PDA

View Full Version : Still waiting

swampp
02-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Back in December or maybe November there was a teaser topic on the failures of the Jeep 3.6 engines. There was going to be a follow up talk about how these engines are going to fail and we'll be up a creek with no paddle when it comes to help from FCA,
Well since I have one of these engine sin the wifes DD I would like to hear the topic of how these engines are going to have a catastrophic failure.
Or did I miss the podcast that it was discussed on? Or is there a thread on this site or wrangler.com site that I didn't see?
Speaking of the wrangler.com site, where is all the CJ love? After all the CJ is the wranglers daddy and just having one thread with two post isn't real inviting.
Swamp

prerunner1982
02-05-2016, 08:43 AM
It has been discussed a couple of times in the last couple months with a few voicemails being called in on the topic. I think it's really more the 3.8 that is weak one and that other than the 2012 cylinder head issue the 3.6 is a decent engine.

swampp
02-05-2016, 09:58 AM
It has been discussed a couple of times in the last couple months with a few voicemails being called in on the topic. I think it's really more the 3.8 that is weak one and that other than the 2012 cylinder head issue the 3.6 is a decent engine.

It was?
I missed it, can you point which episodes it was so I can hear it?

xj-jake
02-05-2016, 10:24 AM
It has been discussed I believe but not in great detail.

Long story short back in the mid to late 2000's before the 3.6L came out and the 3.8L was still in production there was lots of things going on in the economy. Car sales plummeted due to the housing market and the stock market. Auto makers had to squeeze every penny to make cars more affordable and try to get people to buy them so they could keep their doors open.

Now the following is what I've been told by our mechanics and dealership owner. In order to save money in the engine manufacturing they (Chrysler) used shorter piston skirts and lower grade materials in their engines. Well a shorter piston skirt will allow the piston to tip in the cylinder and having poorer material in the block will allow the cylinders to wallow out. Which in turn causes oil consumption and eventually engine failure due to lack of lubrication and/or low compression which will not let the engine run.

We do still run into these from time to time but not very often. Mostly in vans. If it's using 2-3 quarts in 3000 miles it's pretty much a dead give away that you'd be looking to put a short block in.

Another example of cheaper parts from auto makers is power steering pumps. Most of the vans and cars from the mid to late 2000's will have a horrendous power steering whine.

The newest one I've seen with and issue was a 2010 JK that was traded in with 58,000 miles. I looked at purchasing it but with only that on it for miles it was using 2 quarts per 3000 miles.

abebehrmann
02-05-2016, 10:49 AM
Back in December or maybe November there was a teaser topic on the failures of the Jeep 3.6 engines. There was going to be a follow up talk about how these engines are going to fail and we'll be up a creek with no paddle when it comes to help from FCA,
Well since I have one of these engine sin the wifes DD I would like to hear the topic of how these engines are going to have a catastrophic failure.
Or did I miss the podcast that it was discussed on? Or is there a thread on this site or wrangler.com site that I didn't see?
Speaking of the wrangler.com site, where is all the CJ love? After all the CJ is the wranglers daddy and just having one thread with two post isn't real inviting.
Swamp

I believe it was noted in the next podcast that Josh was probably thinking about the 3.8L engine. As Jake says, these engines are known for using a ton of oil and are lucky to reach 100k without needing replacement. The only real problems that I've heard of with the 3.6L engine are that there were problems with the sand from casting being left in the coolant passageways leading to overheating and some sort of problem with the left cylinder head cracking. From what I've heard, the dealership will replace these under a TSB if found before 150k or 10 years, but if the Jeep is modified you might get some push back depending on the dealership. Some seem very willing to work with modified JKs others see any mods and just plain refuse even though in a lot of states this is illegal unless they can prove the part broke as a direct result of aftermarket modifications.

xj-jake
02-05-2016, 10:58 AM
I believe it was noted in the next podcast that Josh was probably thinking about the 3.8L engine. As Jake says, these engines are known for using a ton of oil and are lucky to reach 100k without needing replacement. The only real problems that I've heard of with the 3.6L engine are that there were problems with the sand from casting being left in the coolant passageways leading to overheating and some sort of problem with the left cylinder head cracking. From what I've heard, the dealership will replace these under a TSB if found before 150k or 10 years, but if the Jeep is modified you might get some push back depending on the dealership. Some seem very willing to work with modified JKs others see any mods and just plain refuse even though in a lot of states this is illegal unless they can prove the part broke as a direct result of aftermarket modifications.

Abe you are correct on the casting sand issue, I forgot about that. It wasn't nearly as common in the 3.6L as it was in the 2.4L like they used in the Chrysler 200. A dead give away in the 2.4 was cooler air coming out on one side of the car vents than on the other.

Mudderoy
02-05-2016, 11:48 AM
Swamp

No I need to learn to wait for the announcement after I've got the interviews. I thought everyone was lined up but we haven't been able to get together with the people that have the information. Sorry, it hasn't been forgotten.

swampp
02-05-2016, 01:46 PM
No I need to learn to wait for the announcement after I've got the interviews. I thought everyone was lined up but we haven't been able to get together with the people that have the information. Sorry, it hasn't been forgotten.

So, it's a still on going topic that will be talked about later? If so, cool. If not, bummer.
Bad thing is we have a 2012 JK with 75,000+ miles on it. So far no problems.

Let's see.
A CJ is a "civilian Jeep"
A YJ is a "yuppie Jeep"
A TJ is a "true Jeep"
a JK is a ......?
I call it "Just Kidding". Why else would they make it look like a little hummer, "just kidding".

abebehrmann
02-05-2016, 01:52 PM
a JK is a ......?
I call it "Just Joking". Why else would they make it look like a little hummer, "just Joking".

I thought it stood for JunK and they just didn't have enough room for the other letters. :D:D Just kidding....

They had a little more room with the 4 door models but those damn engineers can't spell worth a damn!

:rolleye0012:

4.3LXJ
02-05-2016, 01:53 PM
JK = Just Kidding :D

swampp
02-05-2016, 01:57 PM
I thought it stood for JunK and they just didn't have enough room for the other letters. :D:D Just kidding....

They had a little more room with the 4 door models but those damn engineers can't spell worth a damn!

:rolleye0012:

Obliviously I can't think either. Man it's been a long day at work.:bang:

swampp
02-05-2016, 01:58 PM
JK = Just Kidding :D

Yeah I know, I corrected it :bang: