of the newer trucks and JK's hosed down with Rhino Liner (there are at least 3 JK's in town owned by doctors with full Rhino Liner "paint jobs"), its not any cheaper. For two bed rails, I was quoted the same prince as getting the full bed done. Guess the parking lot full of late model SuperDuty and RAM trucks with lifts, wheels and hard shell bed covers, all adorned with YETI decals, should have tipped me off.

4.3LXJ
10-17-2016, 01:48 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I finally decided to go with POR15 frame and bed liner. Not ready to put it on yet, but I will be later in the winter.

nickyg
10-17-2016, 09:38 PM
Let us know how it works out. I've been thinking about ditching my plastic bed liner and use a brush on liner but have no idea where to start.

4.3LXJ
10-17-2016, 10:19 PM
It will be awhile. I am getting everything derusted right now and prepped for some welding. But you will see the results in many subsequent threads.

XJ Wheeler
10-18-2016, 04:00 PM
I've got a quart to put on my floor as well. My first time using it but hoping it's reputation holds true! Still not sure what I'm going to cover it with but since it's not an area where sun will reach I may not need to.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.