PDA

View Full Version : Computer Crash

Mudderoy
11-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Recently I started having problems with my older socket 939 motherboard. The primary drive had issues. It was acting funny. I was able to get WinXP Pro reloaded on it. I didn't do a fresh install, just a repair. Basically this reloads WinXP Pro from the CD but leaves the registry and information on the hard drive intact. Programs, data, anything but Windows.

A couple of days later it failed again, hard. I tried booting the CD to windows command prompt and running CHKDSK, but it was taking literally hours to check any of the three SATA 2 drives.

After trying a few more things I finally decided that the motherboard must be the issue. I looked and a few of the large electrolitic capacitators tops were puffed up and out. This usually means they have changed their values, which can mean more AC ripple or timing issues, depending on what they are being used for. I have seen this effect memory in the past. If you clocked down the memory speed it would work, for example.

So even though I really didn't want to spend the money my system was dead and I just can't be without my desktop computer. I looked and even though it was more than I wanted to spend I got (what I found out later) was the top of the line Gigabyte motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P). It supports AM2, AM2+ and AM3 processors. I had a spare AMD X2 4200+ processor so really all I needed was a motherboard and memory.

I purchased the motherboard and 2 sticks of DDR2 Kingston (my first time to buy Kingston) 2GB, for a total of 4GB. I ordered from NewEgg. I think it was $220 for both. I got it installed and about an hour of work I was able to get windows back up. According to SmartDrive I had the limit of correctable errors on my 2003 300GB SATA 2 primary drive, so I cloned my primary drive to my newer 500GB SATA 2. I was hoping to use that drive on the xjtalk server, but oh well.

So now my computer is fat dumb and happy, but not so it's master. I was poking around on Newegg last week and I saw that they had a AM2 processor, AMD X2 6000+, for $54! OMG! I couldn't let that go buy. That would be such a boost to my system's performance. While thinking of controling myself, I decided to look at the processor I really wanted a Phenom. Quad core, but $180. I don't like spending more than $100 on a system componet. If it isn't $100 (or less) it will be soon. So I noticed the 3 core Phenoms and the 2 cord Phenoms. I thought it would be nice to have a current technology processor, even if it was a dual core.

(A core is a CPU - Central Processing Unit. The BRAIN of the computer. Actually I call the core the computer, because without the CORE nothing will happen! So when I saw 2, 3, or 4 cores I'm speaking of the number of CPUs inside the single case.)

At $102 for the Phenom II X2 550 black edition it met my $100 requirement and my wish for more current technology. I ordered it and waited.

The delivery date was Monday (yesterday) so in anticipation of receiving the new processor (processors actually - multiple cores) I was reading some of the reviews of the processor on Newegg.

They have Pros, Cons, and Other. One person wrote until the "Pros" that he was able to unlock the two additional cores. WHAT?!?!?! A quick Google search and I found out that the 2 core (X2) processor I had ordered actually was manufactured as a quad core (X4) and had 2 cores disabled. It was explained that the 2 cores didn't pass quality assurance, so they were disabled, and the processor labeled and priced as a dual core. From all that I read the vast majority of these processors was easy unlocked and used as quad core processors, that are $50 to $80 more expensive.

What I needed was a motherboard that supported the software (BIOS) used to unlock the two additional cores. Yep, you guessed it that high end Gigabyte motherboard was one of them. From what I read it was the preferred motherboard by many for this mod.

I downloaded the latest BIOS from Gigabyte, updated the motherboard with this software. I put the new Phenom II processor in and made two simple changes in the BIOS and booted WinXP Pro.

Using CPUZ I was happy to see...

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/phenomii1.jpg

Bottom right, Cores [ 4 ]. Wow I was excited. It looked good. I ran a quick Prime95 test. It was stable for the few minutes that I ran it. I decided that a game of "Left 4 Dead" would be a more interesting stress test. :smiley-laughing021: So for the next hour I tested the system.

Now this isn't the icing on the cake. It seems that this processor labeled to run as a 3.1 GHz processor can easily be overclocked to 3.7, 3.8 GHz, and with the proper cooling up to 4.0 GHz. 4 cores running at 4.0 GHz! For $100! Wow!

I normally monitor the CPU usage by running taskmanger and minimizing it. You'll see it in the taskbar tray as a little box with green and black. The Green tells you, graphically, how much CPU you are using. 0 to 100%.

I was running Sun Virtualbox (running a Linux virtual system) watching HDTV via my internal TV tuner card and I would barely see a line of green in the CPU usage graphic.

As soon as I find a good program that can monitor the CPU core temperature I will try overclocking the processors to 3.7, 3.8 GHz.

Now I have read that about 70% of the phenom ii x2 550 black edition tested were able to have the additional cores unlocked. So if you want a quad core processor I'd buy a quad core processor. I looked at it this way. I thought I was getting a dual core processor and if that was all it could do, fine.

