PDA

View Full Version : JY axle swap question.

Joliet Johnny
09-29-2016, 08:00 AM
I have the Dana 35 currently. I want to go to the Chrysler 8.25. Thought is to find axle in XJ and do the rear disk conversion at the JY. One problem is someone always steals the rear carrier for any XJ that shows up. I plan to regear so can I take any 8.25 carrier and throw it in? I know ill need a shim kit and new bearings. Also is there some lsd or locker that came factory in the 8.25 that I can add? And finally is there a year range that is to be avoided on the XJ 8.25 housing?

4.3LXJ
09-29-2016, 08:38 AM
IIRC if you use 29 spline axles, you have to use a 29 spline carrier

abebehrmann
09-29-2016, 03:51 PM
I have the Dana 35 currently. I want to go to the Chrysler 8.25. Thought is to find axle in XJ and do the rear disk conversion at the JY. One problem is someone always steals the rear carrier for any XJ that shows up. I plan to regear so can I take any 8.25 carrier and throw it in? I know ill need a shim kit and new bearings. Also is there some lsd or locker that came factory in the 8.25 that I can add? And finally is there a year range that is to be avoided on the XJ 8.25 housing?

You'll want the 97+ for the 29 spline shafts.

I wonder why someone is scooping up all the Chrysler 8.25 carriers, seems odd to me.

In any case, if I were you and doing the same thing, I'd just buy a full carrier Eaton Truetrac or Detroit Locker (or even an ARB/OX locker if you've got the cash) if I was going through the trouble of replacing the carrier, they're a lot stronger than the factory carrier.

XJ Wheeler
09-29-2016, 04:27 PM
97-01 for the 29 spline (as mentioned.

There was a factory Lsd option but it seems to be hard to find. Although that could just be me in the land of 2wd's.

The 8.25 doesn't have a carrier break like dana axles so any ratio will work on the stock carrier.

Also consider the ford 8.8. A bit of modification with spring perches and shock mounts but you can find them with disc brakes, they're slightly stronger than the 8.25, more common in the yard, more aftermarket support, and you may even find the ratio you want from factory (up to 4.10s I believe) to save money on regearing.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Joliet Johnny
10-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Thanks everyone. Snow is my biggest concern so I think a locker will work best in my front axle. Also my welding skill isn't at a point where I would attempt to put in the Ford axle. It seems the Mopar LSD requires maintenance every year or so, people seem happy with the Detroit LSD. If I find a Mopar one Ill take it. And yes its very strange that someone always takes to carriers out. Also I can only seem to find 1996 or 2001 in the pick n pulls around here, always a front hit.