PDA

View Full Version : Added a WJ to the fleet!

Dredwolf
06-26-2016, 09:04 PM
Yes, I know I posted some of this elsewhere....but I figured the GC section needed something.

I was in need of a daily driver, something that could haul my tools and equipment for work, but was nice enough the wife and I could run to dinner in it. Nice XJ's were hard to find and $$, so I started looking at WJ's. Sold a GMC conversion van we no longer needed, and came home with a WJ one Thursday night.

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/2003%20WJ/20160625_173512_zpsnb4rvddf.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/2003%20WJ/20160625_173526_zpsmwyodzyx.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/2003%20WJ/20160625_173559_zps9wrbiixn.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/2003%20WJ/20160625_173543_zpszkldp7t1.jpg

Since this will be a DD vehicle, going through all the quirks is first on the list.

Dredwolf
06-26-2016, 09:39 PM
Okay, first things first.

Today, 06/26/2016, front and rear brakes, parking brakes adjusted. Changed oil with my "flush the engine" version....cheap Walmart oil and a Fram TG filter. I'll change it again in a month, and move to an extended life conventional oil, or a blend. Full synthetic just finds all your oil seals.

Tires are good for another month, then rotate.

Getting a new windshield installed 06/27.

Need to solve the need for a washer reservoir bottle, low coolant sensor, ambient air temp sensor, and blend door repair.

Replace headlights, lousy polishing job by PO looks stupid.

bluedragon436
06-27-2016, 11:07 AM
Looks clean John...Was thinking about finding a decent shape WJ once I get back down to SC.. Was actually looking for one, when I had to give up my 98 XJ due to divorce... but was unable to find one that wasn't either trashed, a 4.0, or apparently made out of solid gold.... But yeah, wouldn't mind finding one and do a decent small lift... wouldn't be looking to go over 33's, or do any hardcore wheeling or anything with the WJ.. What plans you got for it once you take care of the quirks??

Dredwolf
06-27-2016, 08:44 PM
Looks clean John...Was thinking about finding a decent shape WJ once I get back down to SC.. Was actually looking for one, when I had to give up my 98 XJ due to divorce... but was unable to find one that wasn't either trashed, a 4.0, or apparently made out of solid gold.... But yeah, wouldn't mind finding one and do a decent small lift... wouldn't be looking to go over 33's, or do any hardcore wheeling or anything with the WJ.. What plans you got for it once you take care of the quirks??

The wife and I want to make another trip out west, but unless we win the lottery, we are not towing my XJ out there, and her Explorer is nudging 215K miles. We need another vehicle to make another trip.

By this WJ being "what Dad needs to pay the bills", I might get more cooperation in being left alone to work on it, but any improvements have to possible to complete between Friday and Monday, and not kill my ability to use it as a daily driver.

So a mild lift, some underbody armor, recovery points, trans cooling, subtle auxiliary lighting, and tires 1-2 sizes over stock, and I think we'll be done.

Moog makes the front and rear coils that match the Overland package suspension with the v-8, figure those will gain me 1-1.5 of lift. Stock tires are 225/75-16's, I'll see what 245s will look like. Transfer case skids have several options, not so much for the fuel tank. We'll see how it goes.

Dredwolf
06-27-2016, 08:57 PM
For today: 06/27

Got windshield replaced by small local company, on purpose.

Only had one key, avoided local Jeep dealer with poor rep and went to local locksmith to have copy of transponder key made...will have same locksmith encode 1st replacement key fob, will try to Amazon the 2nd and program myself.

Picked up some replacement plastic nuts for the new license plate, and a new oil fill cap, and introduced myself to the weird taillight bulb system on these WJ's changing bulbs.

Got two that the sockets have gotten too hot, so they'll be replaced.

Threw the A/C gauges on the WJ, and added about 8-10oz of the "Artic Freeze" R-134a. I know a lot of people consider the "Artic Freeze" stuff a gimmick, but its worked well for me in 4 different vehicles that "regular" 134 would not last the summer, saving me having to tear down and replace O-rings.

Dredwolf
10-13-2016, 08:28 PM
As I posted elsewhere, I replaced the busted header panel, and straightened the metal work under the driver side front fender.

Tracked down the fasteners and got the driver side cladding secured too. Scored a factory receiver hitch during my last junk yard run, going to try and get that installed soon, already got the replacement plastic rivets to re-install the rear bumper cover.

The fuel tank "brushguard" has some considerable rust under flaking paint, I'll see how bad when I check things out to install the hitch. I was already planning on removing the brush guard and beefing it up, since the factory actual skid plate is over $400, so it may be repair/reinforce.

Closer to having the cash ready for the lift, giving serious thought to the OME coils.

4.3LXJ
10-13-2016, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I think those need a little height

Dredwolf
10-19-2016, 08:34 PM
Yeah, I think those need a little height

From the research, OME coils are the premium pick, with Bilstein 5100 shocks, a good adjustable track bar, extended rear sway bar links, and try to keep it under 3" of lift.

Like always, want it to do well on the trails, and very good on the highway.

bluedragon436
10-20-2016, 06:25 PM
From the research, OME coils are the premium pick, with Bilstein 5100 shocks, a good adjustable track bar, extended rear sway bar links, and try to keep it under 3" of lift.

Like always, want it to do well on the trails, and very good on the highway.

The DubJay's look pretty good even with only 3" of lift and some nice aggressive looking tires... Wish I had been able to find one to build up when I was looking for a new Jeep after loosing the 98 XJ..

Dredwolf
10-20-2016, 07:36 PM
I have been happy with what I got for the $$ spent. The WJ is close to the '03 Explorer in room inside for passenger and driver, surprisingly capable off-road with all-season tires, and the 4.0 in this WJ is surprisingly responsive, even on the interstate.

So many of the v-8 WJ's had lots of engine noise, or severe leaks, or oil dipsticks that looked like they had been dipped in fudge and baked. I know this WJ has the questionable 35 rear axle, but the solutions can be expensive.

I have a rig to spend $$$ on, this one needs to work M-F, and not make me empty every pocket.

4.3LXJ
10-20-2016, 09:43 PM
One thing I have picked up on the V8 engines is that they require really good maintenance. They have close tolerances in them and if they get hot or crappy oil they go south quickly

Dredwolf
10-20-2016, 10:57 PM
One thing I have picked up on the V8 engines is that they require really good maintenance. They have close tolerances in them and if they get hot or crappy oil they go south quickly

Noticed that as well, and so many of these WJ's got second lives as SUV's for the teenagers, the engines got ruined...

"I never look at those dash things, I don't know what any of that means..."

Overheard being said by a college-age male-gendered being....:bang:

Wife has already said that if we can find a solid, clean Limited or Overland, we should get it for her when the '03 Explorer finally runs down.

4.3LXJ
10-20-2016, 10:59 PM
I will be looking for one for the wife too

Dredwolf
10-21-2016, 07:15 PM
I will be looking for one for the wife too

http://www.wjjeeps.com/

Solid resource with a lot of data, down to the panel clips needed to attach the door panels to the doors.

4.3LXJ
10-21-2016, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the info.