PDA

View Full Version : Oops I bought ....... a ZJ

cj4a nz
10-09-2016, 01:15 AM
well I wasn't planning on getting another 4wd just yet but a Nice guy on here offered me a little red ZJ ..............................................
oh well life could be worst could of bought a landy :smiley-scared003:

so I now have a 2: lift kit
bull bar/ winch bar that may fit :pray:
and a little cosmetic tidy up
and a set of engine and trans mount's from the states, hope the fit a RH drive

More to come

4.3LXJ
10-09-2016, 08:31 AM
:congrats: Warren. Going up already eh?

cj4a nz
10-10-2016, 01:06 AM
the last jeep was on 32" tyres I got to get this close to that :D
finding the time is still an issue
Wife painting the kitchen, I'm working on the caravan for going away with the jeep in 2 weeks time, and trying to get the jeep to what I want it to be .......
keep watching this space

4.3LXJ
10-10-2016, 10:04 AM
Sounds like you are going to be putting in late nights Waren

cantab27
10-10-2016, 10:54 AM
bigger oil cooler if towing slick .......van should be right but still

cj4a nz
10-11-2016, 01:26 AM
was on the plan's may have to check this week do have a cooler sitting here (for the ute)
may end up elsewhere ..........

bluedragon436
10-11-2016, 04:50 AM
Looks like a pretty decent deal you got yourself there, Warren.. Even though it's a ZJ, still look forward to seeing buildup of it..

cj4a nz
10-12-2016, 03:32 AM
Cheers Bluedragon436

It sound's like the bull bar I have bought for it is off an XJ so that has to be close .......:D

Got most of the roof lining glued backon tonight have left the edges till tomorrow night as I want to be able to get the lining to stick to the curve, hope the glue I am using will hold :p:rolleye0012:

denverd1
10-12-2016, 05:36 AM
Clean ZJ! Red too!! Will look great with a little lift and bigger tires

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

cj4a nz
10-18-2016, 03:23 AM
ok no pic's yet ...............
roof lining back in all other bits back in have the roof console ready to put up but the wiring for the lights are different colour :mad: and can't work them out ....yet
it has been vacuumed out and even horror been washed :crazy: with soapy water and a brush ................................

the bits on order for quadratc aren't in stock slightly pissed but shit happens
as for the front bar it looks like getting harder the more I look at it not only removal of the air bags and sensors etc. now the seatbelts need changed from the pretension one to the old fashion rocker ones :rolleye0012:
may be a turfor may be the go ...... but where's the fun in that

am using to tow the caravan back to camp this weekend and may be allowed a little play where we stay :bacondance: :D

4.3LXJ
10-18-2016, 11:01 AM
Really getting in to this eh Warren?

cj4a nz
10-19-2016, 03:19 AM
well it aint much good being shiny all the time, or sitting waiting to be fixed like the last one

cantab27
10-19-2016, 01:21 PM
I would take it back .....

cj4a nz
11-01-2016, 01:29 AM
well she drew first blood last night a little oops getting the spring out.:P

:rolleyes:after having a look I think she may be lifted ?

anyone know the stock height to the guard mines 810mm on average, have found 165cm to the roof bit hard to measure as she sits

cj4a nz
11-29-2016, 02:04 AM
ok so the roof console is done not 100% happy but it can be revisited if required

the lift is on hold not sure which way I will go, and don't like spring clamps any more :rolleye0012: :rolleye0012:

the front bumper came off tonite it's a bit different than I expected :beer: time
am thinking replicate the left hand recovery point and bolt/ weld the winch plate to that but would like a top mounting point to stop any downward flex

suggestions

and have started collecting bit's for the rear bar / tyre carrier :o

cj4a nz
12-13-2016, 01:19 AM
ok a bit more progress
have the brackets to hold the winch plate made now to work out all the gussets I need am slightly copying the JRC winch bar brackets but like over kill for strength
the winch plate arrived today along with a pulley for the winch and I am not sure on the if the bar I bought is going to work so am looking at other idea's

and have worked out it is 1 week and a bit till Christmas so if I want a winch at Christmas time I better pull finger
pic's to come

and also my 3rd attempt to get bits from quadtrac worked and have the rear main to do........... and all the upper track rod bushes :rolleyes:

4.3LXJ
12-13-2016, 11:05 AM
Gotta be annoying waiting for that slow boat from the States to arrive

cj4a nz
12-14-2016, 02:00 AM
na it appears I did not reply to the correct email address to confirm that I wanted the parts :bang: yep I was told to reply and managed to stuff it up :rolleye0012:

nothing like leaving things till the last minute :xj-pink:

cantab27
12-14-2016, 10:46 AM
Gotta be annoying waiting for that slow boat from the States to arrive

bout 10 days when done right .........................:D:D:D:D:D:smiley-scared003:

4.3LXJ
12-14-2016, 10:48 AM
8 days too long :bang:

cj4a nz
12-17-2016, 02:18 AM
yep was bout 10 days ...........................
well I have the winch bar sorted ............ well sort of :rolleye0012: :beer:
I have decide to move the gusset up so they touch the winch plate then fully weld everything but the little mr murphy was here today and have now run out of wire GRRRRRRRRRRR oh there is a bigger welder at work for better penetration (of the weld) guess the rear main and bushes will be waiting till after Christmas

4.3LXJ
12-17-2016, 09:44 AM
Nice looking line there Warren. Now you can winch in the dark :D

bluedragon436
12-17-2016, 09:50 AM
Winch plate looks good.... I was thinking about getting an orange synthetic line for my winch (once I finally get one that is)... I'm just curious what it'll look like once it gets dirty, and even more so covered in mud... that's the only thing stopping me... but that winch looks like it came with it, as I've seen a few companies that offer the orange standard!!

cj4a nz
12-17-2016, 07:41 PM
Ha ha Steve I have light's to be bought, then installed, had a conversation with our local Hella ( lights etc) rep and he suggested going for a thinner style light as it would vibrate less , and make sense to me :confused: :smiley-scared003: so will see what happens when it all starts coming together

James
not sure what the rope will look like dirty I bought the winch in a moment of madness when I had the CJ I paid $600 ish for it, will be interesting to see how it holds up to the use it will get.

well have the air horns working now I hade a slight brain fade when I wired them up :rolleye0012: all rectified now and the gussets aren't being relocated I will be welding a bit or round bar in to fill up the gap, for me the risk is too great of it all turn to shit at the last minute I need to :xj-yellow: :xj-yellow: it

cantab27
12-17-2016, 08:58 PM
all rope looks like shit after bout 6 months of use and abuse.....repco one warren

cj4a nz
12-19-2016, 02:52 AM
gee dude got to get this one dirty first,
will be on tomorrow nite all welded up now couldn't be bothered when I got home tonight

cj4a nz
01-07-2017, 06:19 PM
ok been off on holiday all went well, winch rope is now on a bit tighter
did have one little oops I need to fit an insolating switch between the battery and winch, it bloody heavy to push to get a jump start :o :o
have worked out the finished look of the bar, sorry the design is in my head !!:rolleye0012:

but the bad news is the ABS light came on when I checked the caravan lights were working :crazy: now I can't get it to go out and have a WOF due in the next month, and the ABS light on is a fail Grrrrrrrrrrr Ideas anyone, I may of blown something in the ABS system ............. will pull the fuses and see what happens

Am pulling the winch off and replacing the factory bumper for the WOF to keep it sorta legal till I have all the mods sorted

4.3LXJ
01-07-2017, 06:22 PM
Oh yeah, bless those inspectors eh Warren?

cj4a nz
01-11-2017, 02:08 AM
ok front upper arm top bushes replace, the ones in the axle seem ok
the rears uppers done and all back in

book in for the laptop to check out the abs issue tomorrow, hope it only a reset :pray::pray:
then a steam clean the oil leaks, won't they don't see don't hurt them :rolleye0012:

have found a rip in the "chassis" that I will have to fix then hide, but a muddy road a bit hard to find at the moment :bang: :xj-yellow::driving:

oh well it is what it is ........................
then rip in to the bar work .................... oh and the rear main seal

4.3LXJ
01-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Rip? :eek:

cantab27
01-11-2017, 01:45 PM
found a rip in the "chassis"

please explain.....................................didn't know they had one ..............just saying

shit last owner must of been rough

cj4a nz
01-12-2017, 02:08 AM
yep rip
looks like some muppet has tied her down by the holes on the sub frame 3 have slight pull marks and one has been torn, will post pic's Later

abs fault all cleared the wires had broken, would of taken me hrs by the sparky had it done in 1/4 that time, money well spent but have a o2 sensor fault that has gone away, but will look at replacing it in the future, easier in the workshop that in a bog or muddy track :D

cantab27
01-12-2017, 11:48 AM
when she was imported by the looks ..................jeeps looking good , warren brought by home last night ...

cj4a nz
01-13-2017, 12:32 AM
would these fit
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1238767876
pity there aren't 5

4.3LXJ
01-13-2017, 10:58 AM
If the bolt pattern is as advertised, then yes

cantab27
01-13-2017, 12:41 PM
what Steve said ...other rims ya got look better ...16s ?? what on it cant remember

cj4a nz
01-14-2017, 12:51 AM
she's on 15" 235/75/15 ?? or 245/75/15
If I went 16" I could stay skinny and go taller would love 30" or 32" but may have to lift too high

have you found the Tyre size of project 8K ?

cantab27
01-14-2017, 12:57 AM
yes yes I shall look its in shed brother..................have more room to fit with the zj came with the 16s

cj4a nz
01-15-2017, 01:01 AM
so Barbie has a partner to sit beside OUTSIDE then, what size? I could try before I buy tyres :):)

cj4a nz
01-15-2017, 03:25 AM
ok here is the rip and one that show the pull on the opposite side.
have drained engine oil not to drop the sump and do rear main .........

4.3LXJ
01-15-2017, 10:37 AM
That looks like a cut by something real sharp

cj4a nz
01-21-2017, 08:15 PM
ok the rims are mine, have not tried to fit them
have the engine back together and runs no oil leaks ................. so far

am trying to get motivated to repair the Rip but too cold and it warm inside with the fire going, yep middle of summer and the fire on so much for the hot summer we were promised. most like off to get the bars done on Tuesday then a WOF early next week

cj4a nz
01-23-2017, 01:35 AM
ok Have collect rims the off set is larger than I currently have
they measure 5 3/4" from the rear of the rim to the centre of hub :mad:
will look at get them modified if required

the rear main is back in and the sump on :rolleye0012::rolleye0012:
still have a little puddle :smiley-scared003: :sad0147:

as or the rip, what rip
arggh whats that !!!!!!!!!!! safety first

cj4a nz
02-14-2017, 03:24 AM
Well she's road legal again and currently get the bars made for the front and the side rails
this is what the winch plate looks like prior to the bars

cj4a nz
02-18-2017, 01:40 AM
well got her back last night :bacondance: :D
here is the bar once I finished a few things to be painted tomorrow.
here is a little teaser

and have the sill protector pipes bent and here now to make brackets up but have to work on my Daily driver as she is due for a WOF and I have slight light issues, ie the don't work ...................
oh may have entered a comp :rolleye0012::rolleye0012:

cantab27
02-18-2017, 02:15 AM
no no no .........you have entered ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no don't thank me and keith will navi.....

cj4a nz
02-18-2017, 06:06 PM
SWEET and I have a leave pass for the weekend,

bar painted and working on the placement for the winch controller, currently behind the head light but have had to move the air horns ........
oh and it's y daily driver till the ute is road legal

cj4a nz
02-18-2017, 10:31 PM
well I have her back together again, the only hiccup was I missed painting the back of one bracket but had enough paint in my mixing jar to brush finish it
have to shorten the earth and Positive lead and run the + lead via an isolator switch wa looking at a solenoid style but have been told the have a high fail rate so will go old fashion manual one.

will get brackets for the sill protectors bent this week then fit them up :rolleye0012:

Oh and still havn't started on the ute issue :o

cj4a nz
02-18-2017, 10:42 PM
hope the photo's are here

4.3LXJ
02-19-2017, 12:29 AM
They made it Warren

cj4a nz
02-19-2017, 01:28 AM
Very funny Steve

:smiley-taunt002:
:smiley-taunt002:
:smiley-taunt002::D

cantab27
02-19-2017, 01:40 AM
just looking to see where recovery points are ...save time for when I hook her up to barbie , you know to help you through things ....heh heh

cj4a nz
02-20-2017, 03:07 AM
there is a pic of the rear hooks somewhere for you to check where youre hooking Barbie up to.

isn't that what you meant ?? :rolleyes:

ute seam's fixedso WOF time for her

brackets for the sill protectors being collected tomorrow arvo :D

cj4a nz
03-09-2017, 03:09 AM
ok after struggling keeping my daily driver road legal I have made some more progress
The sill protectors made and fitted, still need to paint but have a wheel alignment and tyre balance and rotation booked for tomorrow the painting will have to wait

it don't look like much but a lot of thought 1 small hiccup and a few too many hours in the shed here one is ( the other attached to the Jeep)

well ok no photo it won't load, will try tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cantab27
03-09-2017, 12:40 PM
we are payed up and entry forms are in ........ team shits and giggles rides again.......no rush mate haven't barbie in 4wd since last trip over there ...oh have 35s on way ..

cj4a nz
03-13-2017, 12:46 AM
ok
bar all sorted, sill protectors fitted just need painted, Thursday ?? weather allowing
but .......................................... sorted the wiring for the winch then tried it the winch pulls the rope in but only get a click click when I go to feed it out :confused:...... but to get to the solieniod in need to
remove the winch bar :mad::bang:
remove the front grill :mad0090:
then try to loosen the bolts off with out he nuts falloff :sad0147:

then wire it all back together to try it:rolleye0012:

ideas before I commit suicide or pull it all apart ..............

Hum Wee JR
03-13-2017, 08:10 PM
I had a winch do the same thing. Used someone else's remote and worked fine. If you have access to another remote for the same winch, give it a try. At least you will know if you need to pull apart everything or not.

cantab27
03-13-2017, 10:53 PM
winchs in that's all ya need ...navi can pull rope ............................

cj4a nz
03-14-2017, 01:34 AM
that's my train of thought as well, will be leaving well alone

cj4a nz
03-30-2017, 03:07 AM
Ok
sill protectors painted and on :D
all packed and ready for the weekend :bacondance: :xj-red: :xj-red:

Have 2 Wrangler recover items :smiley-scared003:
and several ZJ recover items ...................
Bring it on .................................................. .................:pray:
till next week folks .

cantab27
04-02-2017, 10:28 PM

cantab27
04-02-2017, 10:29 PM

cantab27
04-02-2017, 10:30 PM

cantab27
04-02-2017, 10:31 PM
let warren fill in the words ......................

cj4a nz
04-03-2017, 02:46 AM
Well since those Photo's don't tell the complete story ....
I drove to Reefton, went with a Wrangler and a Toyota on a nice drive in the country, so they said ... 1st mistake
followed said vehicles around an old pine plantation ... getting set up

followed them down a track which got skinny and bumpy then there was a watery muddy hole, go left they said ..... a picture forming here :D

went left .... ohh that's soft time to get out of here ...... too late stuck :o:xj-red:

got pulled out backwards by a nice Wrangler :beer: then set up for a decent run .... got a bit further then out with the winch Navi up to his knees in the water ..... Good guy that one.... He's a keeper
winched myself out using the Toyota as an anchor till i was pulling him back, then he snatched me out .... good guy

then we proceeded to get to our waypoint took the required photo, drove back out hooking all 3 vehicles up to get thru the hole ........ Cheers Guys

headed back to Reefton for lunch and to get another couple of waypoints ... my temp gauge shot thru the roof :smiley-scared003:
stopped to have a look ..........................................
pop, and green HOT water spraying everywhere ...........shit

once it was decided we need to have a look I git a tow ........... from a Toyota back to the RSA and we proceed to remove the radiator ........... to fix it up so I could drive home :xj-red:

well the radiator was found to be beyond repair Pic to come ....... another great JEEP owner had a spare I could borrow/ buy to get me home ...........
it was beer o'clock by then so we packed up for the day.

while others look like they were enjoying themselves we fitted the replacement radiator fixed the hole in that one ( bars bugs great stuff) we headed home slowly / carefully stopping frequently to check the water level
got to drop my Navi hopme and found the back of the Jeep with a fine splattering of oil :smiley-scared003::smiley-scared003:

now the transfer case rear seal was leaking grrrrrrr
oh well, kept heading home got here safe but with a few newer bangs, clanks and grinding noises, wash most of the Mud off and put her in the shed...

now to fix
transfer case, not a quadtrac one 351? wrangler or XJ one
replace noise idler bearing on the drive belt
replace the radiator, looking at an ali one tomorrow
find the other new noises in the front end
strip and clean the winch, it worked well :bacondance:

had a blast enjoyed every moment of it and want to do it again but with better results

cantab27
04-03-2017, 02:56 AM
bigger tires ..oil cooler move ????sort rad out bigger and t case seal f all to change

