PDA

View Full Version : Radio Comparison Chart

prerunner1982
05-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Thought this might be handy for anyone looking at trail comms.

If you see anything that may need correction, let me know.

blazer2
05-11-2016, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the chart.

xjzaped
05-17-2016, 08:43 PM
Left out Part 90 Itenerants

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

prerunner1982
05-18-2016, 10:21 AM
Of course leave it up to the part 90 guy...... :D

I am not as familiar with part 90 radios, but can they be used outside the ham bands without a license? Such as an alternative to someone who doesn't want to get a ham license?

xjzaped
05-18-2016, 08:52 PM
Of course leave it up to the part 90 guy...... :D

I am not as familiar with part 90 radios, but can they be used outside the ham bands without a license? Such as an alternative to someone who doesn't want to get a ham license?

No. You need a license. Difference, you can lease/loan frequency usage to a group. One can apply for itinerant frequencies by oneself. Last I checked the fee was $285 (for 10 years) and up to 10 frequencies can be applied for. There are itinerants available in VHF, UHF and low band. Repeaters require two frequencie (there are frequencies with matching pairs). You apply for a set number of users under the license, at set power levels. Also as long as you apply for the emissions designators, digital is fine.

Low band is an interesting option for those in off road clubs. Keeps you off the CB junk, but still have good propagation characteristics. Also, low band didn't have to narrowband like VHF and UHF (so those $15 low band Maxtracs are still GTG).

At some point I really need to apply for a few UHF pairs, a few VHF pairs and two low band frequencies.

prerunner1982
05-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Feel free to do a more in depth write up on that man. Stuff like what radios what might looks for, frequencies, how to get a license, etc... sounds like something a Jeep club could use. I know the Flatlander Jeeps of West Texas were testing some ham and GMRS radios around Lubbock after the last snow storm and as there were issues trying to contact group members to get hospital employees to/from work.

xjzaped
05-20-2016, 01:20 PM
Feel free to do a more in depth write up on that man. Stuff like what radios what might looks for, frequencies, how to get a license, etc... sounds like something a Jeep club could use. I know the Flatlander Jeeps of West Texas were testing some ham and GMRS radios around Lubbock after the last snow storm and as there were issues trying to contact group members to get hospital employees to/from work.

Yea…I may have had a hand in supplying info to one of the guys from flatlanders about comms systems. I just happened to be in town that day (I live in DFW now but I'm in Lubbock every two weeks or so). I've actually got to put up a small system for a gin in Brownfield in the next few months and go through the joy of licensing that.

prerunner1982
05-02-2017, 09:20 AM
A FCC reform would make the following changes.

FRS will now have 22 channels and 2 watts on channels 1-8 and 15-22.

GMRS will now have 30 channels (the 7 additional are for hand held radios only) and the license will go from 5 years to 10 years. Some channels will be narrowbanded and unfortunately the power reduced to 5 watts for those channels.

There will no longer be FRS/GMRS combined radios ("bubble pack"), radios with more than 2 watts will be classified as GMRS and require a license, radios of 2 watts or less will be classified as FRS and be license free.

bluedragon436
05-02-2017, 08:02 PM
A FCC reform would make the following changes.

FRS will now have 22 channels and 2 watts on channels 1-8 and 15-22.

GMRS will now have 30 channels (the 7 additional are for hand held radios only) and the license will go from 5 years to 10 years. Some channels will be narrowbanded and unfortunately the power reduced to 5 watts for those channels.

There will no longer be FRS/GMRS combined radios ("bubble pack"), radios with more than 2 watts will be classified as GMRS and require a license, radios of 2 watts or less will be classified as FRS and be license free.

Are the combined radios previously purchased still going to work on both fronts?? If so, might have to order some up from Amazon before they're not available any longer.. lol.. cause why not, right?!! LOL

Mudderoy
05-03-2017, 07:13 AM
I'll see your 2 watts and raise you 498!

Linear amplifier 500W solid-state UHF band 430-440 MHz - Microset RU500

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/quUAAOSw3mpXFzfU/s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linear-amplifier-500W-solid-state-UHF-band-430-440-MHz-Microset-RU500-/361538209059?hash=item542d5b4523%3Ag%3AquUAAOSw3mp XFzfU

prerunner1982
07-25-2017, 01:45 PM
A FCC reform would make the following changes.....

I found the FCC Chairman's statement regarding the Part 95 reform to be amusing.

STATEMENT OF
CHAIRMAN AJIT PAI

Re: Review of the Commission’s Part 95 Personal Radio Services Rules, WT Docket No. 10-119; Petition for Rulemaking of Garmin International, Inc., RM-10762; Petition for Rulemaking of Omnitronics, L.L.C., RM-10844

There are a number of Citizens Band or CB radio codes that are relevant to our work at the FCC. “10-75” means “you are causing interference.” “10-30” means “does not conform to FCC rules.” And “10-11” means something I’ve been told I do from time to time: “talking too rapidly.”

Over the decades, CB radio slang has changed. But the FCC’s rules in this area have not. For instance, we still have on the books a requirement that manufacturers engrave the serial number into the transmitter chassis of each CB radio. Whatever the merits of this rule when it was adopted 40 years ago, those merits have faded into memory, just like “B.J. and the Bear.” And the costs of complying with it today greatly exceed any benefit from theft prevention and the like.

So today, we reorganize, streamline, and eliminate regulations related to the Personal Radio Service. These rules govern use of devices like CB radios, remote-controlled toys, and walkie-talkies. For instance, we consolidate various repetitive sections of our rules into one place, where possible. We also reorganize these rules into categories that are easier to understand and easier to find.

This modernization effort will help anyone who uses a CB radio or other personal communications device to more easily understand and comply with our rules. Whether you’re a truck driver who needs to communicate on the road or a remote control toy enthusiast, you’ll be able to put down the engraving pen and the law books and focus on your handle.

Thank you to all those, past and present, who worked on this item. In particular, thank you to Tom Derenge, Nese Guendelsberger, Joyce Jones, Jean Kiddoo, Roger Noel, Matt Pearl, Becky Schwartz, Scot Stone, and Suzanne Tetreault in the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau; Martin Doczkat, Rashmi Doshi, Tim Harrington, Jamison Prime, and Bruce Romano from the Office of Engineering and Technology; Thomas Horan from the Media Bureau; Daniel Meyerson and Steven Spaeth from the Enforcement Bureau; and David Horowitz, Keith McCrickard, and Anjali Singh from the Office of General Counsel.

And to those who have been calling on the Commission for many years to modernize our rules in this area, I have one last thing to say: 10-4, over and out.

The two Commissioner's statements were a bit more formal and lacked the CB references.