PDA

View Full Version : New 2000 Cherokee owner

Jack605
10-10-2016, 09:56 AM
New owner of a 2000 Jeep Cherokee, good clean Jeep no rust frame is very clean for the age already cleared the codes on the engine. 140,000 miles on the 4.0 engine needs new headliner and new muffler.

Car is bought for my 16 yr old son to work on and drive, looking for opinions on what/who's manuals to buy in order to make working on her easier.

My current stable
1953 Dodge M37 (Currently waiting for new parts for the axles)
1963 F100 The Crown vic you see in the pictures is for new running gear on the F100

1969 Corvette, Running great just have to keep her going.

Jack

Mudderoy
10-10-2016, 10:08 AM
New owner of a 2000 Jeep Cherokee, good clean Jeep no rust frame is very clean for the age already cleared the codes on the engine. 140,000 miles on the 4.0 engine needs new headliner and new muffler.

Car is bought for my 16 yr old son to work on and drive, looking for opinions on what/who's manuals to buy in order to make working on her easier.

My current stable
1953 Dodge M37 (Currently waiting for new parts for the axles)
1963 F100 The Crown vic you see in the pictures is for new running gear on the F100

1969 Corvette, Running great just have to keep her going.

Jack

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to :xjtalk:

My opinion, no manuals. Everything I learned and use are from people that have posted on the Internet. I bought a Chilton's manual once for my 1973 Pontiac Ventura. I was very disappointed on the amount of detail that was in the book. Just doing it was a much better teacher. Years later the Internet comes along and not only can you see what to do through images, people were doing youtube videos. So much more helpful.

4.3LXJ
10-10-2016, 10:09 AM
Hanes or Chiltons available in most parts stores are a good start unless you want something with ever detail. Then you can get a Factory Service Manual on DVD

prerunner1982
10-10-2016, 10:11 AM
If you want a manual I would look at a Factory Service Manual (FSM). The Haynes/Chilton manuals are a joke.

Congrats on the clean Jeep.

abebehrmann
10-10-2016, 10:16 AM
Welcome to the site. I'd love to see some pics of that Dodge M37 (and the Corvette and F100 for that matter!).

As for the manuals, I've been pretty disappointed with the Haynes/Chiltons manuals for the XJ. I've found multiple mistakes and things that fell through the cracks in their manuals. The best manual I've found is the factory service manual, but they're $100+ if you want a paper copy. Luckily, I found this free pdf version online for your 2000 Jeep Cherokee http://cdn.xjjeeps.com/pdf/en-us/2000-service-manual.pdf

BleepinJeep on Youtube has a ton of how-to videos that are very helpful, I usually search for one of his videos or other videos on Youtube before starting on something. I then cross reference that video with what the FSM says and go from there.

Jack605
10-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the link, I agree with everyone that Chiltons is a useless item the service manual is what I was looking for.

Couple Pics

Jack

XJ Wheeler
10-10-2016, 11:56 PM
Man, nice collection!

The xj is a great choice for a first vehicle in my opinion. They're pretty easy to work on, one of the cheaper things when you do, and about as infinitely customizable as they come. The way they're built they are safe too. I got mine 12 years ago when I turned 16 and it's been a great experience. I've learned a ton on it and still do.

On the manual I got the factory service manual a few years back and it's very valuable. The price is steep but worth it in my opinion.

Welcome to xjtalk and let us know if you need any more help.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Jack605
11-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Driving the Jeep around I had a cylinder cut out (#5) after about 10 miles, I took her home and parked it until I had a chance to look at it. Pulled the codes it came up with both the cylinder not firing and a fuel injector problem. Anyone have an idea of what to look at? On a lighter note the Boys and I are going junk yard shopping this weekend.

Jack.

4.3LXJ
11-09-2016, 06:36 PM
Sounds like an injector failure

bluedragon436
11-11-2016, 09:23 PM
Those are some very nice and clean rides... As far as manuals, I have both the Chiltons as well as the Haynes manuals, and use them on occasion more for torque values than anything else, but got them both for a decent deal... I used to have the FSM on my computer but once my HD crashed out I lost all of them, but am looking to pick one up on DVD/USB stick..

Jack605
11-14-2016, 07:35 AM
Now that it has been a few weeks driving the Jeep we have the following projects lined up for next week.

Replace whole front end (grill, lights bumper, fender flairs with a 93 front end) found a brand new one in the back of a junk yard Jeep and I could not pass up the opportunity since my front has a crack and the bumper was pushed in on one side slightly.

Picked up a window motor and a couple of switches, picked up Fuel Injector (four hole) as well and a missing light for the back ceiling area.

Lots of work to do next weekend.

Jack.

P.S. anyone need a new front left fender I know where to get one.