4.3LXJ
04-03-2017, 10:43 AM
Looks like a good time by all. Good team work. gonna need to put water wings on the Jeep and make it there for an afternoon drive some day

cj4a nz
04-04-2017, 03:46 AM
well have priced 2 radiators
1 at 350.00 from a chch supplier standard or one ex Auckland dealer 300.00 ish for a larger all alloy one will price the other local radiator place tomorrow ........ then wait for pay day
and the one I stuffed was an original mopar one not a bad run for the age of it

am looking at a 2" lift sometime in the near future then maybe 32" tyres

but first the transfer case change don't like the quadtrac

4.3LXJ
04-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Good plan on the tcase Warren. Yours is not going to see city use

cj4a nz
04-11-2017, 02:50 AM
well what a week for the Jeep
a new alloy radiator in :bacondance:
a new trans cooler in the back seat :D
even been thru the car wash !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
engine bay steamed cleaned
winch in pieces on the bench waiting for motivation to finsh cleaning it out then reassembling it
winch rope off and washed !!!!!!
a new idler pulley sitting beside the trans cooler, there a rumble somewhere

and I haven't even removed the winch bar to do any of that

so whats next

transfer case most defiantly and the front drive shaft then :xj-blue:

cj4a nz
04-14-2017, 02:26 AM
:smiley-angry021:well new trans cooler in , did relocate it once I had a 2nd look at it now high and in the air flow
winch been stripped and checked for UFO's nil found in important places then reassembled even washed out the indicators and dried the inside of the lights out !!!!!!!
OTT I think, all back together went to put the winch rope back on ...................:bang::smiley-angry021: yep the winch doesn't work not even a click so off with everything to replace the solenoid :mad::smiley-angelic006: next week need it tomorrow, better not go too far onto the beach :sad0147:
oh well that 4wdrives for ya

4.3LXJ
04-14-2017, 09:49 AM
Hey Warren, I had an issue like that with a Mile Marker. Turned out to be a sticky brush on the armature. Fixed it by kicking it around on the shop floor a few times

cj4a nz
04-23-2017, 02:53 AM
am going to try the winch directly to the battery, the warranty runs out middle of next month .......

4.3LXJ
04-25-2017, 05:20 PM
Warren, if the battery doesn't do it, try tapping the end with a hammer. Sometimes the brushes get stuck. Had it happen to me. Threatened it with a hammer and it started working

cj4a nz
06-13-2017, 03:38 AM
ok thought I replied last night but .................................................. .
have installed the 242 had a little issue with a buzzer going off sorted now
the linkage seems to move ok and it the 242 arm with the factory shifter.
stuffed if I know what the buzzer is for, permently silenced now
still have to source a front diff yoke so have factory front drive shaft still fitted.
have wired up for the roof light
have sorted the winch the solenoid was broken inside it so ended up with a new hand controller so .................. wired a winch switch into my overhead console alongside my roof light switch and even ran a dash light wire to make them pretty at night, next thing is to install the relay to isolate the roof console when the ing is off, wires run, parts bough,t motivation required
did smack my head while playing sparky resulting with Monday off work
so I need to :xj-blue: :xj-blue: now

4.3LXJ
06-13-2017, 10:12 AM
Hope the head gets better Waren

cj4a nz
06-16-2017, 02:31 AM
Cheers Steve :D
went to start her tonight to take to work tomorrow ................... hard to start and a lot of vapour out the exhaust and won't idle ,but will run while holding some rev's up :bang:
when it was on the computer they made a comment the o2 sensor had a fault but went away.

must work out how to access all that stuff thru the dash

guess I'm taking the ute

4.3LXJ
06-16-2017, 10:07 AM
Great to have a spare eh Warren. Vapor not a good sign

cantab27
06-16-2017, 02:46 PM
tps .......................

cj4a nz
06-17-2017, 07:34 PM
TPS ? throttle position sensor ?
started ok yesterday arvo will try again today and may take tomorrow
would this read the computer
http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=1345777131&cc=21&pid=541018084&hbc=&member_hash=&ct=title-link

Cheers

cj4a nz
06-24-2017, 11:22 PM
well been too cold at night to get to motivated to get into the workshop
so after the rain this morning I went to "tidy up" :rolleye0012: :rolleye0012:

got a bit done then I will have a quick look at the gear selector, once I sorted a helper I worked out which way to adjust the linkage only a couple of attempts and it felt correct into 2, 4hi , neutral, 2 lo
a slow drive around the block onto and out of 2wd feels ok double check all is tight put the guard back on buggering the 2 nuts in the cross member :o:o
and then a drive down the road..................... what a difference seems quicker off the mark :rolleyes: no pulling/lumpy feel when doing a tight u turn

now to sort the rear bar out have "borrowed" a few ideas on the ones put up on here and on other forums,

I would like to incorporate a box for the hi lift, and a chain or rope
swing away wheel carrier with a tool box behind it , have to work out how to hold it open ?
led reverse lights
2nd set of tail lights led
a place number plate and led light
maybe some high recover points.

4.3LXJ
06-24-2017, 11:25 PM
One observation Warren, the kid had a bag for his recovery gear behind the spare on his swing away tire carrier. Didn't take long to out grow it.

cj4a nz
06-24-2017, 11:59 PM
Cheers Steve have thought about that the plan is only for the need NOW stuff, shackles, fire extinguisher, maybe bolted to it, gloves and my bridle rope. a snatch strap/ rope can be looped around the spare
I will have a tool kit inside where the tyre currently lives for all the other tools

4.3LXJ
06-25-2017, 12:01 AM
OK, talk to me when your rescue gear grows .... and grows... and grows :D

You are wheeling in the mud. You will need more stuff than us boys that stay on the rocks

cantab27
06-25-2017, 02:06 AM
don't need the hi lift mate .......never carry one ie someone else has em....got one in me shed and that's where it lives....

cj4a nz
06-25-2017, 03:00 AM
Steve, I go 4wding with a bloke that has most recover gear I might just Borrow his gear on the day:smiley-scared003:

if the hi lift becomes too much of a pain it will be in the shed or getting sold.
started having a declutter, can't find anyone to take the ............. thou :rolleye0012:

4.3LXJ
06-25-2017, 09:59 AM
I'm with Wayne, I don't use a hi lift either

cj4a nz
07-01-2017, 12:08 AM
ok well took her to work the other day a dream to drive an I think she is pulling lower revs at 100 kms and I have now done 120 ish kms since I filled up and not near the 3/4 full mark yet so a fuel saving could be a bonus

