PDA

View Full Version : Backup Transmission????

Melissa
11-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Since my jeep is running excellent (Knocking on wood) I am worried about the strength of my tranny :(

My tranny now has almost 290,000 on it and I have never done a thing to it ( knocking on wood again) It has hauled alot of heavy trailers so not recomended for my poor jeep to even be hauling, in fact I have had to replace shocks twice from hauling heavy trailers.

Should I start looking for a replacement tranny on the chance that this one fails me??

I am really nervous since one year ago this month I blew the motor, and was left with out my 4x4 for the snow months.

My tranny right now is still shifting smooth and does not slip, and it goes right in and out of 4wd, with no problems.

Am I worried for nothing, and need to relax, or should I go ahead and start the search for a tranny?? :(

TheWeiss
11-23-2009, 04:23 PM
I've been asking my self the same question. Although I'm looking at 200K on mine. But the way I figure it, the amount of beating I have subjected my Jeep to nothing should work. If you do end up hunting around for a new tranny Keep us posted on your progress and any advise people give you. I'd be interested to hear.

pvt.Tadpol xj
11-23-2009, 04:45 PM
I've been asking my self the same question. Although I'm looking at 200K on mine. But the way I figure it, the amount of beating I have subjected my Jeep to nothing should work. If you do end up hunting around for a new tranny Keep us posted on your progress and any advise people give you. I'd be interested to hear.

Scottyadd. I can help by telling you this. My 1991 is going on 274,000 and I did have to get a new front pump seal put in. But the person who had the XJ before me almost ruined this jeep. So the good side is it always works perfect. I do get the fluid and filter changed about every 20,000 MI and my mechanic who proably makes a few mistakes here and there did tell me most of these XJs will go around 500,000 MI if taken well care of:smiley-gen165:

Melissa
11-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Scottyadd. I can help by telling you this. My 1991 is going on 274,000 and I did have to get a new front pump seal put in. But the person who had the XJ before me almost ruined this jeep. So the good side is it always works perfect. I do get the fluid and filter changed about every 20,000 MI and my mechanic who proably makes a few mistakes here and there did tell me most of these XJs will go around 500,000 MI if taken well care of:smiley-gen165:

I had thought about a fluid change, but was told that with so many miles on my tranny and nothing ever being done to it, not to touch it.

pvt.Tadpol xj
11-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Scottyadd. I have heard that before to, but I am not sure if that is true. Be sure to hear from some of the other XJ family before doing anything. But you know get on the phone call as many people as you can start asking questions on this subject. I wish I could help you more on your XJ tranny.:rolleye0012:

4.3LXJ
11-23-2009, 08:39 PM
I had thought about a fluid change, but was told that with so many miles on my tranny and nothing ever being done to it, not to touch it.

I am going to disagree with that opinion. Clean fluid os the life blood of a long lived tranny. When the fluid is clean, the oil allows the friction discs to grab better. Believe it or not, Auto tranny fluid lubricates metal parts but gets sticky with friction material. The cleaner it is the stickier it is and the less the friction surfaces wear. When they wear out, that is when the tranny slips. So get your fluid changed.:thumbsup: