PDA

View Full Version : yet another stupid to me ????

jeepmedic
11-17-2009, 04:54 AM
ok there is a crossmember between the b and c post of the jeep as seen
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/madmatt_04/100_0368.jpg

what is there purpose? can it be cut out because i want to put a different bar across there so the i can weld in a overhead console in place. i know this i not for saftey it is for useablily. evently yes i will put a cage in it but that time is not now. but can it be cut out with out damaging the rest of the structure??

4.3LXJ
11-17-2009, 08:37 AM
It is just there to support the curvature of the roof and give the whole thing some structural strength.

xj4life2
11-17-2009, 10:11 AM
I don't see why you couldn't remove it as long as what ever you replace it with maintains the integrity of the structure itself . I have seen people totally remove them for front to back rag tops. Keep in mind your dealing with a unibody so in my opinion its all there for a reason.

DETOURS
11-17-2009, 02:03 PM
It's there to keep your roof from vibrating as you travel, all vehicals have them. When removed, be sure to make the new one as close to the interior roof as possible, also squirt puddles of caulk or something similiar between the two to create a dampening gasket of sorts. You'll see what they did at the factory when removed.

jeepmedic
11-17-2009, 07:29 PM
ok! well heres the problem w mine is they dont touch the roof anyways there is actully a 3 in gap from the roof any ways should i try to fix it and put in the bars or cut it out and rebuild?

DETOURS
11-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Did someone pull on them?
Depends on you........just telling you why they are there.:popcorn:

jeepmedic
11-18-2009, 09:17 PM
k thanks all!