PDA

View Full Version : Replaced front and backe breaks but still had to stop

greenchevy
11-29-2009, 11:31 AM
I replaced my front and rear brakes because for the last few months its been real had to stop. For the rear i replaced the springs too. I took it to a brake shop and they said that the springs were warn and not adjusting right. With all that changed it helped alot but when pushing the brakes it slows down but to get it to stop completely you have to give it that extra push. I have no idea at this point :hmmmm2:. I was told that it maybe the rotors need to be turned? Also i was told that it could be air in the brake system But i have never had it open before. Also was told that the brake fluid is bad that it doesn't hold up when hot. I've never had the brake fluid changed ever.Was told that maybe the brake lines are bad. I got it 4 years ago and from the looks of the lady i got it from she didn't do much of anything. It has 377,000 miles. The brake fluid is really black but unsure. I'm going to have my rotors turn sometime this week but i dough that's the true problem.

Mudderoy
11-29-2009, 12:42 PM
How many miles on the vehicle?

(If you update your vehicle information many of these type of questions will be answered and you may get a quicker resolution.)

I just found out recently that you should change the brake fluid. I believe they have a kit for this. I would be surprised that changing the fluid alone would resolve your issue. Calipers would be fairly cheap and easy to replace. Stainless steel brake lines would have less expansion and better braking force.

You can update your information by clicking on User CP > Edit Your Details, or clicking here :link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/profile.php?do=editprofile)

BlueXJ
11-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Have the fluid flushed out and replaced. It should not ever be black. You may want to replace the rubber flex hoses as well. They are part of why your fluid is black.

muddeprived
11-30-2009, 06:55 PM
It's been said that brake fluid absorbs moisture over time and you gotta change the fluid every few years. Considering the mileage you have and that it's probably stock fluid, it would be wise to flush the system and bleed it as well. Just because the system has never been "open" doesn't mean there's no air or moisture in there.

cheap jeep
12-01-2009, 05:49 PM
I have read before that brake fluid draws moisture and should be changed every 2 yrs

kryptonitexj
12-01-2009, 07:35 PM
If ur looking for a good upgrade i have heard that 1996 and
newer have a dual diafram brake booster everything before
has a single. Give it a quick google search. This is one upgrade
thats on my todo list as i have a 1991.

Logans91XJ
12-04-2009, 04:31 PM
I just did a major brake overhaul about two months ago and it made a huge difference!!

I replaced
Calipers
Rotors
Pads
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Brand New Fluid

Also make sure your calipers are put on correctly I actually installed mine upside down and make sure the Bleeder Screw is towards the top.. LOL
Start by bleeding your rear brakes then make your way forward. Always checking the master cylinder to make sure it stays full! Pump the brake pedal 3 times. While its being held down open the bleeder screw then close to keep out any air, then release the brake pedal. With the help from my dad this went really quickly and my brakes feel amazing!

alwaysxj
12-07-2009, 04:31 PM
all i have to say is wow if those miles are right. wow.

Logans91XJ
12-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Not to sound rude but you might wanna proof read your posting and also fix all the grammar and spelling! It would really help out the rest of us on this forum when reading through it.
Cheers

Mudderoy
12-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Not to sound rude but you might wanna proof read your posting and also fix all the grammar and spelling! It would really help out the rest of us on this forum when reading through it.
Cheers

wow... :smiley-laughing021:

greenchevy
12-09-2009, 01:02 AM