PDA

View Full Version : Plasma cutters

blazer2
12-27-2015, 08:58 PM
If not in the wright spot the power's at be please move thanks.
For you guys and gals that have them what do you have?
I am looking at an Eastwood 60amp. Because it's in my budget. I cannot afford one from the companies. I had an ESAP long time ago that came up missing when most of my stuff was stolen:bang: Thanks for your input.

abebehrmann
12-28-2015, 11:07 AM
I don't know anyone that has one, but there is someone on here (can't remember his handle right now) that has the Eastwood 185 MIG machine and he seems very happy with it. I like Eastwood's Youtube channel and have seen them in use, look like decent units for the price.

From what I've read and heard, the cheaper Plasma Cutters work well enough, they just run through the consumables a bit faster than the nicer brands. Let us know what you decide on and how you like it.

blazer2
12-28-2015, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info and will do.

abebehrmann
02-12-2016, 09:14 AM
Hey did you end up getting this? I'm now in the market for a plasma cutter and hoping for a review.

blazer2
02-13-2016, 09:01 AM
sorry i forgot to say I went with a forney 700p. local dealer had a demo for $1000.00
they list for $1450.00. i went the forney for dealer support.
the 700p is 120v/230v and they say will cut up to 3/4" on 230.
And it's green to match my tool box.

blazer2
02-14-2016, 10:18 PM
I played with the plasma today after church. Cutting some 3/16 sheets for the xj
No complaints so far. I cut some 16g sheet metal for body panels. And cut out the rusty ones.
The only thing i don't like is now my buddies know i have one and they want me. To cut all of their stuff aswell.

abebehrmann
02-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Ahhh nuts! That one is definitely out of my price range. I've been looking at some Chinese-made units but after reading a bunch of reviews I think I might sit on my money for a while and wait until a used Hypertherm or Miller comes up on Craigslist for a somewhat reasonable price. Thanks for the update though.

blazer2
02-15-2016, 12:15 PM
Don't forget to look at your local welding supply house.
They get used ones and have demo's and tradeins.
For me dealer support was a big factor.
The dealer i picked it up at is a Miller dealer as well.
After a few trips and talking to him. And he let me take a few home.
To play with. After it was all said I liked the forney the best.

KMW-NWXJ
02-15-2016, 02:44 PM
I picked up my Hypertherm PM45 used for $1200, and it was only 3 months old. If you plan to use one a lot, I would really go with Hypertherm because of consumable life. I use mine on a CNC table, and it's an amazing machine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

abebehrmann
02-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Don't forget to look at your local welding supply house.
They get used ones and have demo's and tradeins.
For me dealer support was a big factor.
The dealer i picked it up at is a Miller dealer as well.
After a few trips and talking to him. And he let me take a few home.
To play with. After it was all said I liked the forney the best.

I picked up my Hypertherm PM45 used for $1200, and it was only 3 months old. If you plan to use one a lot, I would really go with Hypertherm because of consumable life. I use mine on a CNC table, and it's an amazing machine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Very good advice you guys, I'm going to stop by a few welding supply places and ask them about the plasma cutters they carry.

I don't really plan on using it a ton at the moment but I like the idea of purchasing one that I don't have to worry about breaking after a year and then having to try to figure out how to get the Chinese company to honor the warranty. It would also be nice if I could pick up some consumables in an actual store if needed instead of being forced to purchase online only.

blazer2
02-15-2016, 05:11 PM
That's why I went with one out of a dealer.
When i was looking for one I could not find anything in my budget.
For what i wanted. Now they seem to be all over.