PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain weak point

choogala
10-10-2016, 02:32 PM
ok so I went to a jeep show this weekend and a guy had a buggy there showing off. he had a shop make him custom stub shafts for his Dana 80 steering axles because he keeps snapping stub shafts. no kidding the shafts are 3" round with Rockwell 2.5 ton u joints. they are the same size of the hub. custom everything just so he don't brake stub shafts. the inners are the same size of the Dana 80 rear shafts but has to be customer made to be a steer. so I have been thinking, so now that he has his stub shaft problem taken care of what would be his next weak point. drive shafts, t case trans...? I would think that axle joint or stub shafts would be a easy fix on the trail... thought?

4.3LXJ
10-10-2016, 03:03 PM
I am not sure what he is running. But I suspect his carnage is due to driving style. Anything can be broken. But one thing I do know about shafts is they are stronger if they are gun drilled

choogala
10-10-2016, 03:15 PM
its in a buggy with a stock 5.3 nothing fancy you know. I just thinks its stupid to not have a weak point. I have chromo shafts a Spicer forged u joints and that is my weak point.

4.3LXJ
10-10-2016, 03:17 PM
If it is the flange that is breaking you can solve that with a CV Rzeppa style joint. They are much stronger when turned lock to lock