PDA

View Full Version : Could use a few prayers

Brasscatz
01-10-2016, 05:37 PM
As some of you know, I'm in the car business running 3 cities of photographers for the largest Automotive dealer group in the world. As in the car business, things change. I started out just over 10 years ago working for Kelley Blue Book doing the same type thing when 5 years ago this dealer group snatched me up. It was perfect timing, as it meant a big pay raise when my wife was going through student teaching and wasn't getting a check. Fast forward to last year, we were finally where we wanted to be. Took a couple nice vacations, bought a bigger house in a nicer neighborhood and had a baby. My wife decided to get a job-share teaching position which meant she gets half a paycheck in order to spend more time at home with the baby. Things were tighter and we were working on curbing our spending after doing the budget just last weekend.

I got a call from my boss Yesterday stating that the company is looking to cut costs and that my position was making "too much money" and is going bye-bye. I'll be put back into a store as a photographer making waaaay less than I am now. Our savings is very low and won't survive this move for very long.

My option right now is to wait until all the details emerge over the next week or so, then probably move into a sales position. I've always stayed away from sales because I value my holidays, normal-length days and Saturdays. If I go that route, I'll have far less time with my family than I do now, but it may be the only choice I have. I'll probably have to wait a few months too because this time of year is the slowest for the car business.

Please say a few prayers that everything will work out and that I can continue to provide for my family comfortably.

4.3LXJ
01-10-2016, 05:45 PM
Praying for you bud

bluedragon436
01-10-2016, 07:17 PM
Prayers for sure, Jim!! All things will work out in time!!

XJ Wheeler
01-10-2016, 07:58 PM
I sure will bro! Hope things pick up soon. Can't believe they just came out and said your position made "too much money". That makes me mad. I guess they are the only ones to make too much...

Let them know they'll be missing out on thousands for our next truck, cause it definitely won't be at their dealerships.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Brasscatz
01-10-2016, 10:46 PM
Thanks guys. In this day and age, photographers are one of the most important jobs in the dealership. You'd think....

xj-jake
01-12-2016, 12:59 PM
Hang in there Jim. The car business SUCKS! It can only get better from here it's been pretty slim here too.

Outlaw star
01-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Best of luck to ya man.

Brasscatz
01-14-2016, 05:25 PM
Well, got word from my boss today that they're getting rid of my entire department and outsourcing to a vendor company. I maybe have 2 weeks left with a job. Luckily, I have several options with the stores and can probably get into a highline store doing sales. Ugh, this sucks. Wish me luck tomorrow as I go talk to the GM of my BMW store.

Outlaw star
01-14-2016, 05:30 PM
Good luck and keep your head up. Its probably for the best.

4.3LXJ
01-14-2016, 06:08 PM
Have you checked with the outsourcing company?

XJ Wheeler
01-14-2016, 07:50 PM
Really hope you find a good position jim. The timing isn't great, but you never know it's probably a blessing in disguise.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Brasscatz
01-14-2016, 08:28 PM
Have you checked with the outsourcing company?

There's definitely the option, but there are 2 problems. 1, they wouldn't be able to pay me half of what I need to survive and 2, the 'owner' of that company is a snake that's tried stealing my stores away from me before and I refuse to work for her. But yeah, the money thing is the main part keeping me from working for them.

Brasscatz
01-14-2016, 08:37 PM
Thanks everybody. I do hope that the new company will bring my photographers on board. Several of them have kids to provide for as well.
Nothing is set in stone, but I know I can excel in sales. I never wanted to do sales because I like knowing exactly how much I'm going to make, I like my Saturdays off and I like my holidays. But, this could be a stepping stone and a small part of me is excited for a change after 10 years of photography. It would be a whole lot less terrifying if I didn't have the responsibilities of a family to worry about.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

OldFaurt
01-14-2016, 08:53 PM
You are in my prayers!
I have been there myself,
you may feel like you're in the scary end of the tunnel, but
you will see through to daylight on the other end.

Brasscatz
01-18-2016, 03:15 PM
Well, the BMW store loved me but they're about to undergo a complete renovation of the building and they'll have to work out of trailers on the used car lot... cutting their inventory in half.

Today I interviewed with my Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep store because they have so much volume and foot traffic.... and I'll be starting Feb 1. The first month I'll make about $2k.... which is the rate that everybody starts out while training and getting certification until we move to commission only. That's going to be pretty rough, but we'll get through it with prayers.

The long-term plan is for me to get my feet wet doing selling there then transfer to BMW when the construction is over in 9 months to a year. Store hours are 9a-9p monday through saturday... I'm never going to see my family. But hey... if anybody needs a new/used Jeep or other vehicle.... lol yeah

On a good note, the company taking over the photos is willing to hire all my photographers, so at least they'll have jobs.

XJ Wheeler
01-19-2016, 01:51 AM
It'll all work out, you'll do great. You're a natural!

Brasscatz
01-31-2016, 09:14 PM
Well, here goes. Wish me luck starting my new job tomorrow. It's going to be interesting. I'll be training for pretty much the first month, so if you're near Houston and wanting to buy a car... hold off for a month :D

bluedragon436
01-31-2016, 09:30 PM
GL Jim.. You'll do fine, I'm sure... If I were closer and in the market for a new ride... I'd hit you up... give you a commission!!

Outlaw star
01-31-2016, 10:28 PM
You got this man. Good luck.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
02-01-2016, 10:36 AM
Good luck Jim

xj-jake
02-01-2016, 10:40 AM
Good luck Jim and welcome to the CDJR selling family. Have fun with the training! I was there not that long ago. You'll do fine.

Brasscatz
02-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Thanks everybody. Yesterday, I made my first "split sale" where me and another dude shared the sale. (Really, he did all the work, I just greeted them and tried to get the ball rolling). BUT today, I made my first official unassisted sale! I will probably never have another sale as easy as this one. Basically, the dude came in and said "I want this truck, let's take a test drive" which we did and when we parked he said "I'm buying this truck, tell your manager I'll write a check for $25k cash". And the deal was done. Holy cow, right?

xj-jake
02-04-2016, 08:18 AM
Great job Jim. I like those laydown sales! They don't happen that often though, most you have to fight for!

Brasscatz
08-19-2016, 08:15 AM
Well, 6.5 months in and I am still here. Been searching for another job the entire time with not much luck.... until now :D I found a position with AutoTrader and the job description sounds like a DREAM! I was one of 16 applicants that had a phone interview, but only 1 of a few that made it to a face-to-face interview! The interview yesterday went well. The guy really seemed to like me a lot. We talked for a good hour and a half!

Everybody PLEASE say some prayers for me... I want and need this job so bad. It'll put us back financially sound again, and I know that I'll love what I do again.

XJ Wheeler
08-20-2016, 04:45 PM
Sounding good!

Brasscatz
10-17-2016, 11:22 AM
Well, I didn't get the gig with AutoTrader... they decided to take the easy road and move an internal employee to the position. Farkers.

On another note, I just can't afford to feed my family on $100 per car sold... the car business isn't what it used to be. Keep that in mind when buying your next vehicle... that $1000 you're arguing over really affects your salesman's paycheck when it only affects your payments by $20-ish.

I'm tired of rolling out the red carpet for ungrateful customers only to earn $100 before taxes. The amount of time and service I provide is worth way more than that.

On a happier note, I quit my job selling cars and will begin selling roofing work! I still don't want to be in sales, but I know that you can make a good living in roofs.

So if anybody is in the Houston area and need roofing work, or if you know anybody who does... give me a call! My company will pay UP TO $300 for a referral!! 832-874-1577

Mudderoy
10-18-2016, 12:26 AM
Well, I didn't get the gig with AutoTrader... they decided to take the easy road and move an internal employee to the position. Farkers.

On another note, I just can't afford to feed my family on $100 per car sold... the car business isn't what it used to be. Keep that in mind when buying your next vehicle... that $1000 you're arguing over really affects your salesman's paycheck when it only affects your payments by $20-ish.

I'm tired of rolling out the red carpet for ungrateful customers only to earn $100 before taxes. The amount of time and service I provide is worth way more than that.

On a happier note, I quit my job selling cars and will begin selling roofing work! I still don't want to be in sales, but I know that you can make a good living in roofs.