I had a rivnut put into the roof to secure the roof console put it must of damaged the thread installing it half way to town the bloody thing fell down :mad: will run a 6mm tap thru it to fix it

anyone know how the roof rack comes off ?? I want to put a couple of led lights there and want it off to drill the holes.

cantab27
07-01-2017, 12:28 AM
roof rack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35s96fVHqt0

cj4a nz
07-22-2017, 11:24 PM
ok
roof rack has been taken off 2 led lights added and put back on I have today finally wired it up thru the correct switch :D
side bars bend and fitted was going to do the rear bar but $$$ issue ..... again
I have started on the mounting brackets for the rear bar once I managed to remove the factory bolts that hold the bumper bracket and the tow bar, they are a neat idea when new but a little rust and they are not my favourite things in the world I am usinig 10.9 bolts and large flanged nuts welded to the new brackets

due to the rain and water running over the roads out this way I have been taking it everywhere and am please to report it seems to be running fine

cj4a nz
07-22-2017, 11:28 PM
hope there are pics this time

4.3LXJ
07-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Minor flooding Warren?

cantab27
07-23-2017, 03:56 PM
https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/95031329/roads-remain-closed-across-christchurch-as-water-restrictions-lift

media beat up around town ....bout yeah bit wet ........jeep looking good mate

4.3LXJ
07-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Yeah, a wee bit wet. Good to have a Jeep now eh?

cantab27
07-23-2017, 04:48 PM
hes got a zj still saving for a jeep .......ha ha .......

cj4a nz
07-24-2017, 02:56 AM
yep a bit wet at the back of my place over the weekend bout 6" of water lying on the back lawn guess bout 100- 130 mls rain Thursday to Saturday arvo, the river I cross has been low/ no flow for months the peaked at nearly 700qms on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!

well have trimmed the front bar so I don't catch myself on it each time I walk past her in the shed now:D

was talking to a bloke looking to buy a jeep on Saturday ..................... oh and due for my WOF (roadworthy) on Monday :smiley-scared003: :rolleye0012:

cj4a nz
08-05-2017, 11:51 PM
Well Road legal again. I did have to put the rear bumper back on......
Now I gotta use the thing !!!

4.3LXJ
08-06-2017, 09:10 AM
Remember the pics or it didn't happen :D

cj4a nz
08-23-2017, 02:41 AM
well have entred the mudplug at the end of next month

Wayne I may need a tow at some stage :D

cj4a nz
08-26-2017, 09:02 PM
well here you go the trimmed bar

cj4a nz
09-05-2017, 03:08 AM
oops I should not be left unsupervised on trade me .............

But Christmas has come early now to fit them

bluedragon436
09-05-2017, 02:33 PM
Nothing wrong with good deals.. I'm always on the prowl, looking for deals.. so when you see a good deal, got to jump on it and snag em!!

cj4a nz
09-14-2017, 05:10 AM
well after souring more diff oil, crap it's expensive
does it have to be synthetic any way here's the result
I did work out the dipstick ( no,not this owner) length and it should of been about 1 1/2 ltrs of oil but was overfill with 1 ltr :rolleye0012:

oh will probably be draining it after the 24th anyway .........

cj4a nz
09-24-2017, 04:01 AM
getting ready for the Mud plug:xj-yellow::xj-yellow:

last Wednesday rung my Navie and asked he was good for Sunday, sorry got the kids :bang:
and the Trailer, sorry the owners is using it :bang::bang:
I will find a navie and drive up, yeah right no navie to be found, and the organisers were very keen for me Not to do any stages ..... a bit wet and watched a couple of trucks .... put my chicken pants on did 2 stages and pulled the pin, did get it muddy and yep stuck, twice ........... pic to come

on the down side found my new front diff cover was weeping oil .... so now have to redo the job :mad: looks like it coming thru the bottom bolt .... sigh

was a good day a couple of lie downs but nothing to dramatic

4.3LXJ
09-24-2017, 09:52 AM
Sounds fun Warren, and yes, pics are required

cj4a nz
11-08-2017, 03:07 AM
well havn't seen any pictures yet but after recover from my 2nd only ever overseas tripn to Rarotonga

I have got motivated and removed the rear bumper and have fabricated some brackets up to hold the custom rear bar and swing away spare carrier,
but the design is still evolving :confused::confused::confused:
so will get some pic's after fixing the ride on mower ... that's another story :bang::bang::bang:

the redesign moves on at a snail pace but moving forward

cj4a nz
11-24-2017, 04:53 PM
well stage 1 of the bar is on, waiting for pipes to be bent and make it a little more road legal..........:rolleyes:

was away last weekend in her and there was a strange grumbly noise under the bonnet at start up, turn the sounds up and it went away:indifferent0020:

I need to get the A/C going so off came the compressor and it could be the culprit waiting to see if my A/C man can fix it or get me a good price on a new one, or I may make up a bracket with a pulley, (have found XJ/ZJ made bracket but the don't fit the 1997?)and have window A/C, Window's down A/c On, up is Off :D:D

as for the air horns, they could be an item I am about to loose the have packed up again, sitting in the Garage :sad0147::sad0147:

and am contemplating build a flat roof rack for the shovel and hi lift as too tight to buy one at the moment, looking at another section then building again and selling our current place
till next time

4.3LXJ
11-24-2017, 05:40 PM
Warren, I don't know how much it would end up being, but compressors are fairly cheap here. Shipping might be a problem. Meanwhile, AC is what we call 4/80 AC here. Four windows down and 80 miles per hour :D

cantab27
11-27-2017, 02:07 AM
be a bearing on pulley for ac then re gas ............

cj4a nz
11-28-2017, 02:50 AM
nah bearing and clutch stuffed, my A/c man it talking $300.00 to fix a used one it $150.00 guess it's the 2nd hand route
pic's won't load they are too big, will post once I work out how to resize them

cj4a nz
03-19-2018, 03:52 AM
well a bit beeing going on in my life since I posted here, rear bar 3/4 done and had a wof (road legal) with the front andd rear bar.
we have bought another section well north of here (Waikari) sold this place in less than a week and now nealry finshed moving, more of my shite than in the house ..........:crazy: bought another caravan to live in at a caravan park.
No workshop no Garage my tools miles away how am I going to stay sane ......... I know use the thing.
photo's to come when I get my internet connections worked out

till later

4.3LXJ
03-19-2018, 10:04 AM
Good to hear from you Warren. Sounds good. You said section? In the US that means one square mile or 640 acres. That mean the same there?

cj4a nz
03-20-2018, 03:33 AM
haha nope 1/2 of what I currently have, it's 1000 sq meters, most new section mayne 600 sq but need a house of at least 250 sq mtrs,
less lawns is the best positive from this move

4.3LXJ
03-20-2018, 10:29 AM
Nothing like comparing how the kings english gets translated across the pond :D

cj4a nz
03-28-2018, 03:29 AM
well all moved ..... living in our 20 ft caravan on a 8 x 12 ish metre site in a caravan park.......
has taken a week to get internet sortand all mods will have to done by someone else as my tools further away.

4.3LXJ
03-28-2018, 12:24 PM
Hey Warren, you between houses or are you going to be living the life of a nomad?

cj4a nz
04-04-2018, 03:23 AM
Steve just living in what you guys call a trailer park, hooked into water, drainage and power, as we are currently set up this van isn't that nomadish.
we have our other caravan set upon the new section with a garden shed full of "stuff" and my trailer but we have started the layout of the new house,going to have to find a concrete placer in north canterbury ............. me thinks.the jeep is currently a moveable shed but the quantity is slowly being reduced

4.3LXJ
04-04-2018, 10:19 AM
Ah, movable shed. Here if you have a shed with wheels on it, you don't have to pay property taxes on it :D Hope you get it all sorted out soon

cj4a nz
04-05-2018, 02:17 AM
hopefully a pic of my new digs attached

4.3LXJ
04-05-2018, 10:49 AM
Right up town Warren. My first "house" was on wheels

cj4a nz
04-16-2018, 02:14 AM
well went to my movable storage unit today,(ZJ) and there is a puddle of water on the drivers side floor, hoping it was my roof light wire letting the water passed the door seal ............................................

need to use the damn thing in 4wd that is , in anger ...

4.3LXJ
04-16-2018, 11:15 AM
I agree, use is the best medicine for it :D

cj4a nz
05-12-2018, 10:00 PM
well have worked out there is a leak somewhere as the water reappears after some rain :mad:

have also thrown a 2nd set of feet on her Bridgestone A/T's used but heaps of tread left, feels my nicer on the road and lots quiter and makes it look very domestic will get lots more mile's out of the M/T tyres

after having the tryes fitted lower my R/H rear window to let the inside air out after a couple of stops on the way home the dash didn't display any thing no rev, speed, oil,temp, fuel gauges working then the windows would go up :mad0090: had a dig around this Morning no fuses I can find blown :confused: so I now have a major issue as she sits outside and is going to rain for the next week currently have a tarp over the window and parked as close to a stack of bricks to reduce the amount of rain that can get to that side of the Jeep

does anyone have any idea what has gone bang in my wiring system ????????

off to MR Google this arvo ....

4.3LXJ
05-12-2018, 10:35 PM
Since so many things have been affected at once, I think you might have a ground issue where all those come together. Does the left had window work? Just a thought, thee is a fuse box on the right hand side in stateside ZJs accessible when the door is open. Just a thought there since I don't know where it would be on yours

cj4a nz
05-13-2018, 02:09 AM
Hi Steve
Yes thats where my fuse box is as well, Started there pulled a few out to check them but look OK
where would the ground point be I need to look at?
Dr Google is pointing to it being a BCM ????
may have to borrow a workmates compter reader thingy did borrow it a week agon and the only falt was an o2 sensor
due to the rain nothing will be done this week...

4.3LXJ
05-13-2018, 09:16 AM
Yes, BCM would be the place to look. Also look at the fuse for it in the power distribution center (big fuse box)

cj4a nz
05-28-2018, 02:08 AM
Ok couldn't find any blown fuses, bit the bullet and ordered a used BCM from the local dismantler $100 later it arrived at work on friday, once I got all the Jobs around here done and before it rained ..again I went to install the BCM went to move it nothing nada dead WT? :bang::bang: put the jump pack on nope it wasn't even reading the Battery.. 2.3 volt ?????????? Borrowed a friends older style jump pack fired up first flick of the key and the dash worked, so did the windows ........ :confused:
Any idea's

A friend has borrowed the Jeep as he wrote his wagon off on friday and everything is still working

I hate electrical issues and Jeeps this week ...........
Oh and it's still raining :banghead:

4.3LXJ
05-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Glad yo ugot it sorted out. The rain will go away, eventually :D

cj4a nz
06-20-2018, 04:20 AM
Well got her back last week and since we are going to the section in her this weekend and petrol was 10 cent a litre off($2.219 a litre) I took her to town
still wandering at 100kms so it's not the tyres :bang: but a lot quiter on the road and still have apuddle on the drivers (right ) foot well am thinking it running down the A pillar as the carpet isn't wet from just above the floor level and could of been causing my electrical issue on a brighter note I have a spare BCM :rolleyes:

4.3LXJ
06-20-2018, 09:36 AM
It is progress Warren

cj4a nz
08-15-2018, 04:20 AM
well bugger all done recently
the water leak seems to be gone .......

still have a spare bcm
oh and road legal for another 6 months, for the last wof I was noted onthe left hand headlight was the wrong head light for NZ and I had too much play in the front link rods, due to me being a stubbon, pig headed person:D I didn;t change them and had no issue with my new wof guy:bacondance:

now to :xj-green:

4.3LXJ
08-15-2018, 10:56 AM
Wrong light for NZ? How do you do that?

cj4a nz
08-16-2018, 04:17 AM
it was going to the right? the same as you lot that drive on the wrong side of the road, :mel:

But as mine is a jap import and the previous owner wasn't that dodgy to fit the incorrect light I found it hard to believe, I had had the front grill out a couple of times :D I may of had it all twisted up
the wof guy didn't even worry about the bars nice that less stress

and on the shed front I am getting a 6 mtr x 7.2 long enclosed now :bacondance::bacondance:

and the house is looking good, on paper ... and a possible larger deck

4.3LXJ
08-16-2018, 09:02 AM
That is progress

bluedragon436
08-16-2018, 10:47 AM
Sounds like not a whole lot to get her good to go with the inspection next go around... And sounds awesome on the shed/house front!!!

cj4a nz
08-19-2018, 03:24 AM
yep I like a clean bill of health at wof time:bacondance:

but have a funny crunching sound in the front right hub when in 4wd, and confirmed when there was 3 skid marks on the ground after trying to move the caravan with the brakes on :o
how hard is a CV to change on these things, my workshop manual is in storage ..... but I do have some more tools at home now( well in the back of the ute). but do need more axle stands as mine are holding the caravan up......

4.3LXJ
08-19-2018, 08:57 AM
The CV isn't hard, you just have to know how to do it. There is a snap ring on the end of the shaft that is similar to the one on the end of my impact wrench. It compresses. To get it off, you whack it with a hammer and it will come off the splines on the end of the shaft. Might be easier to get a new shaft. There is a tool that you use to compress the band to hold the boot on. Some of the boots I have priced are as much as a shaft. Go figure

cj4a nz
08-20-2018, 03:24 AM
ebay or a supplier on here , would you have a part number,
yep thats rich comming from a bloke that sits behind a computer finding truck parts all day .....................................:o
suppose I better have a look.. later:coffee:

4.3LXJ
08-20-2018, 09:24 AM
:smiley-bounce015:

cantab27
08-21-2018, 03:17 AM
Have a word to save for ya ...he's state side at mo...he's got ring and pinion for me ,he will be in the know ..back end of week

cj4a nz
11-03-2018, 09:36 PM
well have aquired a roof rack for the jeep but needs a mod or two so have made a start on modifing that..... to be finshed later :indifferent0020:

Have been battling with a water leak after much looking and thinking,changed the bottom radiator hose clamp which seemed to fix it but nope got that brassed off and went to pull the radiator out today undid most of the bolts that secured it in went to remove the expansion tank hose from the radiator it was B^&^%$Y split so reassembled everything, went for a drive and my leak has gone away ........ :rolleye0012: :rolleye0012:

as for the front CV it's still busted can't rush these things.

Till next time

cj4a nz
01-12-2019, 01:07 AM
well used it to go camping and had to get the winch out to set up the son inlaws caravan, but i only got the 2nd use not pulling the van almost into a nasty bush but this was back into a hole to level the van up , still waiting for the motivaing to check my CV issue, roof rack on still not sure if I am happy with it picture to come

am wondering if I may have a XJ to go and get muddy with ...................................

4.3LXJ
01-12-2019, 09:36 AM
othing like a two Jeep family Warren

cj4a nz
01-13-2019, 01:21 AM
not me geting a 2nd jeep, if i did it would be an old one, I was meaning the prevoius carrer of this one

cj4a nz
02-19-2019, 02:32 AM
well dropped it off for a WOF last night FAIL done just over 2 thous kms since last wof
but the rules have changed recently again....................... and there have been a review on some of the wof check that have not been up to standard so they are all running for cover
so i need to make my rear bar more pedrestion freindly WTF if they are that close to the jeep they are in serious trouble, but have to keep the wof man on side
here is the best picture I currently have

gee I miss having a shed ......................... but have one built just waiting for a floor ...............

4.3LXJ
02-19-2019, 09:38 AM
And we thought we had it bad in the Nanny State. I had a deer hit the back of my car once. If the people are that dumb, maybe you guys need to issue hunting licenses on them too. You could call it tourist season or something

downsy
02-19-2019, 08:40 PM
Whats WOF?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

cj4a nz
02-21-2019, 02:42 AM
Warrant Of Fitness I think you call them a road worthy ,
that needs to be caried out every 6 months if the vehicle is older than 2000 I think and anually if newer than that ( both of mine are on 6 monthly wofs)
we use to have to do them all every 6 months but I think it is the goverments way of getting us out of older cars, we have one of the older fleet of vehicles in the world from memory.
ok here is a picture of the rear bar that protrude from the side too much and not pedrestion freindly :bang: if your that close but sorry you have more issues than that, the remedy I have built id a 2" pipe cut in Half with a cap then I will weld that to the flat so it pushes them away .........................
will call into the garage on my way to work to check the wof man is happy with what I have done

downsy
02-24-2019, 07:41 PM
We just call it a vehicle inspection here and we do it annually no matter the age. "classic" vehicles that are older than 25 years old fi you get the antique vehicle tags, only need one every 5 years I think but you are also by law limited by what you can use it for usually maintenance or going to events and what not. No matter the age if you have a normal registration you have to get inspected annually but the inspection is a joke, at least in Texas anyway.

cj4a nz
02-26-2019, 02:54 AM
WHAHOO got me wof sticker on the way to work this morning, the mechanic said he had had 1 wof audit in the last 5 years then 3 in the last 3 months thats why he was being carefull, I thought as much
have booked my daily in for a wof there next tuesday.......................

off camping this week using the jeep to get there and back, she needs a run buut now the central locking and windows don't work hope its just a fuse somewhere ......

denverd1
02-26-2019, 11:14 AM
WHAHOO got me wof sticker on the way to work this morning, the mechanic said he had had 1 wof audit in the last 5 years then 3 in the last 3 months thats why he was being carefull, I thought as much
have booked my daily in for a wof there next tuesday.......................

off camping this week using the jeep to get there and back, she needs a run buut now the central locking and windows don't work hope its just a fuse somewhere ......

congrats! Every 6 months?? that's some bullshat, at least you got it done.

