PDA

View Full Version : !!Help other engine noise help!!

rm2406
02-25-2016, 10:46 AM
https://youtu.be/fSFI_TdCQ_QHello all. I have this noise that sounds from underneath. I've heard it in xj's before but don't know what it is... it's always there, first start.hot day. Cold day. Idle and acceleration. Sometimes it fades in and out. Please see link & let me know any possibilities. Thanks! I've been told it's a "common jeep noise thing". Flexplate does NOT look cracked. Bolts are tight too.. sounds like a rattle kind of.. please let me know your thoughts..

prerunner1982
02-25-2016, 11:02 AM
I can't view the video due to firewall at work and I know this is poor operating procedure to answer without seeing/hearing the issue, but have you checked your catalytic converter?

The one on my 97 rattles and it is a common problem. In fact I believe there is a recall on the issue though for some reason my 97 is not included on it.

rm2406
02-25-2016, 11:10 AM
Catalytic converter is pretty new. It's definitely a rattle type noise somewhere between oil pan and flexplate...

Mudderoy
02-25-2016, 12:07 PM
https://youtu.be/fSFI_TdCQ_QHello all. I have this noise that sounds from underneath. I've heard it in xj's before but don't know what it is... it's always there, first start.hot day. Cold day. Idle and acceleration. Sometimes it fades in and out. Please see link & let me know any possibilities. Thanks! I've been told it's a "common jeep noise thing". Flexplate does NOT look cracked. Bolts are tight too.. sounds like a rattle kind of.. please let me know your thoughts..

That's what mine sounds like, at least how I remember it. It doesn't sound like the tapping is very loud. I'll try to do a video of my own so you can compare.

I had a tapping noise that would disappear above idle and would come back changing frequency and tone as the engine came back to idle. It was the torque converter to flex plate bolts. They were pretty loose.

Mudderoy
02-25-2016, 03:55 PM
https://youtu.be/WajfjzJsLCk

rm2406
02-25-2016, 04:55 PM
They almost sound similar. Mine sounds slightly pronounced though... I've check the torque converter bolts and they seemed tight. Maybe I didn't use enough muscle to tighten them.. hmmm.

Mudderoy
02-25-2016, 05:12 PM
They almost sound similar. Mine sounds slightly pronounced though... I've check the torque converter bolts and they seemed tight. Maybe I didn't use enough muscle to tighten them.. hmmm.

Mine shouldn't be loose now. When they were loose they were finger tight at best. I think you would have noticed it.

rm2406
02-25-2016, 06:17 PM
It's definitely the lower end of engine. I'm gonna get a stethoscope and see if I can pin point the noise more accurately. I had another jeep that made the same sound but it actually was the flexplate bolts. Any other ideas?

rm2406
02-26-2016, 03:32 PM
Any other ideas out there?

LordLancifer
03-02-2016, 06:30 PM
Someone told me that mine sounded like poston slap or exhaust valves. It sounds the same. I'm not hugely familiar with engine internals, but maybe this would spark some ideas.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk