PDA

View Full Version : How not to spend a Tuesday

xjjeepthing
11-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Came home for lunch and walked in the house to a very strong gas smell. Called Nipsco (gas company) they sent someone right out. The main line feeding the house broke and was leaking under ground right next to the foundation, the basement was full of natural gas, the result was evacuation of the neighbor hood,fire dept,police dept. and utilities company. Took 3 hours for the gas to get down to safe levels and the neighbors could come back home. It was 1:15 am before we had power and gas back and could stay in the house. The dirt along the house was contaminated with gas and had to be removed and new dirt brought in. also the electrical service was old and out of date and they wouldn't turn the power back on till it updated as well. After it was all done was told there was 2.5 percent gas in the basement 3.5 to 4 is instant explosion. Finally got to bed at 3:30 am. One hell of a long day. So today Nipsco is coming to look at my yard and driveway and figure out what they need to repair. The gas line ran under the driveway and through the yard. Also been raining for the last 12 hours. So lots of mud and muck, great for the Jeep bad for the wifes car. LOL
But we are all safe and sound and the house is safe.
http://www.thepilotnews.com/content/view/138496/1/

Mudderoy
11-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Stuff like this just piss me off. This isn't like a power line down, we're talking about something that not only could have killed an entire family, but removed your house from the face of the planet.

Interesting that the dirt had to be removed. I wouldn't have thought that a gas in dirt would be a problem.

alwaysxj
11-25-2009, 12:05 PM
man you are luck this same thing happen to some people that live in my area. they had a gas leak and they called the gas company and they told them that it needed to be fixed right away and they gave them a price well like a dumbs *** they said they will fixe it them selfs. well later that day they were sitting their and their house blew up. their was two people in the house at the time one in the down stairs and one in the up stairs. when the house blew up it through the person in the up stairs through the bricks and in two the feild 2 hundred yards from the house and the person in the down stars it barried them in the house. the house was all brick and it blew brick half a mile the house is nothing but a hole in the ground now. the people that owned the house was a older couple that were away on a LDS mission so their kids were living their taking care of the house. the house was paid for so they did not have all that much coverage on the house so they have a total loss they will not get any money to rebuild. luckly no one was hurt badly. i think you should concider your self lucky.

alwaysxj
11-25-2009, 12:54 PM
here is a link of what happen.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=8421140

xjjeepthing
11-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Luckily it was on there pipe and not mine, so its no cost to me. Since the dirt was right against the foundation it was allowing gas back the house as it evaporated out. once removed the gas counts went to Zero

DETOURS
11-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Glad everythings kool!!

Melissa
11-25-2009, 02:40 PM
WOW.................that is scary, glad everything is ok!!

Mudderoy
11-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Their pipe, that's great news. The next question I would ask is "What do I do to keep this from happening again?"

xjjeepthing
11-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Well all the pipe and connections from the main in the street to the house as wellmeter have been replaced.

BlueXJ
11-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Glad you found it when you did. Also glad everyone is safe. That could have been a bad way to go. That is why I have no gas in my house, all electric.

2000XJ
11-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Wow, you guys are really lucky to have found that before it got to the next level, which from the sounds of it, would've involved a "kabooom". Glad that you and the family are OK and safe.

xjjeepthing
11-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks everybody. it was indeed a scary situation.