PDA

View Full Version : ATK Stroker?

ezbuzzsaw
08-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Has anyone on here done a Pre 1999 ATK Stroker in their XJ? I have one of my favorite XJ's (1992) down and out now (bad knock) and want to get her back on the road. She has the frame stiffeners and OME suspension and I miss driving her daily. I am in a 2001 now and it is nice but has a cheap lift and is just not my baby!

abebehrmann
08-17-2016, 11:15 AM
I have no experience with this, but a friend of mine recently bought a rebuilt AMC 258 (4.2L) from ATK for his CJ7. The first one he got had a problem with it; a ton of coolant was getting into the oil pan and it wasn't a problem with the head gasket. They ended up sending out a new one after having him do some troubleshooting but he still wasted a lot of time and effort installing the engine twice and he wasn't compensated in any way for this time. I know this isn't really what you asked for, I just figured I would share my friend's experience with his ATK engine.

bluedragon436
08-18-2016, 04:48 PM
I have no experience with this, but a friend of mine recently bought a rebuilt AMC 258 (4.2L) from ATK for his CJ7. The first one he got had a problem with it; a ton of coolant was getting into the oil pan and it wasn't a problem with the head gasket. They ended up sending out a new one after having him do some troubleshooting but he still wasted a lot of time and effort installing the engine twice and he wasn't compensated in any way for this time. I know this isn't really what you asked for, I just figured I would share my friend's experience with his ATK engine.

Ouch... that sucks to hear... At least with the CJ it is a bit easier to swap the engine out then it is to with the XJ... The CJ you can at least take the fenders, hood and grill off to make it a bit easier.. but still a massive PITA to have to do twice especially for no reason due to manufacturer issues... At least they took care of it for him though...