PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer cable still bounces

greenchevy
11-26-2009, 03:30 PM
I got a tube of graphite. Took out the speedo cable and lubed it. Did the same to the little speedo cable that connects to the cluster. With no luck it didn't fix the bouncing. I took it out and re greased it with Motor oil with no luck. Took it out and re greased it with tranny fluid with again no luck of fix. I'm lost. Any ideas? The cable looked great other then it was dry and in need of lube.

Mudderoy
11-26-2009, 04:31 PM
I got a tube of graphite. Took out the speedo cable and lubed it. Did the same to the little speedo cable that connects to the cluster. With no luck it didn't fix the bouncing. I took it out and re greased it with Motor oil with no luck. Took it out and re greased it with tranny fluid with again no luck of fix. I'm lost. Any ideas? The cable looked great other then it was dry and in need of lube.

I wonder if you have a speedo gear problem.

YellowSub2000
11-26-2009, 04:44 PM
My Speedo bounces also. Would love to find a fix for this.

greenchevy
11-26-2009, 04:55 PM
yep lost as can be:hmmmm2: i read some where about connecting a drill to one end of the speedo where it connects to the tranny. What does this do?I was told it could be my speedometer gear? How can i find out if it was my speedometer gear?

greenchevy
11-26-2009, 05:52 PM
I was talking to a tech online and he told me that the cable may have be a bit of stretch in the inner drive cable. He said that if i replace both the short cable connected to the dash and the long cable that my problem should be solved?:smiley-gen165: Does this should right?:hmmmm2: Where can i buy the little cable?I know autozone sells universal cables but i don't think they have the first part of the cable which is short and doesn't come apart.

4.3LXJ
11-26-2009, 06:32 PM
If the cable is fine and lubed, then it probably is the speedo. Not hard to change out. That cluster comes apart easily.

greenchevy
11-26-2009, 06:39 PM
How would i go about changing it? Would i change the whole cluster of just the speedometer? can i take out just the speedometer?

BlueXJ
11-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Quicker to change the whole cluster. Check the speedo gear in the transfercase first. IIRC it is held by a 10mm bolt to remove the clamp then the gear slides right out. They are nylon and can be easily damaged.

tbone
11-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Just an idea to try, I had this problem on a rod I built, I took the cable out of the tranny and turned the cable backwards till it stoped and then reinstalled it and took care of the bouncing problem. Just a thought before you spend money. :patriot:

greenchevy
11-29-2009, 11:34 AM
I think that the cable is worn. The lubed helped. Its shakes till it hits 30 mph.I'm going to change out the cable. Should i change it with an OEM or an universal one that has to be cut to fit?

alwaysxj
12-10-2009, 12:26 PM
first is the jeep lifted or stock? i had this problem in my 94 i was running 32s so i replaced the gear back to stock and it worked great.

greenchevy
12-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Stock but I'm going to change the cable and see what happens.