PDA

View Full Version : CB Weather stations??

roberthleeii
12-16-2015, 08:51 AM
I am looking at CBs trying to decide what I want/need to get if I want to start going out and running trails around and I keep coming across NOAA weather and emergency stations on some of the CBs. Being a complete newbie to this I have no idea what this is. Can someone help explain this to me?

xj-jake
12-16-2015, 08:55 AM
Weather stations on CB's are a recorded loop of the weather in the local area that are put on the air by the national weather service. They're not something that's needed but it is kind of nice to have. Say you are going out on the trails and see some sinister looking clouds coming, you can switch to the NOAA weather channel and see if it's just clouds or if you need to cut your day short and head home. I have them built into the radio on my motorcycle and they are very nice to have on the scooter.

prerunner1982
12-16-2015, 12:44 PM
Jake you know you can tune them in on your Ham radio too right?

roberthleeii
12-16-2015, 01:06 PM
Weather stations on CB's are a recorded loop of the weather in the local area that are put on the air by the national weather service. They're not something that's needed but it is kind of nice to have. Say you are going out on the trails and see some sinister looking clouds coming, you can switch to the NOAA weather channel and see if it's just clouds or if you need to cut your day short and head home. I have them built into the radio on my motorcycle and they are very nice to have on the scooter.

Thanks that actually seems very useful. with the weather apps on the phone when I am driving I hate to start to read all the weather. it would be nice just to tune in and listen to the local weather.

I don't have a ham or CB right now. I I am trying to evaluate my options right now so when I make a purchase I will feel confident. CB seems so much easier to get in to and a little cheaper. I figure for around $200 I can get the cobra 75 one mounted in the jeep with an external speaker to help with the sound. If I later decide to become a HAM I can always add that to the set up and I doubt it will interfere too much with each other, but I think that the Cobra 75 will do more than I need.

Are there any other special features like the NOAA weather stations that I should be aware of?

Mudderoy
12-16-2015, 01:27 PM
If you're really concerned about the weather, get a HAM radio and look into the SkyWARN frequencies in your area. You'll her people on the ground reporting weather, which will be more important to you than the loop they run from NOAA.

My choice would be to have both.

prerunner1982
12-16-2015, 01:28 PM
I don't have a ham or CB right now. I I am trying to evaluate my options right now so when I make a purchase I will feel confident. CB seems so much easier to get in to and a little cheaper. I figure for around $200 I can get the cobra 75 one mounted in the jeep with an external speaker to help with the sound. If I later decide to become a HAM I can always add that to the set up and I doubt it will interfere too much with each other, but I think that the Cobra 75 will do more than I need.

Sorry Robert my comment was directed towards XJ Jake, he is a ham.

But.... just for the record, $200 could get you into ham radio with a mobile set up as well. :D Also a CB radio and a VHF/UHF ham radio do not interfere with each other.

Have to take one step at a time though with whatever you feel comfortable with. Either way we are happy to answer any questions you have.

Mudderoy
12-16-2015, 01:33 PM
Thanks that actually seems very useful. with the weather apps on the phone when I am driving I hate to start to read all the weather. it would be nice just to tune in and listen to the local weather.

Are there any other special features like the NOAA weather stations that I should be aware of?

Amazon.com : BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio (Black) : Frs Two Way Radios : Car Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51q-q-sV1-L.@@AMEPARAM@@51q-q-sV1-L

Amazon.com: Uniden BEARCAT CB Radio With Sideband And WeatherBand (980SSB): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41UPjN93-tL.@@AMEPARAM@@41UPjN93-tL

There ya go, send me the $75 you'll have left over! :D

prerunner1982
12-16-2015, 01:36 PM

That's pretty much the only "extra".

There are radios that have what is called Single Side Band (SSB) but for trail comms most other Jeepers aren't likely to be using SSB. It does however allow for longer communications when the atmosphere cooperates. The Uniden 980 SSB is on Amazon right now for about $102... unfortunately those type of radios are much larger than the Cobra 75 you mention.

Mudderoy
12-16-2015, 01:46 PM
That's pretty much the only "extra".

There are radios that have what is called Single Side Band (SSB) but for trail comms most other Jeepers aren't likely to be using SSB. It does however allow for longer communications when the atmosphere cooperates. The Uniden 980 SSB is on Amazon right now for about $102... unfortunately those type of radios are much larger than the Cobra 75 you mention.

SSB is great for longer distances with or without "skip"

roberthleeii
12-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Man.... I have not even been on a trail ride and I already have a wish list that is thousands of dollars :) I miss the good old days where the only thing we worried about was what kid of tires were on the truck. (For what it is worth I have never seen anything match BFGs in the South Texas mud) I have had some crazy fun times playing in the mud, had to use 4x4 and driving skills just to get home and rescue stranded friends and I never thought of any of this stuff. I feel like a complete newbie to all of this :) It sure is fun though.

The two reasons I think the Cobra 75 is the right move for me are: 1) It will do what I need it to do. This includes allowing me to get on trails if one is needed and communicate with a group if I ever get the courage to go out and find one to join. CB seem to be more common for these (of course I could be completely wrong about this). 2) It has such a small foot print I can mount it anywhere and then mount a full sized HAM if I want to “upgrade” in the future.

oh and PA would be a cool toy.

Mudderoy
12-16-2015, 11:29 PM
Man.... I have not even been on a trail ride and I already have a wish list that is thousands of dollars :) I miss the good old days where the only thing we worried about was what kid of tires were on the truck. (For what it is worth I have never seen anything match BFGs in the South Texas mud) I have had some crazy fun times playing in the mud, had to use 4x4 and driving skills just to get home and rescue stranded friends and I never thought of any of this stuff. I feel like a complete newbie to all of this :) It sure is fun though.

The two reasons I think the Cobra 75 is the right move for me are: 1) It will do what I need it to do. This includes allowing me to get on trails if one is needed and communicate with a group if I ever get the courage to go out and find one to join. CB seem to be more common for these (of course I could be completely wrong about this). 2) It has such a small foot print I can mount it anywhere and then mount a full sized HAM if I want to “upgrade” in the future.

oh and PA would be a cool toy.

What you want to install in your Jeep is completely up to you. We just try to share our experience as an assist. I don't think you need more than a vehicle and the right tires now either, well just bring a friend in another 4x4 to help. But you knew that. ;)

xj-jake
12-18-2015, 09:25 AM

Yes I do know that. I have my base station set up with the wx station on the main memory and my mobile right is set up that way too.

xjzaped
07-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Cobra 75 is a HHCH if I'm not mistaken. I like HHCH (Stryker makes my favorite so far but it is aimed at 10m) options…I try to keep at least one radio with a HHCH in my vehicles.

CB is cheaper for some, for others it's more expensive. A lot of people have the throw more power at it mentality when the CB's they are using either have horrible receivers or receivers that have never been aligned (Cobra's 25LTD receiver needs to be aligned from the factory for example). A good antenna is also key…I stay away from fiberglass antennas and don't really see much of a point in running 1/4 wave whips on CB (too large and too impractical to get as perfect of a radiation pattern as possible). Lowest point I'll mount an antenna is the top of the fender…otherwise it's up on the roof.