PDA

View Full Version : Replaced disc brake pads now I get a rattle

Mudderoy
11-19-2009, 11:49 AM
I replaced my disc brake pads a couple of months ago. I noticed on one of the cooler days when I had my windows down a rattling noise that went away when I pressed on the brakes. Even a light touch would stop the sound immediently.

Someone suggested that the pad were lose, but they were very tight when I put them on.

I can't find anything lose, but I haven't tried taking the wheels off and removing the calipers yet.

I did put the anti-squeak stuff on the pads during install, and it worked since there isn't a squeak.

Anyway I thought someone may have had the same problem and already found the solution.

I was thinking about removing the dust shields, dunno.

96xj
11-19-2009, 11:58 AM
i have the same problem i haven't figured it out yet but i do believe it is the dust shield

Mudderoy
11-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Anyone know a down side to removing the dust shield? I guess dust?

BlueXJ
11-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Did you put the flat spring like anti-rattle pieces back in their places properly?

Mudderoy
11-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Did you put the flat spring like anti-rattle pieces back in their places properly?

I have no idea what you mean. The pads had clips on them. They were tight on the calipers. What else is there?

BlueXJ
11-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Sounds like you did use them. I had a tough time getting them on mine and contemplated discarding them. Thought you may had done the same.

YellowSub2000
11-20-2009, 11:11 AM
My Girl's Ram has the same problem. I believe it's the dust shield. I've looked to see if it's bent, but have not taken it off yet. Hmmm,. Maybe this weekend.

muddeprived
11-20-2009, 10:22 PM
The dust shield keeps water and road debris off the brakes but removing them will not cause any issues. I've always took off the dust shields on all my jeeps and never had any problems.

I can't really help you with the rattle cuz I never experienced any rattle....or would be able to hear it anyways. :D

Mudderoy
11-21-2009, 01:03 AM
The dust shield keeps water and road debris off the brakes but removing them will not cause any issues. I've always took off the dust shields on all my jeeps and never had any problems.

I can't really help you with the rattle cuz I never experienced any rattle....or would be able to hear it anyways. :D

lol funny guy. Thanks for the OTHER info though. I think I'll remove mine.

Arctycfox
11-28-2009, 06:49 PM
FYI Mopar had a run of "soft" casting that affected the pad hangers. Look closely and see if there are grooves in the hangers. Mine were pretty bad and were causing the pads to "hang up" and rattle a touch. They didn't rattle when they were worn to the "sweet spot" that matched the groove. Easy fix though. Simply welded over the groove then mchined down smooth. Works beautifuly now.

2000XJ
11-28-2009, 10:24 PM
I've heard mixed reviews on running without the dust shields. I've heard some that have had no ill effects of doing this, and I've heard from others that have removed them and then reinstalled them because driving in the rain w/o them was very scary because the rotors were getting too wet.

I guess, try it w/o them, but if you feel like your brakes aren't acting the same then put them back on.