PDA

View Full Version : Wiring aftermarket gauge?

Wolfie
04-09-2016, 05:36 PM
Hello!

I have been working on putting an aftermarket fuel gauge from speedhut in my 95 xj.

I have absolutely no idea where to tie in for switched 12v. And how to hook it up to the lights.

I am utterly useless with this. If anyone can help me I'd be super appreciative. Also if needed I can attach the link to the install guide which is basically useless to me...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Wolfie
04-09-2016, 05:46 PM
Link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.speedhut.com/instructions/2in_and_258in_rev_fuel_level_instructions.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwje5YW10ILMAhVDuoMKHTOvAbAQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNHi48mOMEkfBZXFNMg9FCsQv5reFQ&sig2=1L42iWlH55lLmlb-lNZvzA

4.3LXJ
04-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Basically, both black wires go to ground and can be twisted together and go the same place on the unibody, red goes to ignition or other wire that gets hot when you turn the key on. White will go to the lighting circuit, small orange wire I think on mine anyway. The sending unit wire white goes back to the tank. Can remember what color that hooks into

Wolfie
04-10-2016, 07:52 AM
Basically, both black wires go to ground and can be twisted together and go the same place on the unibody, red goes to ignition or other wire that gets hot when you turn the key on. White will go to the lighting circuit, small orange wire I think on mine anyway. The sending unit wire white goes back to the tank. Can remember what color that hooks into
I traced the sending unit wire. So I have that figured out.

So an orange wire for the lights?

And is there a general "hey this wires hot with the ignition on"? Or how would I go about finding one?

4.3LXJ
04-10-2016, 09:48 AM
You will see some wires on your ignition switch which is down low on the top of the column. On mine the hot when on wires are yellow

Wolfie
04-10-2016, 09:54 AM
You will see some wires on your ignition switch which is down low on the top of the column. On mine the hot when on wires are yellow
So a yellow, and orange, and a place for my ground. Awesome. Thank you.

I will have to try that out and see if it works.

4.3LXJ
04-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Use a test light to verify power. They are cheap and work well in a situation like this when you aren't sure of which wire you want

Wolfie
04-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Use a test light to verify power. They are cheap and work well in a situation like this when you aren't sure of which wire you want
Alright I'll go pick one up. Thank you! Irvine get stumped again or finish it I will report back!

prerunner1982
04-11-2016, 02:25 PM
on my 93 there are slots in the fuse block marked with Pwr or ACC (I believe). I think the Pwr are hot all the time and the ACC are switched, but it would be good to check them with a test light (as Steve mentioned) or Multi-meter. They are not all in one spot but placed in a couple spots around the fuse block.

Wolfie
04-11-2016, 02:29 PM
on my 93 there are slots in the fuse block marked with Pwr or ACC (I believe). I think the Pwr are hot all the time and the ACC are switched, but it would be good to check them with a test light (as Steve mentioned) or Multi-meter. They are not all in one spot but placed in a couple spots around the fuse block.
Sweet! I'll see if I can find on and use it! Maybe that'll make life easier.

prerunner1982
04-11-2016, 02:31 PM
You will need a properly crimped spade connector to put in the slot on the fuse block.

Wolfie
04-11-2016, 02:37 PM
You will need a properly crimped spade connector to put in the slot on the fuse block.
I think I saw something on Amazon for that purpose.

Wolfies95XJ
04-15-2016, 07:51 PM
Qiorange 12V 24V Standard Add A Circuit Fuse Tap Piggy Back Blade Holder Plug Socket Car (5-Pack) - - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51raSX0hYkL.@@AMEPARAM@@51raSX0hYkL

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk