PDA

View Full Version : Recent stuff in my ham career

Rlpetty43
10-26-2015, 11:24 AM
on Field day one of my local Elmer's went silent key, this inspired me to upgrade to Extra and become a VE, I studied and took my test in the end of august. upon my upgrade I applied for a vanity call. My old call was KF5ZCO my new call is AC5XJ :xj-red: after that was all in order I applied to become a VE which I found out today that it was approved and sent on Friday. last Saturday was the beginning of the first tech class that I am helping teach.

abebehrmann
10-26-2015, 11:53 AM
Neat, how much does it cost to get a vanity call?

prerunner1982
10-26-2015, 12:04 PM
They just recently got rid of the fee.

Rlpetty43
10-26-2015, 12:17 PM
It's easy and free

bluedragon436
10-26-2015, 01:29 PM
That's pretty awesome... I'd just be happy with just having my first lisc. and be able to start in the Ham career!!!

xj-jake
10-26-2015, 01:54 PM
I remember saying that too James and then Jon posted the study guides and I just did it!

Rlpetty43
10-26-2015, 02:04 PM
That's pretty awesome... I'd just be happy with just having my first lisc. and be able to start in the Ham career!!!

I encourage you to take the first step and get started! I'd be glad to help however I can

bluedragon436
10-26-2015, 02:27 PM
I encourage you to take the first step and get started! I'd be glad to help however I can

Yeah I have been trying to work on it for a little bit now... but work and personal stuff have gotten in the way!! LOL... But definitely want to work on it some more, hopefully I can manage along side of my school stuff, work, and upcoming little one!! I was doing pretty good with the practice tests and study stuff I have on my phone... I just get hung up on the what frequencies are in what class, and every now and again get hung up on the calculations/conversions of power and such... I just got to keep studying and taking practice tests... and am thinking now that I'll be on the ground and at work on regular basis, I might try and find a local Ham club, and see if I might not be able to go to meeting or field days and learn by seeing and talking with the folks... just hoping they won't all be over my head events!!

Mudderoy
10-26-2015, 02:34 PM
I never thought I'd go for a vanity call. Thought it was cheating. You should have to walk to school and you should have the call sign that god, ahhh, the FCC gave ya!

Back when I received my call the K5's and WA5's were the people that had been HAMs a while. My WB5 call was just so common. When I upgraded I went ahead and got a new call. N5 which I liked.

The 30 some odd years later, there's not so many WB5 calls on the air. Stupid me. So I did the vanity call thing and retrieved my original call, or original non-Novice call, WB5ZDD.

I've had it for a few years now, but still need to get new HAM call sign license plates.

Rlpetty43
10-27-2015, 06:59 AM
Two of the reasons I wanted a vanity call was because there was two others in my area that tested when I did. Therefore the other two got kf5zcm, kf5zcn and I got kf5zco, when pronounceing the "zc" if it was a new contact even on the repeators I would have to give it phonetically there are to many letters that sound like z,c,b,d etc. Also I wanted xj in my call lol