4.3LXJ
02-26-2019, 11:36 AM
Always something on these Jeeps, that is if you use them

denverd1
02-26-2019, 02:11 PM
Always something on these Jeeps, that is if you use them

I agree completely. just couldn't handle big brother looking over my shoulder all the time. guess I would get more work done on it tho, like get the headlights back on and taillights repaired so I can get it inspected for Arkansas ride in 10 days... :crazy:

cj4a nz
02-27-2019, 12:15 AM
I think someone could be giving me a dig in the ribs ............

yes I do agree about it being used am going to join a club this year as I doing less on call work this year more me time :D

how to find the bl^%#y fuse the workshop manual sitting beside me and have pulled the fuse box cover off but can't se the fuse marked windows.. My Google here I come :bang:

4.3LXJ
02-27-2019, 01:30 AM
ZJs have a fuse panel in the side of the dash. Passenger side for us. Late ZJs had them behind the glove box

cj4a nz
03-03-2019, 12:21 AM
Cheers Steve, I know where it lives and it is right by the accelerator pedal, I have removed each fuse and checked it.a shit of a place to access and too low for wading thru our rivers here.
Comming home this afternoon we found the passengers window works so Am now at the conclusing the drivers maser switch has packed a sad and taken out the central locking switch out as well.
will be removing the drivers door panel this week , once the daily gets a wof with a clean bill of health on Tuesday............

4.3LXJ
03-03-2019, 11:13 AM
Glad to hear you are getting ahead of it. If it wasn't so far away, I could send you a new one off a ZJ we are scrappping

cj4a nz
03-06-2019, 02:23 AM
well the daily failed it wof on a couple of issue, front brake pads worn took them out tonight about 3-4mm of wear a good 5 to go....:mad:
rear brake hose needs replacing, well it's 27 years old, ok had alook tonight cant see f....,.,;l wrong sriously brassed off

as for the jeep the central locking and windows all work from the master switch, next time I see the ecu I bought a while ago I will fit it that could be the issue.... has been nice doing a few kms in her but fuel going up again $2.15 per litre to 2.18 at my 11ltr to the 100ks my weekly fuel bill is growing nealy $100 a week again ..................:sad0147:

I do like the power of 6 cyl vehicles :D

cj4a nz
06-05-2019, 03:17 AM
well not much being done on the Jeep except fill up the radiator as the radiator hose leaking, must fix it one day .................................
getting over the fuel hitting $2.34 per litre now back to $2.22 topped he roff tonight 62 ltrs for 483 kms not that bad for pushing a brick thru the air with the roof rack etc.

did engage low 4wd today to get up my new garage workshop with a load of firewood on my tandem trailer, when I can get the photo loaded you will see

cj4a nz
07-19-2019, 03:41 AM
well shed built and fill of "stuff" and the house finished and our weekend place.
daily driver packed it in managed to get it back to the camp before it completly thru the towel in ..
using the jeep everyday still have a little water leak bottom radiator hose I think seriously lacking in motivation as it's cold and dark when I get home and the shed is 1hr drive away so not practical and just noticed about due for another wof better not fail this time..

4.3LXJ
07-19-2019, 11:36 AM
Good luck on the inspection Warren

cj4a nz
07-22-2019, 05:03 AM
Thanks Steve
have been working on my daily as I can and think the coil pack to 2 &6 has packed up, hard to work out with limited tools and dark whan I get home and no shed to work in and no noise after 7 or 8 pm oh and it been raining and cold, on the + side oneof the guys at waork has the same engine being worked on so Hope to borrow a coil pack off hime to test it

4.3LXJ
07-22-2019, 12:14 PM
It is good to have friends Warren for stuff like that

cj4a nz
09-06-2019, 03:52 AM
well went for my 6 monthly wof and .............. failed:bang:
hand brake has too much travel and doesn't hold really held 2 ton of trailer and limestone on a hill last weekend
couldn't find the rea seat belts.. the seats were flded down wtf :confused:
the roof lining hangng down ............. after they ripped it
front brake pads need replacing hmm been here before with these guys :mad:

fixing it this weekend
and my ute is due for a wof may take it elsewhere :morningcoffee:

and have remembered insurance on both vehicles has run out :rolleyes:

4.3LXJ
09-06-2019, 10:27 AM
Sure glad I don't have that much to be inspected here, even though we do have to pass smog. At least in my county we don't have to put them on the dyno

cj4a nz
09-26-2019, 05:03 AM
well both vehicles woffed and insured :bacondance:
adjusted the handbrake checked the front pads and took photos and unfolded the seats and it passed
the ute was a clean wof but 2 items noted both acceptable by me, leaking shockie and stuffed antiroll bar bushes now on the to be done list will shout it new rear springs as they are original 1992 so don't owe anyone any thing
now as for the leaking bottom hose..... well it aintthe hose it's the radiator, leaks on both sides just below the top tank, once I have the funds will put another new one in but will go plastic not a cheap ali one.
the price of petrol is hovering around $2.25- $2.30 per litre must get a cheaper daily to run around in $100 a week is getting a bit steep then another 40-50 to go up to the house most weekends.

on a positive note the fishing season opens at the start of next month so went a bought a new rod,reel and line combo last weekend

4.3LXJ
09-26-2019, 11:44 AM
I hear ya on the fuel. More expensive in here in CA then any other part of the country

cj4a nz
09-03-2020, 03:38 AM
sorry for the lack of replies and news have been having issues getting on to this site.
well shes on the market and almost back to factory spec but

have another jeep 2014 trailhawk this is NOT getting any mods to many electrical stuff to muck with pictures to come when I can get them to load

4.3LXJ
09-04-2020, 02:11 PM
Glad to hear the ZJ is progressing Warren. Do you still have the CJ4?