PDA

View Full Version : 1995 idler pulley = stranded!

packmule1911
11-24-2015, 08:04 PM
On the to Thanksgiving to visit family. Driving the boys 1995 GC Laredo, i6. Belt blew. Right by an exit and parked it. Got a belt on, started it up, and the upper idler pulley was flopping around with a few sparks flying. I looked on the back side of the pulley and are metal shavings.

So I've got to get the part and get back to the car for another roadside repair.

Is there only one part for the pulley, to be used in any location? The vehicle has a pair.

I think this is what cause the belt failure. It burned it up. There was a bunch of melted material on all of the idler pulley surfaces.

drakan1908
11-24-2015, 08:29 PM
According to Rock Auto they list one as adjustable and the other one as idler pulley. They also list one as fitting upper and lower. I went out to look at my 98 but I can't tell anything.

sent from a van down by the river

drakan1908
11-24-2015, 08:42 PM
On Advance Auto site they list one pulley for yours that says upper/ lower and the same pulley fits mine but they call it adjustable pulley. They also list a 3 inch pulley for yours and a 3 1/2 for mine. I'm not familiar with 95 down Grands.

packmule1911
11-24-2015, 09:43 PM
Thanks. I really don't want to end up with the wrong part and miss pie and turkey.

From what I gather, the bearing ate itself. Common for the one up top to right of the a/c compressor.

drakan1908
11-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Did you make the pie and turkey? Hope everything turned out okay.

packmule1911
11-26-2015, 08:59 AM
All worked out. Found the pulley, got back over to put in it. My Dad helped provide transport to the Jeep. So, while I'd have been happy to have not had to deal with this, my Dad, son, and I got some bonding time as a result of it. Maybe it was all providence.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mudderoy
11-26-2015, 12:13 PM
All worked out. Found the pulley, got back over to put in it. My Dad helped provide transport to the Jeep. So, while I'd have been happy to have not had to deal with this, my Dad, son, and I got some bonding time as a result of it. Maybe it was all providence.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Let that be a lesson to everyone. They are cheap and much easier to change at your house.

packmule1911
11-26-2015, 01:37 PM
The pulley killed the belt, which was only 6 months old. When I pulled the dead pulley only 6 bearings were left, and some large metal curly-ques. Had I know it was going, I'd have fixed it at home. I don't drive this one, and the boy isn't aware yet.

drakan1908
11-26-2015, 02:21 PM
My wife had a 97 Chevy Malibu that the idler pulley went out on me one morning on the way to the grocery store. No warning at all. At the time the car had 38000 miles on it.