PDA

View Full Version : Dana 30 passenger axle side upper control arm mount issues!

JBone
02-14-2016, 11:40 AM
So I've done a lot of work on the cheap ZJ I bought about a couple of years ago. I've been chasing a clunk noise in the front end. I've replaced all control arms and bushings, sway bar links, sway bar bushings and the track bar. A problem was found on the passenger side upper control arm bushing bracket on the axle. When we removed the old control arm the old bushing fell out of the bracket. As I know that their suppose to be pressed in, I know this is an issue. To get me back on the road, we just tacked the new bushing to the upper mount/bracket on the Pass. side axle. Now i think the welds are lose and its making a noise over bumps same a before. Where and what can I do to replace the bracket?

Also, I have a rattle on the same side. I thought is was the brake caliper was sloppy so I installed new glide pins. No change. Could the caliper be so worn out the new pins would still have play and rattle over bumps? Thanks for the great forum here.

JBone

GoneWithTheWind
02-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Check for wear between the knuckle and brake.

JBone
02-14-2016, 01:04 PM
Check for wear between the knuckle and brake.

Where the pads rest? Or caliper?...

GoneWithTheWind
02-14-2016, 01:18 PM
Where the caliper bolts to the knuckle. It can get loose and start making a bumping sound. There should be a wear mark on your knuckle if this is what's happening.

JBone
02-14-2016, 01:29 PM
What would be worn out? The caliper or the knuckle? Hope its not the knuckle. Would be a ball buster to replace that.

GoneWithTheWind
02-14-2016, 01:36 PM
The knuckle would have indentations from the caliper hitting it. Some people have welded over the bad spot to fill it in. Stopping going forward will make it hit, stopping while backing up will pull it away from knuckle.
Sundays can be slow on here, but maybe someone is awake that can help you more than me.

JBone
02-14-2016, 01:46 PM
Ah, I got it. So on the knuckle, look for a worn spot. Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it.

JBone
02-15-2016, 10:51 AM
Anyone know what to do about the passenger side upper control arm axle bracket that wont hold a new bushing? I think its the major cause of the noise I hear.

XJ Wheeler
02-16-2016, 08:57 PM
The mount probably got wallered out by a worn bushing. There's a few companies that make heavy duty replacements. One for example.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-control-arms-front-upper-mount-kit.html

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.