PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate woes

harleyd74
07-12-2016, 03:58 PM
Hey gang, Harley here with a problem that I don't really want to just throw parts at. Got a 97 XJ 4.0 a desert rat from Reno, out a couple weekends ago gettin dusty. Brought it back to base and stopped of for a quick bath at the local spray wash and like a dummy with it running lifted the hood and just knocked the dust off the engine. Took it to work the next day started no problem 56 degree's outside made it to the first light and it died. Played heck getting it started had to push accelerator almost to the floor it finally fired and I proceeded. Drove home after work no problems, next day made to the second light and it repeated same. Made it home fine so I let it sit till this last Saturday with the hood up in the sun, drove it around all Sat. morning no problems, took it to work Monday ran great left work and didn't even get it out of the parking lot stopped and it wanted to die but I kept it going, I do notice when it's acting up it shifts from OD to 3rd a lot while going down the freeway. No check engine light. Any thought's???:banghead:

Mudderoy
07-12-2016, 09:20 PM
I'd say TPS sensor, but I'd check the codes first.

Hey gang, Harley here with a problem that I don't really want to just throw parts at. Got a 97 XJ 4.0 a desert rat from Reno, out a couple weekends ago gettin dusty. Brought it back to base and stopped of for a quick bath at the local spray wash and like a dummy with it running lifted the hood and just knocked the dust off the engine. Took it to work the next day started no problem 56 degree's outside made it to the first light and it died. Played heck getting it started had to push accelerator almost to the floor it finally fired and I proceeded. Drove home after work no problems, next day made to the second light and it repeated same. Made it home fine so I let it sit till this last Saturday with the hood up in the sun, drove it around all Sat. morning no problems, took it to work Monday ran great left work and didn't even get it out of the parking lot stopped and it wanted to die but I kept it going, I do notice when it's acting up it shifts from OD to 3rd a lot while going down the freeway. No check engine light. Any thought's???:banghead:

harleyd74
07-13-2016, 08:21 AM
Thank you Mudderoy, I did check the codes and it came up with 12 "just put a new battery in a couple months ago" and 55 "end of codes", I will try the TPS this weekend and let you know if that cured it. Thanks again, Harley...:pray:

XJ Wheeler
07-13-2016, 07:35 PM
I agree on the tps. My brother had a similar problem with his 90 wanting to stall, unless you let it sit and warm up before moving. Always cranked right back up too. Tps fixed it. These things can be hard to track too because everything's normal until it happens so nothings shows up.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

harleyd74
07-14-2016, 09:50 AM
Thanks XJ Wheeler!!!

Mudderoy
07-14-2016, 12:57 PM
Thank you Mudderoy, I did check the codes and it came up with 12 "just put a new battery in a couple months ago" and 55 "end of codes", I will try the TPS this weekend and let you know if that cured it. Thanks again, Harley...:pray:

Battery or power to the ECM disconnected in the last 50 key cycles.

Really you haven't have 50 key cycles yet?

harleyd74
07-14-2016, 02:37 PM
It's probably getting close, but I only drive it when I go to the desert or rain and snow. I done the easy part of the Rubicon's once. Due to having Super Swampers on it they aren't the best for wearability on asphalt. Plus I have too many vehicle's as it is. I'm really loved by State Farm...

harleyd74
07-22-2016, 10:08 AM
Happy Friday all,

Update. I changed the T.P.S. as suggested and have driven it all week without so much as a hiccup, you guy's are awesome have a great weekend and ride on, Harley...:xj-blue:

bluedragon436
07-26-2016, 05:01 AM
Happy Friday all,

Update. I changed the T.P.S. as suggested and have driven it all week without so much as a hiccup, you guy's are awesome have a great weekend and ride on, Harley...:xj-blue:

Glad the TPS seems to have fixed your issue... Hope it keeps going smoothly for ya!!

harleyd74
08-25-2016, 08:56 AM
Update, it's been running great for the last month or so, but now it wants to die as soon as I depress the accelerator only when it's hot (warmed up). PCM? Any suggestions?
:bang: Back to this...

harleyd74
08-25-2016, 08:57 AM
Still no CEL. 55 is the code...

4.3LXJ
08-25-2016, 09:19 AM
When was the last time the O2 sensor was changed?

prerunner1982
08-25-2016, 09:34 AM
I have nothing to add, but forum won't let me delete my post. :jail:

harleyd74
08-25-2016, 10:04 AM
About a year ago...

harleyd74
09-19-2016, 09:55 AM
Finally, it turns out that my problem was a worn out distributor. Changed that the cap, wires, wires, plugs and coil and it runs like a dream once again. So if you have over 220k start there first. Thank you all for your help...

prerunner1982
09-19-2016, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the update, you would be surprised how many problems people have but never come back to update everyone on what fixed it. When others search because they are having the same problem the thread is of no help as it has no definitive answer.