Here is the processor, the information on the face may help you if you try this path with your own build.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/phenomii.jpg

Additional Observations: This processor picture (just above) was taken on a Nikon D300 camera. We have it set to take pictures in the highest res Nikon format images. Once the picture is taken (12 MB) I convert it to JPEG and then edit it in one of my photo editors. The one I use doesn't edit Nikon format files. I use ViewNX to convert the picture(s) to JPEG. When I went to convert 3 pictures, it was nearly instatainous! This would have normally taken about 30 seconds before. So there was at least a 10 fold increase in pure calculation from a AMD 4200+ to the AMD Phenom II X2 3.1 GHz processor.

Melissa
11-24-2009, 10:32 PM
You want to fly on over here and fix mine?? :D

Mudderoy
11-24-2009, 11:48 PM
You want to fly on over here and fix mine?? :D

Cheaper to buy a new one, isn't it?

Melissa
11-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Cheaper to buy a new one, isn't it?

Yup, it is, but then I have to download all my stuff and goodies on the new one :smiley-scared002:

Mudderoy
11-25-2009, 01:18 AM
Most computers have the ability to run PATA drives as well as SATA drives. You should be able to take your old drive and set it up as a secondary drive. You could then copy stuff over as needed.

Thumb drives are very cheap, and your old computer probably has a USB port. You could copy your data to the thumb drive. DVD burners are about $40 now, so if your old computer doesn't already have one you could install one and copy the data to the DVD, that's 4.7 GB on a single layer disk.

You could also just buy a $40 switch and network the two computers together. Share the C: drive on your old computer and as you need stuff you could just copy it across the network.

They also make USB hard drive enclousures. You take your old hard drive and put it in the enclosure (case) and plug it in the usb port of your new computer. You copy the files that you need.

It's never a good idea to try and copy programs over. Just re-install them, so really the only thing you need to copy over is data, like Word documents, e-mail, etc... Chances are good that all your data would fit on a single DVD. 4.7 GB of data is a lot of data.

If you are worried about moving movies or music then that can certainly run in the range that would span multiple DVDs. The network idea might be the best for that. You could actually leave them on the old computer and play them across the network.

Melissa
11-25-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm just a worry wart, I do have my entire life saved on a zip drive just in case, and I do have a newer hp computer sitting here waiting for me to hook it all up, but I hate change and I am really comfortable with the computer I've had for the last 6 or so years, even when I cuss it now and then.

This is what I have, I don't know how old it is, but I can say is way newer than the one I have

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00039169&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=364757

What do you think??

Melissa
11-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Mudderoy, you need to start a site called computers for dummies, and charge a member fee and answer all my questions, I'd feel better if you charged me for all the answers you have given me.

DETOURS
11-25-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm in! :smiley-scared002:

Mudderoy
11-25-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm just a worry wart, I do have my entire life saved on a zip drive just in case, and I do have a newer hp computer sitting here waiting for me to hook it all up, but I hate change and I am really comfortable with the computer I've had for the last 6 or so years, even when I cuss it now and then.

This is what I have, I don't know how old it is, but I can say is way newer than the one I have

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00039169&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=364757

What do you think??

It's an older computer, at least technology wise. Maybe 5 years old?

Mudderoy
11-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Mudderoy, you need to start a site called computers for dummies, and charge a member fee and answer all my questions, I'd feel better if you charged me for all the answers you have given me.

I was doing that for free. www.muccs.com, no one ever came. lol

BlueXJ
11-25-2009, 11:47 PM
My hard drive recently crashed and my motherboard is not very modern so I lost some of my original capabilities but it is being my spare for the time being. I am using my laptop and finally trying to teach myself not to hate it. Today my printer took a crap and shot out a strip of film and an outstretched spring. Oh well it was 4 years old and never was turned off except when we were w/o power during a hurricane.
If it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all.................or the saying is something like that.

Mudderoy
11-26-2009, 12:39 AM
My hard drive recently crashed and my motherboard is not very modern so I lost some of my original capabilities but it is being my spare for the time being. I am using my laptop and finally trying to teach myself not to hate it. Today my printer took a crap and shot out a strip of film and an outstretched spring. Oh well it was 4 years old and never was turned off except when we were w/o power during a hurricane.
If it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all.................or the saying is something like that.

Most laptops have the ability to hook up an external monitor, keyboard and mouse. This takes much of the discomfort of using a laptop.

toebee97
05-13-2010, 06:50 AM
I looked and a few of the large electrolitic capacitators tops were puffed up and out. This usually means they have changed their values, which can mean more AC ripple or timing issues, depending on what they are being used for. I have seen this effect memory in the past. If you clocked down the memory speed it would work, for example.

Most MB capacitors are replaceable if you know how to solder. I had to replace a couple on a Emachines MB once. I couldn't get it to load the BIOS or even P.O.S.T. I ended up finding a couple bulged capacitors on the MB and replaced them, worked like a charm after that.

TeXJ
06-17-2010, 07:37 PM
I have a program called speadfan. http://www.filehippo.com/download_speedfan/

See if you like that. If not try this link: http://www.filehippo.com/software/system_tuning/system_info/

you can scroll through the different programs to see which ones you like

TeXJ
06-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Most MB capacitors are replaceable if you know how to solder. I had to replace a couple on a Emachines MB once. I couldn't get it to load the BIOS or even P.O.S.T. I ended up finding a couple bulged capacitors on the MB and replaced them, worked like a charm after that.

I did that to my brother-in-laws big Samsung flat screen.

cheap jeep
06-20-2010, 10:52 AM
I am having trouble with my tv and this maybe the problem. Thanks for the idea

TeXJ
06-20-2010, 09:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm51C_RDIZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNHHrgX_6cs

Thats the videos that we used.

bluedragon436
10-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Yeah I just built a brand new gaming, school, work computer about a year ago... and the week before I deployed out my brand new computer got zapped thanks to the house being stuck by lightning... and after it got hit, it traveled through the Lan cord and zapped our router, modem and my wife's computer... got a new modem from the company, and got another computer for the wife... I know my HD is still good, and my power supply... other than that I am pretty sure my MB is done, and I am hoping my Phenom III isn't zapped... or my memory or brand new 1gb video card... why did I have to spend the money on the computer build this time around... hopefully insurance will cover the repairs for it... oh.. and before anyone says it... it was on a surge protector... just happened to be on the corner of the house the lightning hit... darn the living in the middle of farmville... very nice writeup you have though... have def. got some ideas for the rebuild...

Mudderoy
10-18-2010, 01:56 AM
Yeah I just built a brand new gaming, school, work computer about a year ago... and the week before I deployed out my brand new computer got zapped thanks to the house being stuck by lightning... and after it got hit, it traveled through the Lan cord and zapped our router, modem and my wife's computer... got a new modem from the company, and got another computer for the wife... I know my HD is still good, and my power supply... other than that I am pretty sure my MB is done, and I am hoping my Phenom III isn't zapped... or my memory or brand new 1gb video card... why did I have to spend the money on the computer build this time around... hopefully insurance will cover the repairs for it... oh.. and before anyone says it... it was on a surge protector... just happened to be on the corner of the house the lightning hit... darn the living in the middle of farmville... very nice writeup you have though... have def. got some ideas for the rebuild...

Very little you can do to keep lightning from going where it wants to go. I bet it came in through the Internet connection, phone line or cable, otherwise that power supply would (show) be toast.

bluedragon436
10-18-2010, 04:06 AM
Yeah all I know is the lan cable is toast, power supply still cuts computer on and all my fans spin... but that is about as far as it goes... so I am pretty sure it is still working @ full power... (at least I hope so)... but looking at the MB and the lan, and close by USB connections they are def. toasted... so I am pretty sure my MB is as well... now it is just a matter of whether the CPU, mem,and my video card are fried as well... Hopefully Best Buy can be able to find that out, so I can get my insurance to cover the parts, so I can rebuild it when I get home..

Mudderoy
10-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Yeah all I know is the lan cable is toast, power supply still cuts computer on and all my fans spin... but that is about as far as it goes... so I am pretty sure it is still working @ full power... (at least I hope so)... but looking at the MB and the lan, and close by USB connections they are def. toasted... so I am pretty sure my MB is as well... now it is just a matter of whether the CPU, mem,and my video card are fried as well... Hopefully Best Buy can be able to find that out, so I can get my insurance to cover the parts, so I can rebuild it when I get home..

I wouldn't trust the power supply after that. Memory and CPU maybe. Video card, hmmmm dunno.

4.3LXJ
10-18-2010, 11:48 AM
I had a lightning strike a while back too. Didn't hit the house, but it was close. Shut the computer down, but not the surge protector. Fortunately it just corrupted some software, which I fixed with down loads.

Mudderoy
10-18-2010, 12:20 PM
I had a lightning strike a while back too. Didn't hit the house, but it was close. Shut the computer down, but not the surge protector. Fortunately it just corrupted some software, which I fixed with down loads.

lucky!

bluedragon436
10-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Yeah I wish I was that lucky... I am going to shoot for a new power supply and def. a new MB... will be trying for a new processor as well... figure if I am going to be paying $500 deductible for insurance... I'm going to replace all the parts that could have been jacked up... don't want a half a$$ computer... that is the reason I built this computer right the first time around...

TeXJ
10-19-2010, 05:50 PM
my proc or my mobo, went out couple of weeks ago. So i built a new one. I used my same graphics card, nivida 9800GT. I got a AMD X4 640 proc, 4Gs memory 1333Mhz, windows7 ultimate, thermaltec case and power supply. I really like windows7. Oh and finally made the switch to 64bit.