PDA

View Full Version : Wonky no start issue

nickyg
06-30-2016, 03:05 PM
I started my jeep, pulled out of the driveway. remembered I forgot my phone. Shut the jeep off. Retrieved my phone, Turned the key to start the Jeep up and ---NOTHING--- No click or anything. I then went to put t in neutral and the shifter wouldn't move. turned the key back to off. tried again... Nothing But Now I can move the shifter into neutral. Tried again and it started.. but only if I give it about 1/4 throttle. It would stay running if I held a little gas. After about of 10 minutes of running it like this is settled down into a nice idle. I turned it off. and tried again. It fired right up like nothing was ever wrong.

Battery is about 3 years old
alt is about 1 year old and throwing out 14 volts.
Any ideas?

Mudderoy
06-30-2016, 09:16 PM
I started my jeep, pulled out of the driveway. remembered I forgot my phone. Shut the jeep off. Retrieved my phone, Turned the key to start the Jeep up and ---NOTHING--- No click or anything. I then went to put t in neutral and the shifter wouldn't move. turned the key back to off. tried again... Nothing But Now I can move the shifter into neutral. Tried again and it started.. but only if I give it about 1/4 throttle. It would stay running if I held a little gas. After about of 10 minutes of running it like this is settled down into a nice idle. I turned it off. and tried again. It fired right up like nothing was ever wrong.

Battery is about 3 years old
alt is about 1 year old and throwing out 14 volts.
Any ideas?

TPS went out on the 99. It would only run if I gave it a little gas. If you can't get the shifter out of park that means the brake switch wasn't disengaged. Hmm trying to remember I know you have to press the brake petal to get it out of park when its running.

nickyg
06-30-2016, 09:27 PM
When I pressed the brake I can hear the click in the shifter. Is the brake switch electrical or mechanical? I've spent the past few hours skimming the forums and it seems to indicate a battery/power issue. This is the battery I drove 14 miles with my Noco genus boost hooked up to it. I think I might've cut a few starts off it's life. I'm gonna check the cables and load test the battery tomorrow to eliminate that.
It's a fairly new TPS. But easy enough to test with a multi meter.
I'll post what I find.

It only did it once. making it hard to track down.

cantab27
06-30-2016, 11:53 PM
tinfoil.............

nickyg
07-02-2016, 12:50 AM
Well the TPS tested good and according to my harbor tool and freight battery tester the battery is kinda good. ( A lil on the low side under load) and the problem has not reoccurred and the glove box is nearly full of tin foil.

UGG!!!! GREMLINS!!!

4.3LXJ
07-02-2016, 01:18 AM
Ugghh Nicky. The tin foil goes around the ECM :D

Mudderoy
07-02-2016, 07:59 AM
When I pressed the brake I can hear the click in the shifter. Is the brake switch electrical or mechanical? I've spent the past few hours skimming the forums and it seems to indicate a battery/power issue. This is the battery I drove 14 miles with my Noco genus boost hooked up to it. I think I might've cut a few starts off it's life. I'm gonna check the cables and load test the battery tomorrow to eliminate that.
It's a fairly new TPS. But easy enough to test with a multi meter.
I'll post what I find.

It only did it once. making it hard to track down.

It is electrical and mechanical. Look under your dash in front of the bar that goes down to where you press the brake.

nickyg
07-02-2016, 04:54 PM
It is electrical and mechanical. Look under your dash in front of the bar that goes down to where you press the brake.

I looked down at where I press the brake and all I seen was a foot.. further past that was a bunch of french fries.

Mudderoy
07-03-2016, 02:05 AM
I looked down at where I press the brake and all I seen was a foot.. further past that was a bunch of french fries.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7207/6861651962_f73aa47a36_z.jpg

nickyg
07-03-2016, 07:31 AM
Thanks.