PDA

View Full Version : Because its used in the garage....

Dredwolf
03-18-2016, 08:56 PM
It's a tool....least by my definition.

LED shops lights have finally hit a useable point....
Bought one of these to replace a 7 month old economy shop light with bright white T12 bulbs....its cheaper than the T-8 fixtures with bulbs added.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-4-ft-White-LED-Linkable-Shop-Light-54103161/205331022

It puts out as much light as a modern dual T12 shop light fixture w/bright white bulbs, but a quality T8 shop light with "daylight" bulbs seems a little brighter, but barely.

And its linkable....so I can cut back on the rigged solution I did to have lights in the garage...
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-5-ft-Linking-Cord-54242101/206121250

Or you can make your own.

bluedragon436
03-18-2016, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I've been looking at options like linkable assemblies for once I get my own shop/garage space that can actually be used to work on stuff.. I only wonder how these would perform in a shop that has higher ceilings.. Like if I take over the property my dad has right now, there is a shop on it, that is a bare bones shop right now, but I'd be looking to have concrete floors installed, more outlets, and upgrade/install lighting that makes it useable.. I know that I can just use longer chains, which I would do to bring the lights down some, but don't want to bring them all the way down to standard house garage height, or that would defeat the purpose of the big open shop w/ tall ceilings.. lol

XJ Wheeler
03-19-2016, 12:29 AM
I like that. I'm a big fan of LEDs anyway and could use some better lighting (who couldn't right!). Once things pick up I want one!

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

KMW-NWXJ
03-19-2016, 11:18 PM
I'm slowly converting my shop to those to. Well, basically the same thing from Lowe's. As bulbs or ballasts burn out I'm not replacing them. Just swapping out to these. I love that they don't hum and flicker when it's cold, too!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

slvmart
03-20-2016, 05:17 AM
I've been replacing my shop lights with the Feit version, as my old Florescents go out. They are a lot brighter, lighter and have no cold start problems (in winter). And of course, they use around 15% of the power. With the low temp ballasts and starters in the old Florescents, mine never did hum or flicker, just the light output was at less than 50% of capacity. We put up a garage, last summer and all the lights in there are LED twin 4' units. 12 of them. And they should last a real long time. I also installed some in a utility room inside the house. Really made a huge difference in the light level.

I installed the lights in the garage so that they were all at 10', and in most cases, over 12' up. One side has a 12'x12' garage door. I don't think you could get the same level of lighting from any incandescent or Florescent solution.

Dredwolf
03-21-2016, 10:02 PM
We are having a cold snap in SC at the moment, and while I have a mix of T8 and T12 newer fixtures, even the T8 fixtures don't respond as fast as the LED one.

I looked at replacing the T12 bulbs with local LED bulbs into the existing fixtures to try to save $$, but the price of the LED fixture is very hard to beat.

I may still do one for comparison, but I am buying another LED shop light next week.

myjeep
03-22-2016, 09:20 PM
It's a tool....least by my definition.

LED shops lights have finally hit a useable point....
Bought one of these to replace a 7 month old economy shop light with bright white T12 bulbs....its cheaper than the T-8 fixtures with bulbs added.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-4-ft-White-LED-Linkable-Shop-Light-54103161/205331022

It puts out as much light as a modern dual T12 shop light fixture w/bright white bulbs, but a quality T8 shop light with "daylight" bulbs seems a little brighter, but barel

And its linkable....so I can cut back on the rigged solution I did to have lights in the garage...
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-5-ft-Linking-Cord-54242101/206121250

Or you can make your own.

links dont work

slvmart
03-23-2016, 03:07 AM
Here are the Feit units I have been using. These are the whole fixture and lights, in one : Feit 73991 2 Lamp 4-Feet LED Shop Light, 48-Inch, 4100K - - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MaNk3VACL.@@AMEPARAM@@41MaNk3VACL

If you want to buy only the "bulbs" then : Feit Electric T4819/LEDIF/41K LED LINEAR FROST - - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Rvqs6MyFL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Rvqs6MyFL

abebehrmann
03-23-2016, 10:27 AM
Here are the Feit units I have been using. These are the whole fixture and lights, in one : Feit 73991 2 Lamp 4-Feet LED Shop Light, 48-Inch, 4100K - - Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Feit-73991-4-Feet-Light-48-Inch/dp/B00MJUCU2A/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1458720303&sr=1-4&keywords=feit+shop+light)
[/url]

For anyone with a Costco membership or a friend with a membership, Costco has had this exact same light or one that is very similar on sale for $32.99 for at least the last few months. I bought one a few months ago and I'm hoping to get a couple more to brighten up the whole garage when my finances allow.

prcjeep
03-23-2016, 01:12 PM
For anyone with a Costco membership or a friend with a membership, Costco has had this exact same light or one that is very similar on sale for $32.99 for at least the last few months. I bought one a few months ago and I'm hoping to get a couple more to brighten up the whole garage when my finances allow.

I bought one of the costco ones... MUCH brighter than the standard ones already in the garage.

bluedragon436
03-23-2016, 07:09 PM
Might have to look into find a friend W/ Costco membership once I get back down to SC, so I can purchase some of those BA LED light fixtures for garage/shop

slvmart
03-24-2016, 03:31 AM
Last time I saw them at Costco, in my area, they were only the bulbs at around $33 price. But that can vary, with location. Try to get the ones over 4000 Kelvin, they are more towards daylight and really brighten things up.

Dredwolf
06-26-2016, 09:50 PM
Working on the WJ got the momentum going again...

picking up a couple more of these to replace the fading T12 fixtures. I tested the link, it takes you to the HD site to see:

Commercial Electric

Model # 54103161

Internet # 205331022

Store SKU # 1000532467

4 ft. White LED Linkable Shop Light

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-4-ft-White-LED-Linkable-Shop-Light-54103161/205331022?AID=11210757&PID=6151789&SID=ipxfb7vgqp00n0k3001rw&cm_mmc=CJ-_-6151789-_-11210757&cj=true

bluedragon436
11-27-2016, 12:11 AM
Not too bad of deal on those lights... and certainly doesn't hurt hat you can link them together.. wonder what the limit is for how many can be linked... Thinking at most I'd be looking at doing three, would think with them being LED would be ok.. but either way don't have to worry about that for a bit, as I don't even have the garage yet...

Charlie Foxtrot
12-19-2016, 04:47 PM
Nice light. The great thing about using LEDs in a high bay is that they don't burn out for a long time, so you are not having to change the bulbs every six months or so. I hate going up 20 feet or more just to change out one or two bulbs. Rural King has a similar light w/fixture for $19. (Rural King, aka RK is a farm store chain in the midwest - they do sell online). For really bright high bay lights, HO T-5s w/ polished reflectors (6 bulb) can't be beat (about $200 ea). It's like turning on the sun. Only problem is the bulbs only last year or so, & then its up in the air you go.

Dredwolf
12-29-2016, 12:16 AM
Nice light. The great thing about using LEDs in a high bay is that they don't burn out for a long time, so you are not having to change the bulbs every six months or so. I hate going up 20 feet or more just to change out one or two bulbs. Rural King has a similar light w/fixture for $19. (Rural King, aka RK is a farm store chain in the midwest - they do sell online). For really bright high bay lights, HO T-5s w/ polished reflectors (6 bulb) can't be beat (about $200 ea). It's like turning on the sun. Only problem is the bulbs only last year or so, & then its up in the air you go.

I had the HO 6 bulb units installed when I was acting Facility Manager at another employer, you are right that they throw a ton of light, and replaced a bunch of the high pressure high bay lights.

Will check out Rural King, we have Tractor Supply here, but I use a lot of on-line sources to keep this chicken/goat/weed "small farm" running....between disasters...sorta.

Charlie Foxtrot
12-29-2016, 11:56 AM
RK just moved its corporate HQ to NC. Looks like they are coming your way.

I find that they are a great resource. As an example they have house brand synthetic motor oil in 5 quart jugs for under $10, and BCI Grp 24M & 24F batteries on sale for $39 (60 mo warranty). I picked up batteries for all my Jeeps during sub zero weather for $49/ea (missed the sale).

In 2005/06 I reworked the lighting in a rather large warehouse. Went from 400watt MH High Bay's to the T-5 HO instant strike/motion detector type lights. Paid for the job (ROI) in less than 6 months in power savings. Reduced the number of fixtures by 50%,doubled the effective light and dropped the power consumption through the floor.

You may be able to get some economic relief from:https://energy.gov/eere/femp/energy-incentive-programs-south-carolina
for installing energy saving lighting, and some other alternative systems.