So if anybody is in the Houston area and need roofing work, or if you know anybody who does... give me a call! My company will pay UP TO $300 for a referral!! 832-874-1577

I saw the last day post the other day and I was hopeful that you had got that job, but saw something about roofing. Wasn't sure if you were being Jim or that was really what you were going to do. I know it's tough but keep plugging away you'll find your spot.

Brasscatz
10-18-2016, 02:53 PM
I saw the last day post the other day and I was hopeful that you had got that job, but saw something about roofing. Wasn't sure if you were being Jim or that was really what you were going to do. I know it's tough but keep plugging away you'll find your spot.

Thanks, buddy. All I know is that I had a customer that sold roofs and made a killing. I know I'm not the salesman he is, but if I'm half of what he is... well I'll be very well off.

I'll keep looking for a job in the automotive industry... in fact, I have a phone interview with AutoTrader today at 4pm for a different position than before. We'll see what they have to say about it. I was offered a service advisor position within my dealership, but I wanted out. I will lose my longevity check that comes in next month, but I REALLY needed to get out of there. Who knows... maybe I'll be back in that capacity.

4.3LXJ
10-18-2016, 02:58 PM
Sent one up for you Jim

Brasscatz
10-20-2016, 09:51 AM
Well, I hate to jump the gun, but that phone interview with AutoTrader went well. It's not my dream position like the other one was, but it could still double my old salary and solve a LOT of problems! Since the last interview process with AutoTrader took almost 2 months for them to get back to me, I'm not going to hold my breath and I'll keep chugging along with the roofing gig until I know something. I bought myself a 17' ladder and a roof rack for the civic to cart it around lol. The Jeep would take too much money to get back on the road, so civic it is!

Mudderoy
10-20-2016, 09:55 AM
Thanks, buddy. All I know is that I had a customer that sold roofs and made a killing. I know I'm not the salesman he is, but if I'm half of what he is... well I'll be very well off.

I'll keep looking for a job in the automotive industry... in fact, I have a phone interview with AutoTrader today at 4pm for a different position than before. We'll see what they have to say about it. I was offered a service advisor position within my dealership, but I wanted out. I will lose my longevity check that comes in next month, but I REALLY needed to get out of there. Who knows... maybe I'll be back in that capacity.

I suspect that in a few years you'll look back at all the turmoil as unpleasant but very happy it happened.

XJ Wheeler
10-20-2016, 10:21 AM
Well, I hate to jump the gun, but that phone interview with AutoTrader went well. It's not my dream position like the other one was, but it could still double my old salary and solve a LOT of problems! Since the last interview process with AutoTrader took almost 2 months for them to get back to me, I'm not going to hold my breath and I'll keep chugging along with the roofing gig until I know something. I bought myself a 17' ladder and a roof rack for the civic to cart it around lol. The Jeep would take too much money to get back on the road, so civic it is!
You gonna have better hours now? Weekends off? I know how hard that was on you.

Brasscatz
10-20-2016, 10:28 AM
You gonna have better hours now? Weekends off? I know how hard that was on you.

With roofing, I'll make my own hours. Obviously, the more I work, the more potential I have to earn money. So, I foresee weekends, yes, but not a 12.5 hour saturday like car sales.

With AutoTrader, there will be a lot of overnight travel but weekends and holidays off. The paychecks will make that worth it. And I'm used to a little bit of travel.

XJ Wheeler
10-20-2016, 11:07 AM
With roofing, I'll make my own hours. Obviously, the more I work, the more potential I have to earn money. So, I foresee weekends, yes, but not a 12.5 hour saturday like car sales.

With AutoTrader, there will be a lot of overnight travel but weekends and holidays off. The paychecks will make that worth it. And I'm used to a little bit of travel.
That's definitely an improvement! Was just thinking it's been a long time since we wrenched. :D

Brasscatz
10-27-2016, 08:51 AM
Well, I didn't get the job with AutoTrader. I'm pretty bummed about that. Guess I'm going to be hitting this roofing job pretty hard!

Outlaw star
10-27-2016, 09:15 PM
A job is better than no job.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk