PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Lift kit

hitman
03-30-2016, 06:08 AM
I know, I know...it's been a long time since I've been here. Stupidly sold my 99 XJ Sport a few years ago but now I'm back in one. Just picked up a 01 XJ Sport. Someone tried the Autozone lift method of blocks out back and spring expanders in the front and slapped some 31's on it. Needless to say, this isn't going to work on any level. So, I'm looking for a 3-4.5" lift so I don't have to go the junkyard lift route to keep it driving. Anyone have anything?

bluedragon436
03-30-2016, 07:02 AM
:welcome: back Jason... Many of us have made that same regrettable mistake... I know I did when I was forced to let my 98 XJ go a few years back... But like any addiction, it draws you back in... I too picked up another XJ and it was not quite as bad of a lift setup as yours seems to be, but it was cobbled together and not at all an enjoyable ride... I picked up parts and pieces here and there as far as from other XJ owners who were upgrading their setups to higher or better setups... If that's something you might look into throw that up... Either way, I'll talk to a few of the local XJ's to me, and see if any of them still have their 3-4.5" lift components they swapped out/upgraded from on their XJ's.. see if we might not be able to at least get you the main parts and get you back into an enjoyable riding XJ.. hopefully without breaking the bank...

4.3LXJ
03-30-2016, 09:46 AM
Welcome back Jason. If you are looking for used, I would suggest checking Craigslist. There are used lift kits that show up there. Other than that, I guess it is new unless you want to get some of those wrecking yard parts

hitman
03-30-2016, 11:51 AM
I was thinking if I have to I'll go the T-bird or Cougar V6 front springs and S10 main out back method. Right now, the 31's scrub, I can't have fender flares on, and the ride quality...well...it's less than desirable to say the least. I put pinion bearings in the rear because they were destroyed just to keep it going, but overall I'll probably just end up finding another 8.25 as well since I know it's still not right. Steering is all over the place right now too...probably due to incorrect suspension, and it's got driveline vibration due to the blocks. It's a work in progress but my wife needed to drive something so I slapped it together with what I had to work with.

4.3LXJ
03-30-2016, 12:50 PM
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Yes the S10 leaf packs are a good cheap way to go and give you an honest 3.5" of lift. Not sure about the T bird springs though, no experience with them

hitman
03-30-2016, 03:54 PM
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Yes the S10 leaf packs are a good cheap way to go and give you an honest 3.5" of lift. Not sure about the T bird springs though, no experience with them

The T-bird/Cougar springs with the modified strut plate also give 3.5". So that may be my cheapest route. Then I could buy some lower control arms and do a transfer case drop and be ok. Come to find out my steering box decided to crap out today too...on top of everything else. This thing is living up the the adage...Just Empty Every Pocket.

denverd1
03-30-2016, 03:58 PM
refurb'ed durango boxes aren't too bad and bolt in. What max tire size in your future? If not bigger than 31s, the stock box (refurb'd) is up to the job

bluedragon436
03-30-2016, 09:47 PM
refurb'ed durango boxes aren't too bad and bolt in. What max tire size in your future? If not bigger than 31s, the stock box (refurb'd) is up to the job

I went with the Durango box on mine when my gearbox went out, as one it is an upgrade over stock, and two it happened to be the only in stock option at the time... And I have certainly not regretted the decision to run the Durango box.. I was not at all hard to install, at least not any harder than the standard box.. I will say unless yours is in really good shape, I'd go ahead and purchase new lines and replace them at the same time..

denverd1
03-30-2016, 09:53 PM
Definitely high pressure

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

hitman
03-31-2016, 06:24 AM
I went with the Durango box on mine when my gearbox went out, as one it is an upgrade over stock, and two it happened to be the only in stock option at the time... And I have certainly not regretted the decision to run the Durango box.. I was not at all hard to install, at least not any harder than the standard box.. I will say unless yours is in really good shape, I'd go ahead and purchase new lines and replace them at the same time..

I assume this gearbox has a better time turning those bigger tires. What years does it fit from?

denverd1
03-31-2016, 01:54 PM
Not sure on years. you want it from a V8 durango