PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearings

worknprogress
09-26-2016, 09:27 AM
So I feel like a dumb dumb my jeep developed a pretty violent shake and clunking in the front left wheel. Without stopping to inspect I proceeded to drive it home. The lug nuts were all about to fall off and my wheel lug holes were destroyed. I assume its a bad bearing but not sure. With that being said I also noticed the grooves of the axle are visible behind the break guard. What Does that mean?

4.3LXJ
09-26-2016, 10:54 AM
Sounds like your lug nuts were not tight enough to start.

abebehrmann
09-26-2016, 11:17 AM
So I feel like a dumb dumb my jeep developed a pretty violent shake and clunking in the front left wheel. Without stopping to inspect I proceeded to drive it home. The lug nuts were all about to fall off and my wheel lug holes were destroyed. I assume its a bad bearing but not sure. With that being said I also noticed the grooves of the axle are visible behind the break guard. What Does that mean?

I agree with Steve, it sounds like your lug nuts were loose but you may need to either replace the whole hub assembly or replace the studs as I bet the threads are pretty chewed up from it.

I'm not sure what you mean by the grooves of the axle being visible behind the brake guard. Do you have a pic of this?

worknprogress
09-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Well I should of said in my post that it had 1.5in spacers on, going 5x4.5 to 5x5., I assume they were incorrectly installed, by me!! The old lugs I used to mount the wheel to spacer. And the lugs that came with spacer. To mount spacer to hub. I went and got new lugs and stuff, put on my old wheels/tires (w/o spacers ), and it drove like crap cuz 2 tires are toast. But no bearing, hub or axle problems. I got away with one here. Thanks for your posts. I think I have learned my lesson.