PDA

View Full Version : Oil and filter change question

dagod16
10-01-2016, 05:10 PM
So I have been changing my oil and filter every 3,000 for the first 150,000

Then I switch to every 5,000 for the oil and filter.

I now have a filter STP Extended life that says on the box that it is designed for 10,000 miles.

Is it crazy to leave the filter on until the next oil change and just change the oil?

Or maybe change it every 6,000 or 7,000.

What does everyone think?

Thanks

We are at 250,000 miles and still running, onward to 300K

cpttuna
10-01-2016, 07:10 PM
there is no hard set rule. you are given a guide by the manufacturer. I change mine at 1500 miles.(oil and filter). I buy both when they are on sale and do the change myself. These people who go 3000 or 5000 miles. I'm just assuming for arguments sake that if they get a quart low, they put new oil in the dirty. there are plenty of opinions on this subject. bottom line- change your oil and filter. When? it's up to you.

dagod16
10-01-2016, 09:23 PM
You change both at 1500 miles, wow. That's way early I think.

Joliet Johnny
10-02-2016, 09:21 AM
I mostly to "highway" driving in my 99. I switched to synthetic and run K&N filters cause I like that 1in nut on the end. I go 5-6k between. The Renegade that lives next to the XJ reccomends 10k but I change it at 8k. One expensive option is to run royal purple. When its no longer purple change it. That all said you won't harm an engine by changing the oil too much. When I worked for Saturn we had an old lady that changed her oil every 3 months. On 9-11 the only car that came in was hers and she didn't have 200 miles since the last change and the repair order history put the purchase date at 9-11-06. Yes I put that oil in my Fiero that burned a quart a week.

abebehrmann
10-03-2016, 08:00 AM
The best thing for you to do would be to do an oil analysis at your normal oil change interval and see what the laboratory thinks. You'll tell them how many miles and how long you've been using the oil for and they will give you a recommendation on the proper interval for your engine/ driving style. You also get a sort of health report for your engine that can give you hints on if a major problem is coming up.

The old 3k miles per conventional/ 5k miles per synthetic oil change is very conservative, for the most part. If you do the oil analysis, my money would be on them saying you could go at least another few thousand miles before needing to change.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

OrangeXJ
10-03-2016, 09:14 AM
I think its all depends on the type of vehicle, type of driving you do and how many miles is on the engine. I have several different types of vehicles so each one is done at different intervals. My wife drives a 2014 Rave 4 we bought new. Book says every 5000 miles. She drives it 64 miles a day to and from work mostly on freeways so we do it every 5000 miles. Our 07 F150 that has 100k that is not driven much but when it does it's pulling a trailer I change it at 10k miles. The 97 TJ that has about 6000 does not get driven as much as I would like had the motor replaced (rebuild) about 2 years has about 6k ( changed the oil every 1500 twice) now it will get change every 5k. The 06 vette with 62k that had a fresh oil change when I bought ( 2 yr. ago ) it has not been changed yet. The on board information system says it as of now has 35% left on the oil life. I'll change it when it's down to 10% oil life left.

Todays oil and filters are more advanced now then they were back in the 3000 mile days. If my vehicle was driven every day and had over 100k on it I would change it every 5k but would not be afraid to push it to 8k.

But on the flip side of the coin I was told once that oil and filter change is the cheapest thing you can do to pro long engine life. So to each his own.

cpttuna
10-03-2016, 06:52 PM
If you are familiar with the oversized filters, I strongly recommend them instead of the standard filter. You have the option of adding about an extra half quart of oil or having the extra filter capacity.

dagod16
10-04-2016, 10:09 PM
I did uograde the filter from fram. What is an oversize filter?

OrangeXJ
10-05-2016, 06:57 AM
I did uograde the filter from fram. What is an oversize filter?

It has a larger oil capacity. Say your oil and filter change takes 5 qt the larger filter will hold about 1/2 qt more

abebehrmann
10-05-2016, 08:26 AM
The first post on this thread has a chart with the part numbers of the normal sized filters and their over-sized counterparts. Whenever I'm at the parts store buying filters, I google "XJTalk Oversized Oil Filter" so that I can pull up this chart, lol.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=112

dagod16
10-06-2016, 06:16 AM
Way cool. So how much better does it filter dirty out of the oil?

abebehrmann
10-06-2016, 08:11 AM
Way cool. So how much better does it filter dirty out of the oil?

I'd say at best it's marginally better than the comparable normal sized filter. I think the main benefit is the extra oil capacity. They oversized filters are the same price as the smaller ones at all the stores in my area, so I figure I might as well use the larger one.